Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear mounted 6bt
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douchery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Rear mounted 6bt Reply with quote

Hey everyone This is my first time posting here. I have been on and off the site for a few months, I’m building my first Baja out of my beat up 72 beetle in a few months and I need some advice on a transaxle for torque cause I’m rear mounting a inline 6 cylinder Cummins. Also building a roll cage to help with the added weight I wanted to do a awd build but I think I’d have to compromise the rearmounted design not all too sure though. also need help with the measurements on the roll cage
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted 6bt Reply with quote

Through a VW transaxle designed for 50ft/lbs of torque??????????

Ummm...

NO!

Maybe with a Mendeola, or a Wedell HV-1. AND you're talking $8-10K for that trans.

MAYBE if you chose a 2 liter 4 cylinder diesel. Like one from a Jetta. VW used a diesel engine in VW Vanagons with an 094 trans. They had to beef it up extra.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted 6bt Reply with quote

Probably going to need a set of caster wheels on rear to help hold up rear end....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Douchery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted 6bt Reply with quote

Ok that's what I thought. m not tryna pay out the ass for a transmission either I still want the 6bt so any suggestions on a tranny that I can rear mount for my build
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted 6bt Reply with quote

Douchery wrote:
Ok that's what I thought. m not tryna pay out the ass for a transmission either I still want the 6bt so any suggestions on a tranny that I can rear mount for my build

I think, as others posted, that you will have a challenge keeping the front wheels on the ground just sitting still. The weight of a 6bt in a rear engine VW cantilevered behind the rear wheels will be quite out of balance and maybe even hard to drive straight down the road. The leverage factor alone from the length of the engine will be massive then factor in the difference in weight between a tiny magnesium case VW and a cast iron 6bt. Shocked a 6bt weighs in at around 1100lbs and a vw type 1 engine is around 250. A complete VW bug weighs in around 1700lbs

Good luck with the build. Have fun, post pictures.

I can't help with inexpensive transaxle ideas though.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted 6bt Reply with quote

It's going to be a challenge to find springs strong enough and tires with a high enough load rating too!

If you were building a trailer queen to take to car shows a set of wheelie bars will get you in and out of the buildings. If you are actually thinking of driving this thing... all bets are off!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted 6bt Reply with quote

If you will use a 6bt, The ONLY thing you can use from a beetle is the body.

You will need a custom frame, suspension, HUGE transmission… the whole works. Adding weight means you need fore frame, which adds weight, which means more suspension, which adds weight. It’s a vicious cycle.

Remember, the 6BT is very violent power delivery. The pulses every 120 degrees on the crank are significant with a 6BT, so it needs one heck of a transmission to handle it. A Mendeola or HV1 will not hold up with that engine, nor will the bellhousing be anywhere near big enough to fit the size flywheel required by such an engine. I guarantee you that the 120 degree crankshaft pulses will absolutely trash those transmissions.

Mid engine will be mandatory to keep the wheels on the ground…

Or just buy an early 1990’s Dodge Ram with the Cummins engine, which was an updated version of the 6BT.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rear mounted 6bt Reply with quote

I run a Ford V6 in my rail. It's an old school cast iron engine and weighs in at about 375 pounds. I noticed right away that it felt "butt heavy" going around turns, regardless of whether it was on the street or dirt. I compensated by moving some gear forward and mounting the spare tire on the front deck. That worked out ok and it seems to pretty well balanced now but I think it would be pretty much impossible to balance out for an engine that weighs in at more than a half a ton!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: