Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas splashing out cap 73 super
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

When I got my super the gas lines had recently been replaced and gone through and the previous owner had deleted all of the vents and everything. In doing so they put in a stant gas cap to vent that seems to fit well but on turns I get gas sloshing out.

What is the best way to put in a vent (the metal line is gone that went to the back) so I can go back to an original gas cap and avoid the fuel spillage.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

This may or may not help: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199825

Definitely need to run vent lines ...not necessarily to the rear....just run it up into the dash area, then down to front to allow spillage to go out...and get a proper cap.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:
This may or may not help: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199825

Definitely need to run vent lines ...not necessarily to the rear....just run it up into the dash area, then down to front to allow spillage to go out...and get a proper cap.

I have an original cap I just swapped it for the stant one that was referenced in some thread that is a vented cap. I threw the original back on and I guess I will just run a vent down by the wheel.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

Take some pictures. Others may be able to offer some suggestions.

For a standard you need the vent lines from the tank. A super may have similar reasons.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

I already put the vent line back in, just ran it down to the front wheel.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:

Do you get flames on hot days???
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:

I tried something similar. When I filled up the gas tank and parked the car in such a way gasoline would drain out the front of the car. I'd leave puddles everywhere I went. Needless to say I put everything back together with the charcoal canister.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Hatracks wrote:

I tried something similar. When I filled up the gas tank and parked the car in such a way gasoline would drain out the front of the car. I'd leave puddles everywhere I went. Needless to say I put everything back together with the charcoal canister.

I have a pretty good working knowledge of expansion, static head, and suction so routed the line appropriately. Not to worried.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

It sounds like you've got it then. Good to hear.
Bleu 72 Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

Gas was splashing out and running down along the front fender (on my beautiful paint job). Crying or Very sad

The guy who expertly restored my Beetle thought a new gas cap would fix this. It didn't. He was sure everything else was right, so he said try (another) new gas cap. I was skeptical, but... Now no more leakage or gas smell. Very Happy

Lesson: It could be the gas cap, even if you've tried a new one. Shocked

Note: These new gas caps were surely third-party parts. I think you can never be sure when you buy third-party parts. Surprised Pretty sure you can't order from Wolfsburg any more. Very Happy
diamondblue1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

I had a leaky Stant on my 72 super , I put the gasket from it on an original VW cap, it's OK now !
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

The stock gas cap was solid and not vented. You want the gas cap to maintain a water (gas) tight seal. The placement of the filler so close to the tank means hard turns can throw liquid fuel up against the inside of the cap. A vented cap will spill liquid fuel down the side of the car.
But the tank also needs to breath. If left fully sealed it can create a vacuum as the fuel is consumed and the level goes down. This can actually stop or negatively impact fuel flow to the engine. On the flip side, a car left in the sun will start to heat up and the gasoline will expand increasing tank pressure. This could actually push fuel out the rear flooding the carb if there isn't a check valve somewhere in the fuel lines.

So basically you need a vent to the gas tank, but it should NOT be at the gas cap. The vent lines should route up higher than the tank to limit liquid fuel from flowing out the end of the vent line. VW came up with some elaborately hosed systems that were generally basic in design. Earlier model years (pre-emissions) just ran the tank vent hose out of the trunk and down near the front wheels as described above. Spilling fuel onto the ground in the '60s was no big thing Laughing .
Just be aware that venting raw gasoline fumes into the atmosphere is one of the main reasons for emission laws. If you live in a location that requires your car to pass emission test, you will likely fail with a hacked system that dumps raw gasoline fumes out of the car. If your car is old enough to be exempt... then do what you need to do to avoid liquid gasoline from spilling onto the ground.

Oh, and if it is not understood... liquid gasoline will catch fire (flammable), but gasoline fumes are explosive (combustible). Keep any flames or sparks away from your vent hoses! And if you keep your Beetle in the closed garage in the hot summer... expect that gasoline smell to linger. And don't have an open flame in the garage with the doors closed (gas water heater?)! Surprised
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

n the mid-1990s, my garage housed my 1988 Mazda truck and my 1971 Super Convertible. I had a gas odor in the garage. I finally found that the Mazda mechanical fuel pump intermittently leaked, so replaced that, thought I solved the odor issue.

Nope: the factory gas cap was also leaking on the 1971 Convertible, its rubber gasket. Back in those days the local Pep Boys stocked its replacement cap.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Lemons 4 Gigi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

Had this issue but a replacement stock style gas cap fixed it. I believe it was an IAP cap from RockAuto...
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gas splashing out cap 73 super Reply with quote

It was not a difficult, or time consuming task to replace the original venting system on my 1974 Super Beetle. The fumes eventually vent to the charcoal filter, and from there to the carburetor. No fumes of fuel is vented to the atmosphere in front of my car.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: