Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old/new throw out bearing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Old/new throw out bearing Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Bit the bullet, do it right, take the time it needs to convert to the "modern", guided set-up. I think you'll thank yourself in the long-term. Wink

That is what just might happen but that means not running this Buggy this year as I will not put any more money into this worn out swing axle tranny. It gets an IRS and 944 torsion bars and brakes if I have to take it down and there is no time for that until after summer is over.

No one locally has stepped up to offer a ring to try on the pressure plate and being the cheap SOB I am I refuse to pay $68 shipping for a $20 item and have it not fit.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Old/new throw out bearing Reply with quote

Geez, you're pretty cheap. So much of a cheapskate, in fact, that you are almost as bad as me. I don't know about you, but it always comes back to bite me in the ass.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Old/new throw out bearing Reply with quote

Two more days of holiday left then off to pick up Grand kids. Was hoping for a Buggy run for ice cream or 3 - will see if a farmer fix will get us there, then put it away for the big IRS conversion this winter.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Old/new throw out bearing Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Two more days of holiday left then off to pick up Grand kids. Was hoping for a Buggy run for ice cream or 3 - will see if a farmer fix will get us there, then put it away for the big IRS conversion this winter.

Gotcha..you've got your priorities straight. Very Happy Best of luck with the fix!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Old/new throw out bearing Reply with quote

Well, I started grinding to give the throw out bearing more movement to keep it from binding and lost my nerve! It just seemed too sketchy so the kids went for ice cream in the Jetta and Buggy rides across the fields in the sand rail. Back to the problem today. The IRS tranny that will be going in this winter has the correct shaft but some Bozo had trouble getting the clutch arm off and mushroomed the Be-Jesus out of the end of the shaft. So 4 hours of sweating and filing and tapping and it comes off, the shaft comes out and so does the one in the Buggy. Should have gone this route to start with!

Did you know there are 2 different shaft diameters? 16mm and 20 mm? I didn't so back to square 1!

Turns out that they used the 16 mm shafts up to '72. The old style bearing stopped at '70. It seems '71 & '72 are the crossover years with the new bearing and the old shaft! I have the wrong combination no matter which way you want to flip them! So I either need to get the pressure plate ring (no one can tell me if it fits the Bus 210 mm pressure plate, they never had them) and use the old style parts or - find a '71 - '72 cross shaft and use the new style parts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am recording this fiasco here because I could not find the answers. Apparently no one has put a type 4 engine onto an older swing axle before so this info might be of use to someone else some day.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Old/new throw out bearing Reply with quote

I did an upright type 4 engine in a swingaxle, just swapped the throw out arm and bearing to the guided style (used stock VW parts and a press in guide sleeve from ACN). The smaller throw out arm is 71-2 maybe 73, pretty easy to find.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: