Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Burman, Thank you for the detailed info. It looks like my car has the original headliner. unfortunately it's only 3/4 there. It's missing the first row from the windshield to the first bow.
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Next up, what are these aluminum pieces?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Those parts donīt belong to a 58 Ghia Iīm afraid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

That's why I could not figure out where they went. ha!
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

They are from a westy camper, if looking to re-home them I could use them, you can pm me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Should the rear view mirror have long or short spindles for a 58'? I know there is a thread about it but I can't find it.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

rich caramadre wrote:
Should the rear view mirror have long or short spindles for a 58'? I know there is a thread about it but I can't find it.

Short...the spindles don't go the full length of the rigid plastic visors:

They don't have to be long as the visors have a support pivot at the external ends.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
rich caramadre wrote:

Short...the spindles don't go the full length of the rigid plastic visors:

They don't have to be long as the visors have a support pivot at the external ends.

Each new photo brings up new questions:
Is the orientation of that light correct? It seems on the wiring diagram that the switch is on the drivers side. As that is where the switch wires come from, that would seem to make the most sense. Otherwise those wires would cross under the light.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!

Last edited by Trylon on Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

thank you john. I know the plastic visors are near impossible to find. So if I found to correct mirror it may sit naked. Would different visors fit? maybe even oval era beetle dark plastic ones?

About the dome light. Is it 58' Ghia specific?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

rich caramadre wrote:
thank you john. I know the plastic visors are near impossible to find. So if I found to correct mirror it may sit naked. Would different visors fit? maybe even oval era beetle dark plastic ones?

About the dome light. Is it 58' Ghia specific?

Dwayne repopped them a few years ago...I think they sold out but PM him, you never know: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=268978
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Next up, Nose badge. For a 58' Which is correct? Plain aluminum or blue enamel? If Aluminum, are they specific to 58'? If so what is different than later years.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

rich caramadre wrote:
Next up, Nose badge. For a 58' Which is correct? Plain aluminum or blue enamel? If Aluminum, are they specific to 58'? If so what is different than later years.

August 1957 onwards...plain aluminium.

Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

The nose badge is chrome plated steel with a satin finish around the VW logo. The aluminum two piece badge was used on the 60 model year Ghia throughout production. As far as I know VW never made an aluminum version of this badge, though there might be a reproduction available in aluminum???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

I'm gathering pieces for my front turn signals. Do the 58' and earlier style use the same rubber gasket ( body to housing) as the oval beetle bullets?
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Yes, they use the same gaskets as bug and bus bullet lights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

I separated the body from the chassis. Time to work on the floor pans. I'm not sure if I can save them. I'm guessing if do replace them I'm not going to find any with the correct stamping. It seams the pans available have the curved stamping under the front foot area and do not have the correct ledge in the rear.(photo attached)
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2161642 These are not perfect as there are some differences to the lowlight pressings but they are a much better option than the black ones.

Useful thread here with some reviews... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=706778&highlight=pan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

I've been working on the chassis. Had to replace the rear sections. Then blasted, metal prepped, master series silver primer, then top coated with master series AG111. I tracked down the correct pitman arm and swaybar and a 59' front beam. Now I need to locate a working steering box. Small steps but it's progress.

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

Just checked out your work. Nice Ghia and nice work! Pan turned out sweet! I hear you about piecing together your Ghia. I have to do the same with my 60 and i have never owned a Ghia before. A slew of seals and parts to figure out.

Continued luck with it going forward
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 58' Ghia. Piece by piece questions Reply with quote

That was a good compromise with the cut-down patch panels, so that in the rear you could keep the original inner corners with their "finger" reinforcing indents.

The '70 Ghia pan I have on my '64 Cabrio has developed rot breaks in the pans under the front seats in the nearly 40 years I've owned the car. If I ever get around to fixing them, I'll probably use your cutting/fitting technique.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: