Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vs-works
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

I am trying to install a standard 1600 engine into standard 1974 tranny. But it will not fully go into the bell housing of the tranny. You can see how much of a gap there is. I have place a pics of the gap, my trans housing and my pressure plate. From the attempts of me fitting it, metal has shaved off:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

It looks from your photos that the engine isn't going straight into the trans. The back (crank pulley end) looks to be tilted downward. You need the splined hole in the clutch plate to line up with the input shaft on the trans. If those two can't engage properly, the motor won't go in.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

You do have the correct pressure plate for your throwout beating, good.

I'd pull that accelerator cable forward out of the fan shroud tube and push it through that after the engine is seated, that's how I ALWAYS did that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vs-works
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
It looks from your photos that the engine isn't going straight into the trans. The back (crank pulley end) looks to be tilted downward. You need the splined hole in the clutch plate to line up with the input shaft on the trans. If those two can't engage properly, the motor won't go in.

Thank you for your reply, but if almost feels like the diameter of the flwheel is too large.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Agreed, the engine isn't going in straight, and with the gap shown I'd say there's a good chance the clutch splines aren't lining up with the trans input shaft. Rotating the crank pulley a bit is sometimes needed to align the splines. Hopefully a clutch alignment tool was used during reassembly if you had the pressure plate off.
vs-works
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
You do have the correct pressure plate for your throwout beating, good.

I'd pull that accelerator cable forward out of the fan shroud tube and push it through that after the engine is seated, that's how I ALWAYS did that.

Thank you for your response. My accelerator tube is sitting behind he opening of the trans.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

I've installed well over 100 VW engines. You need to lift/push forward on the fan shroud/cuss !!!

All at the same time.

You also posted in the incorrect forum, so makes me wonder.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Moved.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Moved.

Then never mind.

Last edited by Cusser on Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
vs-works
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Sorry I did not notice until pointed out. Thanks for the move.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

While I agree you need to have the input shaft lined up, maybe check the length of stud protruding through the nuts on the rear mounts. I had a rhino mount tighten an abnormal amount of thread of the mount through the nut into the bell housing and the flywheel was actually hitting it. Maybe brush paint the forward face of the flywheel, and it will transfer the paint to the studs if they are hitting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

vs-works wrote:

It looks like the studs on your motor (tranny) mounts are too long, could the flywheel be hanging up on the tips? Maybe while you're fighting it you're generating chips off other parts of the bell housing.

Edit: Oops, gkeeton already said it Embarassed
My bad.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

With out proper alignment of the clutch disc and pressure plate that engine will never go in.
I battled one for hours and then the VW guy showed up with a transmission input shaft and aligned the clutch disc and pressure plate. The engine slipped in like a well lubed XXX.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
With out proper alignment of the clutch disc and pressure plate that engine will never go in.
I battled one for hours and then the VW guy showed up with a transmission input shaft and aligned the clutch disc and pressure plate. The engine slipped in like a well lubed XXX.

When I "lost" my alignment tool for a few years, I used a wooden dowel and duct tape, a whittled down broom handle piece, etc., as alignment tools.

The real tool is inexpensive !
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Is this engine + flywheel the same as previously mounted to the transmission? What I mean is... could that be a 6v 180mm transmission and you are trying to fit a 12v 200mm flywheel into the bellhousing? A 200mm flywheel can be made to fit into a 6v transmission, but some material must be ground out from the inside of the bellhousing. Also, the 6v starter must be replaced with a 12v and the proper 6v to 12v starter adapter bushing installed.

If you have a 200mm bellhousing then double check that your clutch is properly centered under the pressure plate. A clutch alignment tool helps with this.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
could that be a 6v 180mm transmission and you are trying to fit a 12v 200mm flywheel into the bellhousing?

He stated it was 1 standard 1974 transmission.

[email protected] wrote:
While I agree you need to have the input shaft lined up, maybe check the length of stud protruding through the nuts on the rear mounts. I had a rhino mount tighten an abnormal amount of thread of the mount through the nut into the bell housing and the flywheel was actually hitting it. Maybe brush paint the forward face of the flywheel, and it will transfer the paint to the studs if they are hitting.

That's a great suggestion; your studs of his mounts look long in your photo, maybe he has non-stock rear mounts.

I'm attaching a photo of my own 1970 after I replaced its stock rear mounts in 2016, and the studs on mine are shorter. Ignore the "safety wiring" for the throwout bearing, as I removed that and never used that.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Yep, that ^^^ (what Ashman said) was the first thing that popped into my mind, cuz I been there. But the OP said "74 standard" tranny, so we ASSumed that he's CERTAIN that it's a '74 tranny, but knowing the whacky VW configurations that flourished over the decades, I suppose there could've been a tranny in existence, produced in 73-74, that could be conceived as "standard," that was actually designed around the smaller 6V flywheel, that could be causing him this grief. Think

Last edited by Busstom on Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Damn Cuss, you tree'd me while I was typing! Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Damn Cuss, you tree'd me while I was typing! Smile

Even though I'm not sure what "tree'd me" means, Bustom ????
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

I think it's Internet jargon for "beat me to the punch," or "got the jump on me." Maybe it came from the "tree" of red, yellow and green lights used in drag racing. Think
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: