Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

I know mine were. Remember the "Fragile" boxes I had them sitting on, those pieces were fragile. I made new metal parts out of aluminum, that Tram liked, and used 3M window Weld to glue them together(new to old). Most of them rot from the back side, and you won't see the rot, until you remove them from the car.

As for the folding roof, the width looked good up front, and ok at the end of the doors. The rear lower hoop might not be wide enough though. I was just wondering if the front had it's bow in place or not, as the front of the top material attaches to it. If it's wider than a T-14, then you'll need a different source for your material. This may, or may not be a good thing for you and Pedro. I did like how the Ghia top frame dropped into the pockets Tram carved in though. Seems that both top frames must be pretty close to one another. The cabling will be fun though.
Keep the pics coming, we like pics. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Nothing beats the real deal when restoring any classic to as was - dealership condition. But as parts dry up many people are left with the scraps and or nothing at all. Most of us on here understand this with T34 restoration. When I had seen the T34 take off with special radio plate - I ordered one. It was DHL shipped fast to me with a tracker. Got here in less than a week. I have yet to turn it on, but was so impressed with the face plate I decided to share sooner. Just the face/bezel itself is a very accurate replica of the original. The holes are a bit smaller than OG but can be made bigger easily. The plate behind it has a fake radio dial skript for accuracy - if I can find a fault so far, its glued on a bit off. I think I can fix it by heating up the glue and moving it. Over all if you want a modern replica in your T34 for a radio to play off of your bluetooth and or direct plug in - with modern wiring for amps and what not - this is a good purchase. I paid $240 shipped. The by product is that the face plate is a very accurate piece for those in need of one for their real Blaupunkt. [email protected]
www.volkstory.com

www.facebook.com/volkstorybkk
353 Ramkhamhaeng 166 Yaek 4 Minburee Ramkhamhaeng RoadBangkok Thailand 10510
Mobile & WhatsApp
+66924991693
+66946146929

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

well that's a pretty good knockoff, the radio body is crazy tiny though Laughing
it would be nice if the did a RCA sub out, I'm gonna check those out.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

let us know what you think soundwise. I put one of these cheapies in and it's coming right back out. same remote. sure it's bluetooth, looks old, and has RCA's out. something about the chips, it can't process bass with vocals at the same time. I can play a fairly bass heavy song and it sounds great until the vocalist comes on. then is does a good job at processing the vocals but not the bass. at all. it's so odd because I don't understand why except if it's cheap chinese chips that just can't handle the dynamics across the board. I plugged in an old tape deck (seriously, old nice JVC) and it blew it out of the water.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
let us know what you think soundwise. I put one of these cheapies in and it's coming right back out. same remote. sure it's bluetooth, looks old, and has RCA's out. something about the chips, it can't process bass with vocals at the same time. I can play a fairly bass heavy song and it sounds great until the vocalist comes on. then is does a good job at processing the vocals but not the bass. at all. it's so odd because I don't understand why except if it's cheap chinese chips that just can't handle the dynamics across the board. I plugged in an old tape deck (seriously, old nice JVC) and it blew it out of the water.

I definitely wouldn't accuse this of being a banger core to your system. Just for the reason you're talking about as it's all crap from China. But if somebody wanted modern accoutrements in anything old and classic, these are the way to go I think for a lot of classic car restorers. I've seen it done several times on car shows as well where custom units are made. I've seen several videos on YouTube where guys make them. I was going to have an actual blaupunkt deck converted, maybe still will, but it cost way more than this thing does.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Between working and or generally being lazy, not much in the way of working on any car has been done. I did however get the carport finished so I can have cover from the toasty warmth we have to endure living in San Diego County Cool Laughing

Ill move the Ghia in and keep the bus out front under a car cover - me thinks. The only thing I've done recently is cleaning up the wide five front spindles that will make its way onto the the Ghia - keeping the 64 theme it will be moving forward. Hopefully I stay motivated. Especially since I still haven't looked over the car in full/total. That will be a turning point as Im sure to get it drivable the way it is for now.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

More progress on the wide 5's. Rebuilt all the slave cylinders and just need to clean and paint the backing plates.

Pulling the front brake assemblies off and refurbishing early wide five type 3's is an easy and rewarding project. If your slave cylinders are in good to decent shape - you can find the parts to rebuild them. A quick search revealed the 7/8th or 22mm kits and rear slave cylinders are readily available. The rears are a better choice if you are missing parts.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Still waiting for the backing plates to get back from the blaster. Once I get them - paint them then install them - these babies will be ready for use. Clean and snazzy.

Then Ill clean the brake pads, install the springs as well.

That's a Hazet 773 - 19 mm lug wrench. Cool

We also had a wind storm the other day and had to fix the half ass shed thing my car is in for the moment Mad Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Nice work on the brakes Jason. I’m glad the vert survived the storm!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Nice work on the brakes Jason. I’m glad the vert survived the storm!

Yeah, now that the car port is done at the house - its time to move it.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

This project is pretty much done. I have another set I think Ill be doing as well.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Jason, painting backing plates is so 2000's. Get those powdercoated and protected
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
Jason, painting backing plates is so 2000's. Get those powdercoated and protected

Not a fan. Never was. Smoots out the lines and loses detail in my opinion. 2000's? Didn't I just see you the other day stuck in 1963 with me? Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
ibjack wrote:

Not a fan. Never was. Smoots out the lines and loses detail in my opinion. 2000's? Didn't I just see you the other day stuck in 1963 with me? Wink Laughing

few drops of brake fluid ruins the paint. Im getting too old to do things twice. I guess if parts stay on the shelf they will be fine Cool
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
notchboy wrote:
ibjack wrote:

few drops of brake fluid ruins the paint. Im getting too old to do things twice. I guess if parts stay on the shelf they will be fine Cool

Not when I wield the can.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Now that I'm back home from my work travels, I've got back to tinkering. Pedro had taken in some of his, some of my stuff to get plated. Ill be posting here next with newly restored bumpers and overrriders Cool

When I gave him all that stuff to be plated, I included my tail lights. These are nice tail lights and honestly only one is dented a bit, but I wanted them perfect. Pedro returned them to me because you cant dip them while attached to the pot metal base. Doh. Rolling Eyes

Im meeting up with him later today as well as going to Robertos - Numero Uno. Cool

Here are some quick shots of the ring removal - just file down the retaining nubs and negotiate it off with a soft blow hammer and wood.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Fresh from plating - old school style with chemicals that eat your fillings out. These just back from the Type 3 Factory Pipeline down here in San Diego. Still waiting on the center blade for the front and my SB13's. I'm going to assemble the rear on asap. Gracias amigo Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

It's so shiney and clean. Not like my faded and dented. Very Happy
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

Bling!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Type 34 Ghia Convertible Project Reply with quote

After the big unwrapping, I chased all the holes and studs then I had to paint all the backs to make them look nice like the fronts. I also had to fix a broke connector on one of the rear license plate light buckets before I put them on.

Next Ill paint the rear bumper brackets black and assemble the rear blade.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: