Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

I posted a Trip Report to Escalante-Grand Staircase in March this year including an account of how I managed to crack the engine case.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751966&highlight=

After waiting 3 months for the Devcon Titanium Putty to arrive from Estonia, I was involved in other projects. The new sprinkler system is watering the white clover seed in the front yard as I write.

I had previously pulled off the alternator, power steering pump and intake components. Today I pulled off the exhaust manifolds and the head. Here's where I'm at:

The case:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The crack's about 3" long horizontally and surrounds that corner of the case

What I'm gonna use on my Dremel tool to grind a "V" front and back:

What I'm gonna use to fill the valleys:

So, what do you think about that?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

i've wanted that Devcon stuff to try out too! spendy but higher specs than JB Weld.

any chance you can get someone with a TIG welder to stitch up those cracked first? even if they couldn't make water tight, it would add strength then a finish for water/pressure sealing with Devcon. any roughage at the gasket sealing area could be hand filed down.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

This repair is totally experimental. I'm leaving the engine in the van, using only the Devcon Ti. Here's the specs & a link:

Devcon Titanium Putty

Description

High-performance, non-rusting titanium-reinforced epoxy engineered for making repairs to machinery and equipment that can be precision machined. Withstands heavy loads in hard chemical environments.

Key Features

Excellent temperature resistance (350°F)
High compressive strength (15,200 psi)
Resistance to chemicals and most acids, bases, solvents, and alkalis
Qualifies under Mil Spec MIL-PRF-24176C, Type I
Listed under NSN stock #8030-01-335-0562
Open Time: 21 Minutes
Gap Fill: .0625" - .075"
Color: Grey

https://itwperformancepolymers.com/products/devcon/corrosion-erosion-repair/devcon-titanium-putty

I'm looking at grinding a valley about1/4- 5/16" wide inside and out and drilling 1/8" holes all the way through every 1" or so. I'll fill the holes with putty to connect the valleys on both sides.

The Titanium putty goes for about $125 a pound. I found a distributor selling it for $85. Turns out it was in Estonia and took a slow boat gettin' to me.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

Subscribed ...
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

Since it’s an experiment, super interesting. My one thought is I’d be really worried about the dremel getting out of control. Those bits look sharp and much harder than the case. Light touch!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm sceptical. Cracks are cracks, glue is glue, differential expansion is real.

Best wishes, certainly. I'll be here with my popcorn...

Popcorn

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

While a friend of mine was sawing with his Woodmizer Sawmill, the governor rod broke allowing the Two-cylinder Kohler Engine to rev and brake a rod. The aluminum case was cracked open.

Long story short, while waiting on parts, he cleaned up the mess and patched the hole with JB Weld. That was in the fall of 2000. He was still using the saw and engine 17 years later (with no oil leaks) at his untimely death.

So, if done properly, I believe the OPs fix will be just fine!

After cleaning, grinding, etc., I'd hammer, press, etc., the piece back as close as possible to the original position ...... and, as someone suggested, maybe some tacking here and there with a Tig Welder for added strength.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

You know about drilling a hole at the end of each crack to stop them from continueing?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
I

The case:

I think the sealant will work to seal the cracks. I sometimes use a product called "Bellzona" which is also a high dollar epoxy. The epoxies work if applied to super clean surfaces so that the epoxy adheres to the bare metal and not a cleaning solution used to clean left on the surface of the metal.
Another thing I would recommend is to make small tabs of aluminum that are small to fit into the areas and shaped to fit, but big enough the reach across the crack. They would need to be long enough so that you could drill holes for small #4 size machine screws/bolts.
Machine screws because of the high thread count giving maximum strength in the shortest length.
You use them to straddle the crack and use them to hold the metal together so that
It does not open or widen during normal expansion from heat or vibration stress. This gives the epoxy seal a better chance at holding it all together.

I've been doing this for years on cracks in metal, pvc pipework and anywhere I had to repair a part that had to seal with a liquid inside it. It's always worked for me.

shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

I think the sealant will work to seal the cracks. I sometimes use a product called "Bellzona" which is also a high dollar epoxy. The epoxies work if applied to super clean surfaces so that the epoxy adheres to the bare metal and not a cleaning solution used to clean left on the surface of the metal.

I had intended to use Brakleen as a cleaner for the case. Upon reflection, I've popped for Devcon's Cleaner Blend 300:

https://www.chemical-concepts.com/devconr-cleaner-blend-300-1-pt.html

"Cleaner degreaser agent used to remove oils, grease, dirt and dust from metal surfaces before using any Devcon products. Safe, multi-purpose degreaser for use on heavy grease and oil deposits on metal.

KEY FEATURES
• Needs no rinsing; leaves no residue
• Evaporates fast
• Ideal for dip tanks

Intended uses
- Any metal surfaces, alloys and porous castings
- Used on rubber surfaces, plastics, wood and concrete surfaces
- Removes dirt, oil, tar, and grease

Physical Properties:

Cured in 7 days @ 75°F

Flashpoint 105° F"

I got a better price on Amazon.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

i wonder what 'cured in 7 days' means for a solvent? or is that a line from the Devcon epoxy that got slipped into their product literature?

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

Have you considered using dowels like roll pins or screws to provide mechanical reinforcement? Also, if the repair is successful, how will you support the alternator? In order to increase the odds of success you should be thinking like a dentist doing reconstructive work.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

[quote="hardway"]Have you considered using dowels like roll pins or screws to provide mechanical reinforcement? Also, if the repair is successful, how will you support the alternator? In order to increase the odds of success you should be thinking like a dentist doing reconstructive work.[/quote|

I did think about aluminum pins or somethin'. Screws have been suggested. Still thinkin' about it.

As soon as we got back from Utah with the Van, I bought the Alternator Bracket Kit from GoWesty. It's still in the box. There's a few ideas floatin' around out here on solving the Bracket Problem.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

All I can say is that I hope your DevCon Titanium Putty performs WAY BETTER than the project I used DevCon 5minute Epoxy on today! Followed directions, components used are listed as compatible........

Massive fail!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i wonder what 'cured in 7 days' means for a solvent? or is that a line from the Devcon epoxy that got slipped into their product literature?

That does peak the curiousity! Read the ingredients carefully and get the MSDS for it.I was a big user of the Brakecleaners until I got some of the original report written by the EPA on it that was 700 pages long. The politics game cut the report to 300 pages leaving out all the bad parts like one whiff of it can damage a fetus if your pregnant, etc., etc. Your not pregnant are ya?

pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

5 minute epoxy is much weaker than
the 24 hr cure premium stuff.

I never use 5 minute, unless it's
on an unstressed part and I'm out
of JB Weld.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

Oh, I understand the appeal of adhesives.

My problem is that they rarely work.
They promise the moon! And then fall flat on their faces.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to Get This Experiment Started.
OP, please post pics of your progress!

Popcorn Popcorn ('Popcorn')
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

I just don't see how any type of glue is going to hold that bulging out tab properly in place without mechanical assistance.

Way to much stress is in that area.

You need a skilled welder or more likely, you have yet another VW boat anchor.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Crack in the Case meet Devcon Titanium Putty Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
You know about drilling a hole at the end of each crack to stop them from continueing?

That will be critical here, and the hard part will be finding the end of the crack inside
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: