Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 Eurovan roof leak through rack screws
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jschwell2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: 2002 Eurovan roof leak through rack screws Reply with quote

Has anyone had leaks through the screws that hold the roof rack rail to the fibergalss pop top? Drips are coming into the van at the black "buttons". Not much water but very annoying. Tried unscrewing but either too tight for me or rusted. Is there a topical solution - silicone, henrys or ?? Does anybody know of a shop in the L.A. area that would tackle either removing and replacing the rack or taking it off and sealing the holes.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan roof leak through rack screws Reply with quote

I don't remember a roof rack option when i bought my 2002 - is it aftermarket?
jschwell2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan roof leak through rack screws Reply with quote

Don't know. Bought mine used with the rack rails already installed.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan roof leak through rack screws Reply with quote

I would guess someone used the bolt holes for an aftermarket and didn't seal well. A thin bead of RTV applied around each bolt head with a gloved finger would seal them nicely, though - and no one will know about the aesthetic.
lifsoncosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan roof leak through rack screws Reply with quote

Yes, Gowesty encouraged the Yamaka racks. Don't do it. Use VBH tape instead. Stronger and wont result in leaks.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan roof leak through rack screws Reply with quote

jschwell2 wrote:
Has anyone had leaks through the screws that hold the roof rack rail to the fiberglass pop top? Drips are coming into the van at the black "buttons". Not much water but very annoying.

I've sprayed "FlexSeal" clear on areas on my roof that were suspect, after a good cleaning. Seems to be a success. (Same folks who make FlexTape, well known to late-night TV watchers-- like the boat sawed in half and taped back together. And Flex Glue etc.)
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan roof leak through rack screws Reply with quote

I sprayed the roof area above my leaking poptop latch with clear flexseal out of the can. It didn't go on thin or clear at all. It spewed out pretty think and goopy whitish splotches. It probably stopped the leak (not tested yet), but it looks terrible. I think a careful application of clear silicone caulk touching only the bolt heads as suggested above could have turned out much nicer. Your mileage may vary.
2003 Westfalia "Tourmaline" (sold)
2021 MB Metris Getaway “TheDarkSide”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: