Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

Hello Folks-

What is the best carb swap kit for a type 3? streetable, easily tuned, and fits well under the rear cover?

I am still working on the FI, replacing hoses, etc, but was curious in case I ever decide to swap to carbs.

I understand there is a performance drop and deviation from stock, but it would tidy up the engine compartment and simplify the set-up.

Just a Plan B, FI purists Smile

Dave
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

CB Performance sells re-jetted for VW 1600 Weber 34's with the Good linkage for a little extra money.
I like my FI & I'm keeping it!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone will say to keep your FI.

But to answer your question, why not the stock PDSIT carbs with the stock oil bath cleaner? Seems to have been perfectly fine for the factory which built carburetor cars for other markets while the US received FI.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

your other alternative, new EFI
http://thedubshop.com/

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

If all else fails with the FI you just go back to the 67 (?) Dual port dual carb setup with factory intake and air cleaner. It's well designed to fit under the lid and on top of your existing engine.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

pitargue wrote:
I'm sure everyone will say to keep your FI.

But to answer your question, why not the stock PDSIT carbs with the stock oil bath cleaner? Seems to have been perfectly fine for the factory which built carburetor cars for other markets while the US received FI.

Yup, that one, or the Weber 34 ICTs from CB Performance. The big thing about the Solex 32's is that most of them need to be gone thru first, before you can use them in a daily driver. Just so you know, I have 2 type 3s here with FI, 1 with Solex carbs, and 1 with Weber carbs. The FI cars get 27-28 mpg (depending on the driver), while my Notch with Solex carbs gets 26-27 , and the Weber carbed car gets a solid 26-27, so they're all close to one another as far as mpg goes.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

If you scout out the classifieds you may find all of the stock dual carb stuff. What happened for me was I scored 4 carbs and intakes, air cleaner and linkage in the classifieds. Volksbiz rebuilt carbs for me. All of the stuff works great on the squareback. I do get as mentioned 26 ~ 27 mpg.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

Thanks, guys for the info. I am working through the FI, but also always want a plan B. Carbs probably are overall easier to deal with.

I have been following forum advice and it's good info.

All fuel lines looked great and original but I am replacing each. When I remove them they are extremely hard and brittle. I note the replacement date in my build log. I am also getting ready to install an Airtex pump and two fuel filters.

If I have problems with the FI I may move over to carbs. But I am not at that point.

Happy Fourth everyone.
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

Quick question;

Is the FI distributor interchangeable with a carb swap? Assume a factory Solex set up. The distributor has a pertronix kit.

Thanks!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

The FI distributor will work fine with carburetors.
Check your MPS for vacuum with FI as it's the most common problem w/FI.
I have a set of dual Solex's on a '68 engine if you want another engine in the deal? Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Mike.

Would I take a dressed engine if I could get to MD cost effectively? Hell ya.

One original FI and the hot rod carb set up. If you have any transport ideas I am game.

I wanted to throw this out to the forum. My T3 is far more original than I expected when I bought it (online). Far nicer too. So I find myself in this space of preservation versus fun little hot rod (which is what I like to do).

So here's my dilemma. And I know this comes up all the time I have read the posts.

I want easy. I want dependable. I want parts easy. I want more driving than troubleshooting. So while my preference would be just to leave the FI because the car is nice and original, I feel like I am going to spend a lot of time learning it and tweaking it. Plus of course, I have a stupid health issue that could come back at any time. Big C times 2 (yep)

That's why I am thinking carbs. Simplicity. Relatively easy parts availability. Fairly easy understanding and set up.

And since time is always a factor I am thinking I need to make a decision at this point rather than spend time in one area and then heading in another. I have run through the wiring and replaced some fuel hoses, but I am at the point where I need to head down a path and make a commitment.

So do I create a little hot rod and save all the parts, or do I caretake an original nice car?

I feel like carb-ing it is the easy answer. If I had bought this car 5 years ago I'd probably have more patience to learn the FI, but when I read all the posts on the topic, it seems a bit daunting. Plus I hear a lot of having to keep spares of used FI parts. And yes I also hear its a hardy system where usually the trouble spots are things like electrical connections and vacuum hoses. But that does go away with Dinosaur-Carbs.

Ok, done whining.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

Hmmm, quite the situation you've got there. Too nice of a car Laughing

I'll trade you my slightly beat up '71 for you to hot rod all ya like Wink

In all seriousness though, I've also got a 914 with D-jet that has run mostly flawlessly for the last 5ish years. All I did when I got it was new fuel lines and new vacuum lines and it starts easily, and runs well. It just recently started giving me some hesitation off idle and I've not even had time to look at it yet but my first step is going to be an overdue ignition parts tune-up, a compression check, and a couple new gaskets to make sure everything is sealed up. It really is a fairly simple system once you work on it a bit and can get your head around how it operates. Though I will admit it can be a bit of a pain to work on in the car sometimes.

If you have the time/patience I would go through your FI parts and make sure they are all correct for the ECU/year you have, and test all the components on the bench. Maybe invest in a new FI wiring harness, and definitely make sure all new vacuum lines, and run it. (Is a good idea to make sure you've got fairly equal compression all around too or it'll mess with the vacuum signal)

https://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/
He has a lot of info regarding parts and testing on his site, though it's not the easiest to navigate.

New temp sensors are available, as well as new diaphragms for the MPS, and I think circuit boards for the TPS (at least for the 914s) so really the only thing not available "new" is the injectors themselves which seem fairly robust.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

Scorpion1110 wrote:
Thanks for the help Mike.

Would I take a dressed engine if I could get to MD cost effectively? Hell ya.

One original FI and the hot rod carb set up. If you have any transport ideas I am game.

I wanted to throw this out to the forum. My T3 is far more original than I expected when I bought it (online). Far nicer too. So I find myself in this space of preservation versus fun little hot rod (which is what I like to do).

So here's my dilemma. And I know this comes up all the time I have read the posts.

I want easy. I want dependable. I want parts easy. I want more driving than troubleshooting. So while my preference would be just to leave the FI because the car is nice and original, I feel like I am going to spend a lot of time learning it and tweaking it. Plus of course, I have a stupid health issue that could come back at any time. Big C times 2 (yep)

That's why I am thinking carbs. Simplicity. Relatively easy parts availability. Fairly easy understanding and set up.

And since time is always a factor I am thinking I need to make a decision at this point rather than spend time in one area and then heading in another. I have run through the wiring and replaced some fuel hoses, but I am at the point where I need to head down a path and make a commitment.

So do I create a little hot rod and save all the parts, or do I caretake an original nice car?

I feel like carb-ing it is the easy answer. If I had bought this car 5 years ago I'd probably have more patience to learn the FI, but when I read all the posts on the topic, it seems a bit daunting. Plus I hear a lot of having to keep spares of used FI parts. And yes I also hear its a hardy system where usually the trouble spots are things like electrical connections and vacuum hoses. But that does go away with Dinosaur-Carbs.

Ok, done whining.

This is one of those deals that could go either way with the flip of a coin. A new FI wiring harness is a no-brainer", in that 95% of the FI problems can be directly traced to it (ask Ray). The next common problem is the CHT sensor, as when they go bad the engine won't run. Some of us have ballasted them with a 200 ohm resistor just to get the fuel mix closer to correct. I'll let Ray run his spiel on that one. Since you have a 73, most of the FI system has had it's bugs worked out, meaning no diaphragm in the MPS to crack, and uses the 5 pin TVS switch in it's place. The biggest problem related to the FI wiring harness is age and heat. But the ends of the wires are susceptible to coming loose (vibration and "cycles"). You'll need to get the ends out of the plastic, so you can tighten them up. That's why Ray suggests going to "L-Jet" ends (they are a better design). Once you fix these minor problems, you should be good to go with it.

Now, some of us either go with Weber 34 ICTs, or stock (up thru 67) Solex carbs. Going with Solex carbs keeps it all under the load floor, and also looking stock (Europe got carbs thru to the end of production). With them, it's a matter of bolting on a set (preferably redone by Volksbiz), and run them. They should be set up close right out of the box, and can be run with most any distributor. The Weber ICTs from CB Performance are new carbs, and come with a nice set up guide to help install and adjust (if needed) them. They're jetted correctly for your stock engine which is also a plus.

Personally, I've had less problems running carbs over the last 30 years of type 3 ownership than I have in the last 15 years of FI ownership (yes I do have an FI car here, as it belongs to my wife, and she does drive it every now and then).

What it really comes down to though, is what do you want to do? If you feel that you'd drive it more often with carbs, then I'd go that route (make it a hot rod). If you want it to become a museum piece, leave the FI on, and park it in the corner of your garage, and take it out for Sunday drives (to exercise it). If you go the carb route, pull the FI stuff off, and put it in a box to give to the next owner, as they might want to go the FI route (some do, some don't). Keep in mind that whichever way YOU decide, you want to keep the car as close to stock as possible, so it can be returned to stock. By this, I mean no welding on it, except for rust repair work.

Now I'll admit that I'm probably the last guy who should say no welding, as I added stock IRS engine hangers into my 65 Notch (from a 71 Squareback) so I could convert it to IRS (from swing axle). But, at the same time, I did a ton of rust removal and welding on that car to make it a driver, and I've driven it for 16 hours straight coming back from Missouri before.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

Thanks Derek. Thanks Bob.

Bob, you nailed it. It's not a whats better thing (FI versus Carbs), it's what the owner can do that lets them get behind the wheel.

I recently sold a 55 Chevy wagon. I got it when I got sick and was building it for 5 years. Eventually, I felt like it was hanging over my head so I sold it. 5 years of work, but it was a weight.

When I got the VW it was to drive and have fun, tinker, change the wheels, do brakes. When I realized that the FI required some learning, I felt like the old dog who didn't want to learn any new tricks.

I am going to carefully remove the FI. Clean it, pack it, take pics. Maybe it goes back in as a retirement project. In the interim, I will carb it, and do some little hot rod touches. No body work or welding needed.

Thanks for the help, and the on-point reply. Sometimes you just have to hear it for it to make sense.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

Scorpion1110 wrote:
Thanks Derek. Thanks Bob.

Bob, you nailed it. It's not a whats better thing (FI versus Carbs), it's what the owner can do that lets them get behind the wheel.

I recently sold a 55 Chevy wagon. I got it when I got sick and was building it for 5 years. Eventually, I felt like it was hanging over my head so I sold it. 5 years of work, but it was a weight.

When I got the VW it was to drive and have fun, tinker, change the wheels, do brakes. When I realized that the FI required some learning, I felt like the old dog who didn't want to learn any new tricks.

I am going to carefully remove the FI. Clean it, pack it, take pics. Maybe it goes back in as a retirement project. In the interim, I will carb it, and do some little hot rod touches. No body work or welding needed.

Thanks for the help, and the on-point reply. Sometimes you just have to hear it for it to make sense.

I think I did a write up years ago on what needs to come off of the FI to do a clean carb install. You'd probably have to search for it though.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

I have the motor stripped. All of the FI stuff is safely packed away. The harness is out and the only thing I didn't remove was the regulator as it wasn't bothering me and I wonder if I could turn down the fuel pressure enough from the airtex fuel pump to give the carbs about 2psi. I doubt it really so I bought a K&N pump that will fit behind the shield plate with the factory mounts- maybe a little work but it looks good out of the box.

OK, now I am hot-rodding a motor I know little about. True genius.

So does anyone have any factory Solex carbs with air cleaner pics that they could post? Not sure how the air cleaner attaches to the tins where the FI AC was. Also, I have vacuum hoses coming off the breather, Dizzy, and the lower boxes as well as hoses going through the firewall. If anyone has a reference Id take it to help get those sorted.

I have a few additional questions but I will stop being a nag Smile. Well, there is that sender with the black wire coming out of the driver side head that plugged into the FI harness. Temp sensor? Is it necessary and can it be plugged?

Thanks!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

Scorpion1110 wrote:
I have the motor stripped. All of the FI stuff is safely packed away. The harness is out and the only thing I didn't remove was the regulator as it wasn't bothering me and I wonder if I could turn down the fuel pressure enough from the airtex fuel pump to give the carbs about 2psi. I doubt it really so I bought a K&N pump that will fit behind the shield plate with the factory mounts- maybe a little work but it looks good out of the box.

OK, now I am hot-rodding a motor I know little about. True genius.

So does anyone have any factory Solex carbs with air cleaner pics that they could post? Not sure how the air cleaner attaches to the tins where the FI AC was. Also, I have vacuum hoses coming off the breather, Dizzy, and the lower boxes as well as hoses going through the firewall. If anyone has a reference Id take it to help get those sorted.

I have a few additional questions but I will stop being a nag Smile. Well, there is that sender with the black wire coming out of the driver side head that plugged into the FI harness. Temp sensor? Is it necessary and can it be plugged?

Thanks!

I doubt you can get the FI pressure regulator down enough for it to run carbs. A carb working pressure is 2.5 to 3 psi, maybe slightly more. On carbed t-3 engines I run a Mr.Gasket S042 electric fuel pump, which is a low pressure pump that can be found at most of the big auto parts suppliers like the Zone, Advanced, Napa, and O'Reilly's.
The FI distributor can be used, just leave the retard hose off (if you have one), as some got it and some didn't. You might have to bump a little advance timing into it after you get it running again.
Yes, that black wire coming out of the left head is the temp sensor for the FI, and can be removed (13mm socket).

I think KTPhil has a good picture of the vacuum hoses (both large and small) posted to the site. It can also be found in the brown Bentley manual if you have one. What you'll probably find is there is a fitting on each head with some hose coming off it. I can't remember if it went to the charcoal canister or not though, but they can be plugged with those little radiator caps found in the help section of an auto parts store. I only mention them, as they are really "head vents", and are supposed to draw in fresh air to vent the crankcase IF you have a good working PCV valve.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

Hi Bob-

I appreciate the help in navigating this. I think am starting to get it Smile

Sounds like the main hose I need is the breather to the AC and the breather I have is two capped and it looks like I need the smaller one.

Question on the carbs; You are a fan of the ICTs. I know I have read that the Solexes can have the inlet pull out due to age and hose pressure. I want to take great care in plumbing and setting up the engine compartment to minimize fire risk, and I have read posts on this repeatedly.

Should I:

1) just go with the rebuilt Solexes and stock system (They are rebuilt by a reputable source)
2) ship the solexes off to Volksbitz and have threaded tubes inserted (site says he is pretty booked up several weeks out), or
3) go with the CB Performance dual ICT kit

Also, does the stock air cleaner get retained by the rear bracket that holds the balance tube only? And if so then does the tin threaded hold from the FI Air cleaner get plugged?

Ok three questions Smile
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

Scorpion1110 wrote:
Hi Bob-

I appreciate the help in navigating this. I think am starting to get it Smile

Sounds like the main hose I need is the breather to the AC and the breather I have is two capped and it looks like I need the smaller one.

Question on the carbs; You are a fan of the ICTs. I know I have read that the Solexes can have the inlet pull out due to age and hose pressure. I want to take great care in plumbing and setting up the engine compartment to minimize fire risk, and I have read posts on this repeatedly.

Should I:

1) just go with the rebuilt Solexes and stock system (They are rebuilt by a reputable source)
2) ship the solexes off to Volksbitz and have threaded tubes inserted (site says he is pretty booked up several weeks out), or
3) go with the CB Performance dual ICT kit

Also, does the stock air cleaner get retained by the rear bracket that holds the balance tube only? And if so then does the tin threaded hold from the FI Air cleaner get plugged?

Ok three questions Smile

Ideally what you want to find is a single cap breather box. That way you won't have to worry about oil being blown out from behind the big cooling fan. It vents to atmosphere (road draft tube).
As for Solex or Webers, either works for me, as I have both. I went with the Solex carbs on my 65 Notch, as they're period correct. I removed my Webers just to put them on, and had run the Webers for 6 years prior without having to do anything to them (they were a true set 'em and forget 'em set up). So much so that I forgot to check the point gap when the engine started running rough. Laughing A quick reset, and that was fixed. The Solex carbs have been good to me as well. I've had them in the car since 2004, and on the new engine since 2006. I wouldn't think twice about running either set up, but I would run the CB version of the Webers, as they come with everything but a fuel pump to run them. Most of the Weber copies leave out some stuff, and are usually jetted too rich, which is why they're cheaper.

I wouldn't worry about the screw hole from the old FI air cleaner, but if it bothers you a lot, put an m6 screw in it to plug it.
As for the Solex air cleaner, there's a bracket that supports the balance tube that bolts to the case. You'd have to look at the parts book to see how the bracket is, as it's really 2 parts bolted together.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Swap 1973 Type 3 FB Reply with quote

So the carb changeover is in mock-up phase. This did require a reload of Mich Ultra.

Some photos and random questions.

I sourced the missing tins, the bellcrank/swivel, a support for the air cleaner, and the correct oil pressure sending mount. I installed a block-off plate for the fuel pump. Cleaned everything up, glass-beaded what I could, and began mock-up.

Tins installed
manifolds and gaskets installed
carb spacer and gaskets installed
Bellcrank installed
FP block-off installed
Rear AC mount installed
and balance tube installed.

Here's what it looks like at this point:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At this point I decided to give the Air cleaner a try, and here's what happened:

Mounted air cleaner to passenger side carb- no issue

Lined it up and noticed that the rear mount tab on the air cleaner didn't align with the support. Hmmm. Placed the driver side carb extension on and:

Tightened the passenger wing nut to locate air cleaner and see I am off about 1.25 inches:

So no matter how I fiddle with it- it's just off. I suspect that I have the wrong part or the wrong mount location for the support. However I checked the support against some pics online and in the gallery and it looks right, plus its exactly where the balance tube wants it.

The carbs air cleaner and manifolds came from a quality parts vendor and the bracket looks like what I have seen. So here's my usual VW question. What am I missing?

I also suspect I will need to change the throttle cable to a 311-721-555C, 1967 year? Or will the EMPI throttle cable extender work?

Also is there a trick for pulling the oil breather and mount. I removed the 4 engine top bolts and the thing didn't move. I have a single cap to replace. I'd prefer not to take the front shroud off. Bentley was mum on the issue.

I always check before I post but this has me stumped.

thx, Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: