Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me build the baddest 67 Vert out there please!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Help me build the baddest 67 Vert out there please! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, this has been dream car... I finally bought one. This basically my first air cooled. A 1967 beetle I bought without seeing it in person. A lot photos prior though.

From the moment I saw the car I fell in love, couldn't believe how solid it looked it appears to have zero rust.

History of the car it was in a barn with a bunch of classic British cars. The owner walked out one day the barn was on fire. His workers were able to save beetle because the top was off sadly the other classic British cars burned up. The interior was melted for my car. Car did come with a big box of parts for some things missing in the photo a lot of the other stuff I'm not certain what they are.

Before the car burned up the owner had a body guy do all the metal work and repaint the car. Also from what I was told the cars engine rebuilt a few years back but it sat. Inside the car came with 4 classic American Spirit wheels never mounted. The vin numbers and engine seems to be original (though the air filter is incorrect I have already ordered a new one.) The only other thing I've done so far is start to wipe the car down with a wet rag.

I paid $5,000.

What is wrong, what is right with this car? I know the head lamps are incorrect and rear lights too. Are fenders correct 1967s? If everyone could give me feed back please it would be greatly appreciated I'm learning from near the ground up. This will basically be my build post.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

The good news is, you got a Beetle that has a lot of one year only parts, which makes it considerably more valuable than a 66, or 68. The bad news is, you got a Beetle with a lot of one year only parts.

A lot will be determined by the manufacture date of the car as to what is correct. The front fenders appear aftermarket, but most 67’s have the later headlights. The bumpers have unique over riders on the later 67’s. The correct seats would be low backs. Here’s a nice thread about 67 only items.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187814&highlight=1967

I guess it depends on how perfect/correct you want to get, and what you want to do with the car? I would get what you need to get it road worthy, and enjoy it. By all means, if you come across a correct part that you need within your budget, buy it. Imo, a nicely redone 67 vert is going to be valued in the $20k-$30k range. You could very easily surpass that with the vehicle cost, and additional things needed to make it into a factory correct OEM vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

wow, nice looking car. Congrats, i think you made a great buy.
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Obviously the wrong tail lights, no interior/wrong seat, and missing it's top.

The white fender beading looks goofy too.

Pan looks solid.
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 - Congratulations! And welcome to the wonderfully crazy world of 1967 VW Convertible ownership! I've been the 'steward' of one myself, for over 30 years and there's lots to enjoy - and fret about - with what many would consider to be the high point of VW's long evolution - the 1967 VW Convertible!

Your basic body pics show it has excellent 'bones', and a decent paint job! That's a HUGE bonus!!! The pics also show a few minor correctable things as well...

The tail lights are '68 - up. Front fenders and both front / rear bumpers definitely aftermarket. Loose that 90's "Hawaiian-Kal-Kustom look" white fender beading. The one year only body and front hood aluminum trim spears appear missing. Various components of the engine are incorrect for a proper '67, (generator, fuel pump, crank pulley, air cleaner) but you DO have the one year only rear breast plate, short coil (painted over) and the elusive ORIGINAL white colored (ALL aftermarket repops are black) spark plug wire holders from that era. Details! Wink Does the engine number begin w/ "H0"?

The biggest concern I'd have in terms of finishing out the restoration would be to CORRECTLY do the top and interior, since it appears to be missing most all the goods and here's where the "one year only" things become an impossible dream with the typical '67 convertible, if done correctly.. If possible, post a picture of the "big box of parts" it came with. You might find the 67 only convertible seat belts in there. Your VIN will determine if it is an "early" or "later" version, which will tell you which version of the low back seats for your '67 you'll need. (latch on side of backrest or down low as the '66.) Same goes for the top mounting to the body. Early = as previous years tacked to wooden bows, later = w/ cable and cinched up tight. It appears that you might have the later version by closer inspection of the rear photo.. You have the one year only rear view mirror! And the sunvisors look intact with the windshield top mounts!!..What wheels / rims are rolling on it now?

You can probably do a quickie, 'just get her running' type of thing without paying too much attention to the details for now. Acquire the necessary parts for your restoration along the way. For $5,000, you did GREAT!

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Hello, thank you all for all the messages and help so far everyone. It took me months and months of hard work, not rush or getting excited to find this car.
I dodged some real bullets with the help of the Samba community. The VIN is a late model 67 made after September and I was told and top uses a late model "cable." The top frame metal seems to be in excellent condition and work fine but all rotten wood or missing. The engine is correct for the year and appears to be original. As I had mentioned a correct air intake has already been ordered. The wheels (I believe) are the ones that you put VW hubcaps on others wise they look awful. The car is missing the hub caps.

I'll have questions... One question is since I'm putting a complete new top on should replace the metal frame? There are after markets frames for $450 with no wood. Would it be best to do that or risk failure with the stock. I also have the back window, chrome trim around the glass, the glass looks super old and foggy. Same questions should I repair these items or go with after market? What would save more money and cause less issues. I plan to put up all my original parts and not sell them and keep collecting what I need.

Another question is (wheels) I want to order a set of new rims Fuchs. I have been told not to go above 15 inch 7 inch wide or I'll have steering problems from someone. How bad would the steering be? I would like to put 15.7 on the front and 15.8 deep dish Fuchs on the back when I heard that. I feel wider tires are safer/look meaner. Thoughts, are 15 inches the way to go or do 16 inches look funny on our cars and give us narrower tires?

One last question what does the late model 67 rear bumper look like? I'm so confused! I have someone tell me he's selling one locally for $300 with the rear reverse lights, is that a good deal?

Thank you for all the comments and help. Great to be finally a VW owner of the community and I plan to never sell the car. I'll take more photos of the parts I have. I also named her "Christine."

Last edited by Achtung360 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Popcorn

Good luck, appears to be another money pit,
Appears to have top frame, is it correct? Call Chuck he will tell you.
Wrong seats, arent 67 convert rear seats specific to the car?
Wrong fenders, wrong bumpers, wrong running boards, what shape are bumper brackets in?
No backup lights, no rain protection on engine lid. Does it have window frames? Does it have side windows? Plus all the little odds and ends, IE: blots and nuts of the car.

This is just from pics you provided. Post more pics, well be able to tell you more.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Popcorn

Wrong fenders, wrong bumpers, wrong running boards, what shape are bumper brackets in?
No backup lights, no rain protection on engine lid. Does it have window frames? Does it have side windows? Plus all the little odds and ends, IE: blots and nuts of the car.

This is just from pics you provided. Post more pics, well be able to tell you more.

Thanks for the positive comment. Find another 5k 1967 convertible in this condition with no *rust* I'm buying. Cleary, as you know, their falling out of the sky. I wrote the interior was melted in a fire, those obviously the wrong seats. The windows all there and roll up and down fine. Can everyone help me answer the other questions? Thanks!

Last edited by Achtung360 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
and the elusive ORIGINAL white colored (ALL aftermarket repops are black) spark plug wire holders from that era. Details!

Could you elaborate on this? Are these "wire holders" the clips on the tin in the back? What years are those on?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Popcorn

Nobody mentioned that the spare wheel is wrong.
Clearly the car should be crushed. Crying or Very sad
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Achtung360 wrote:
The top frame metal seems to be in excellent condition and work fine but all rotten wood or missing.

Do yourself a huge favor, and save / use that original top frame - since it's in decent condition. It's another thing in the plus column! (provided it's originally from THIS car) All the wooden bows and pieces can be bought as separate replacement components. STAY AWAY from aftermarket things such as convertible top frames! I can't imagine the nightmares you'd have trying to get something like an aftermarket ("one size fits all"...etc etc) frame to properly fit or function. Rear window glass and metal window frames are available as used oem parts from time to time on the Samba, and not '67 specific. Again, avoid aftermarket here too.

Please post more pictures of what you have so we can help determine more clearly where you stand - including the "awful" wheels. The original slotted wide 5 wheels were only used in '66 - '67, and just look RIGHT on a '67. It's your car - so do what you want to with it. Very Happy But lowering / "Fuch"-ing it up / "rodding" a '67 convertible will likely deface and devalue it.

For the rear bumper rails, it's a somewhat subtle difference between the early / late rails as the late ones descend downward to meet the bumper blade. Early are as all prior rear bumpers '66 and earlier, Later rails have a slight downward "slope" from the bumperettes down to the blade for improved deck lid clearance.

Late 67 rear bumper

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
67conv wrote:
and the elusive ORIGINAL white colored (ALL aftermarket repops are black) spark plug wire holders from that era. Details!

Could you elaborate on this? Are these "wire holders" the clips on the tin in the back? What years are those on?

Yes, those ones! Smile ..Not much really to elaborate on. These got brittle with age and heat, would crack and be rendered useless, and either ignored or replaced with the current "black" ones sold everywhere. Not '67 specific, used for many years throughout the 60's and early 70's. However, the white ones are a correct detail for a properly restored engine appearance. Nobody makes them in the original white in the aftermarket world..

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

So, what are your plans for this car? Do you intend to bring it back as close to original condition as possible, using all the correct parts, like this example from the gallery ↓

Or are you OK with a driver-quality car that may not have all the correct parts but will look decent and be safe and dependable, more like this one ↓

Or maybe a mild custom like this ↓

Knowing where you hope to wind up, it'll be easier to recommend how to proceed. You'll also need to take inventory of whatever loose parts you have and either post photos or list them in this thread.

From your pics, this car appears to be pretty solid and certainly worth saving. That being said, if you plan on going all the way with it and doing everything right (like the first pic above), then plan on spending at least 2X or even 3X the original purchase price to get it there.

Achtung360 wrote:
...I was told the cars engine rebuilt a few years back but it sat.

I'd be a bit skeptical about that. That motor looks to be pretty well worn for having recently been rebuilt and not used very much.
This is what a correct, freshly-rebuilt '67 motor should look like ↓

Might also be a good idea to go thru other similar projects to get an idea of what you'll be needing to do with your car: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509497
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
For the rear bumper rails, it's a somewhat subtle difference between the early / late rails as the late ones descend downward to meet the bumper blade. Early are as all prior rear bumpers '66 and earlier, Later rails have a slight downward "slope" from the bumperettes down to the blade for improved deck lid clearance.

Late 67 rear bumper

I was curious about this; are you confirming that there are "early" '67 and "late" '67 overriders? I ask because there are about six instances of literature in the Samba archives that illustrate 67's with the non-sloping overriders (AKA "towel bars"), seemingly suggesting that the earliest 67's didn't get the down-sloping bars.

Of course, this could've just been a disconnect between the artwork department and the engineering department during the promotional preps phase.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Busstom, you may be correct about the early 67s not getting non-slopping towel bars. My early (Mid-Sept. of 66) 67 didn't have the sloping bars and I believe them to have been OG to the car. It did have the 67 front towel bar that pocks out in the center. Seems like a person can learn something new almost every day here on the Samba. Achtune 360 I think you have a winner for the price you paid, I would have jumped on it if I could have. Smile
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Busstom, you may be correct about the early 67s not getting non-slopping towel bars. My early (Mid-Sept. of 66) 67 didn't have the sloping bars and I believe them to have been OG to the car. It did have the 67 front towel bar that pocks out in the center. Seems like a person can learn something new almost every day here on the Samba.

This is all part of the "fun" of the '67's. Yes, most definitely there were early non-sloping '67 towel rail over riders (same as '66 and prior years), and then a "sloped" modification was made sometime after the 1967 production year got underway. I think this was in late September or October of 1966, if my memory is correct. I have an August 1966 production convertible which has the original old, non sloping style over riders.

Achtung360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Big Bill wrote:
Busstom, you may be correct about the early 67s not getting non-slopping towel bars. My early (Mid-Sept. of 66) 67 didn't have the sloping bars and I believe them to have been OG to the car. It did have the 67 front towel bar that pocks out in the center. Seems like a person can learn something new almost every day here on the Samba.

This is all part of the "fun" of the '67's. Yes, most definitely there were early non-sloping '67 towel rail over riders (same as '66 and prior years), and then a "sloped" modification was made sometime after the 1967 production year got underway. I think this was in late September or October of 1966, if my memory is correct. I have an August 1966 production convertible which has the original old, non sloping style over riders.

Hi, thanks to you and everyone for all the help. This is all new to me but I did understand 1967 is a one year and in many peoples eyes the one to have. (Google basically says that when you google "What is best classic VW Year." lol... I looked so hard for one that didn't need 5-10k in metal work. I'm going to post photos of everything I have soon.

These are the wheels I thinking about buying, can everyone give me some feedback on handling or any issues I might have?

Info
4 Maxilte Wheels for Porsche 911 7x15/8x15 fully polished w/TÜV
Bolt Pattern: 5x130 mm, Hub Bore: 71.6 mm.
2 wheels 7x15, 5x130, offset 23,3 for the front axle and 2 wheels 8x15 ET 10,6 for the back axle.

Thank You

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

My early 67 2nd. mth of production had OG sloping towel bars. An OG car.
IMO you are so far away about wheels and tires,

Im also a bit confused, just a few days ago you posted a yellow Kab. That you passed on.
Its now friday and you researched/purchased and had this red one delivered already? That is extremely fast service.? What transport service did you use?
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought my First 1967 Convertible. What is right and whats wrong? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Big Bill wrote:

Good info, another mystery solved Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: