Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

In response to the Tki Bar Location.. AZ

http://funsetstrip.blogspot.com/2011/10/kon-tiki-hotel.html
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Nigel -

Tiki Bar not Polynesian Cultural Center. You are over analyzing the meaning of TIKI. Think more 50'-60's fad here in the US.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow, Jason! I didn't even notice the VW bay apparently used as hospitality vehicle! Good picture!
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Kon-Tiki Hotel Phoenix, AZ 1963

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

It appears the location has been demo'd in favor of a State Prison.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Kon-Tiki Hotel Phoenix, AZ 1963

That roof on the split-screen VW Type 2 doesn't look very safely attached, so in New Zealand the driver would probably be stopped by traffic police and given a fine and demerit points on his driving licence. If the load could not be secured to the police officer's satisfaction, it would have to be removed then and there, and the cost of removing it from the highway would be down to the driver of the offending vehicle.

If the supplementary roof were regarded as a vehicle modification, it would need to be certified by a bonafide assessor and the vehicle plated accordingly.

Some offences are subject to an immediate 28-day licence suspension, so the driver would have to make other arrangements to continue his/her journey.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

That roof on the split-screen VW Type 2 doesn't look very safely attached, so in New Zealand the driver would probably be stopped by traffic police and given a fine and demerit points on his driving licence. If the load could not be secured to the police officer's satisfaction, it would have to be removed then and there, and the cost of removing it from the highway would be down to the driver of the offending vehicle.

If the supplementary roof were regarded as a vehicle modification, it would need to be certified by a bonafide assessor and the vehicle plated accordingly.

Some offences are subject to an immediate 28-day licence suspension, so the driver would have to make other arrangements to continue his/her journey.

Back in the day we were allowed all kinds of leeway. Its still not uncommon for people to drive absolutely unsafe shit piles down the road. Without having a vehicle inspection in most states - sometimes its a free for all.

The famous Kon Tiki bus was safe. That palm frond roof was attached for sure.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

Back in the day we were allowed all kinds of leeway. Its still not uncommon for people to drive absolutely unsafe shit piles down the road. Without having a vehicle inspection in most states - sometimes its a free for all.

The famous Kon Tiki bus was safe. That palm frond roof was attached for sure.

Even in relatively lenient Great Britain, those vehicles would probably have to be presented for an IVA - Individual Vehicle Approval, which I think might cost upward of £500 and is very stringent about projections that might injure people inside or outside the vehicle in the event of a collision.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/individual-vehicle-approval

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-inspection-fees

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

When did Scat enterprises mean “Sh!t” for parts?

Clearing head casting flash continued.

I was able to inset the thermostat rod after significant work.

Re mantled under head mini-tin.

Will have to rectify minorpushrod tube dents from clearencing.

Incremental change is still progress:

- Bay Bus Pinion Nut Socket

- 64-67 big nut (rear) drums and brake parts, 46mm axle nuts (Big Nuts)

--
'55 Wolfburg Pannel Project
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Under Head tin 1/2 keeps poping out.

I wired it in.

Coolin Flaps test fit

Again, incremental progress is still progress

Kevin

--
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

One of these thermostat mounts is not like the other.

I started with the once closes to the open ended wrench. It facilitated misalignment of the Thermostat assembly when everything was mantled up.

Is it a Type 3 Housing? Or is it poorly made. Note the angle at the case mounting hole.

Mantling the other bracket resolved geometry related issues.

Next, I added Substantial expanding foam to the Cooling tower, and around the hoover bit.

Image of Shroud Mantled.

To do so, I installed the flaps on 1/2. I Mated 3/4 flaps in the shroud. Antiseize the threads and any mating surfaces.

Checked cooling tower flange bolt tightness.

Squished down the expanding foam and introduced the shroud to the tower. The shroud required some motivation to mate with other elements. I used my rubber mallet to gently tap various tin and flaps together.

After some time, the shroud flaps and cylinder tin were mated and aligned.

I adjusted the thermostat so that it opens freely and is not interfered upon by under-head tin, stat-mount, or other encumbrances.

Tested the thermostat with a heat gun. I got too greedy with the heat. Pop and spritz.

Bring out the accordion!

Lucky I had a spare.

Live and learn.

Tomorrow I'll install sleds, pre-heat tube (if I can find it) and other bottom end parts...

Kevin

--
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Based upon past experience with the AD-Series, twin-port, VW 1600 Type 1 style air-cooled engine of my British specification, 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Kombi, I would be very disinclined to use either slot-head or Phillip's-head M6 screws for fastening the cover-plates and fan housing, owing to problems with corrosion and burred-screw-driver slots.

It took several days, a lot of patience, a drill and other tools, to remove all of the cover-plates in 1983, so that I could remove and dis-assemble the engine, in order to cure the oil leaks!

I now favour either hex-head or socket-head stainless-steel screws, whose threads have been lubricated with copper grease.

Nigel A. Skeet

klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

To each his own.

I've exclusively run Type 1 dual-port engines in past builds. In high humidity environments such as the Great Lakes region of Canada, I too have had to deal with significant fastener corrosion.

Here, in western Canada, we're between 600m and a mile above sea level, and 1000+ kms from any ocean. In this rarified environment, humidity levels are such that fastener corrosion on summer-driven vehicles is insignificant.

I thread-chase and anti-seize fasteners and their receivers prior to mantling. To avoid having to deal with burred slots, new slot-head screws are used.

This is an adequate fastener corrosion treatment.

The appropriate hex screws are used at the fan-shroud side-mantling to cylinder head tin locations, and in the front of the fan shroud for fresh air scoop, etc.

--
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

klcarrie wrote:
To each his own.

I've exclusively run Type 1 dual-port engines in past builds. In high humidity environments such as the Great Lakes region of Canada, I too have had to deal with significant fastener corrosion.

Here, in western Canada, we're between 600m and a mile above sea level, and 1000+ kms from any ocean. In this rarified environment, humidity levels are such that fastener corrosion on summer-driven vehicles is insignificant.

I thread-chase and anti-seize fasteners and their receivers prior to mantling. To avoid having to deal with burred slots, new slot-head screws are used.

This is an adequate fastener corrosion treatment.

The appropriate hex screws are used at the fan-shroud side-mantling to cylinder head tin locations, and in the front of the fan shroud for fresh air scoop, etc.

I am familiar with the verb "dismantling", being a synonym for disassembling, but have never encountered "mantling" used as a verb or any other part of speech!?!

My original screw did not have burred slots until I tried to remove them. I would imagine that your 1971 VW Type 2 will at some time venture out of the rarified low-humidity environment, on long-distance tours, where it might encounter less favourable conditions that encourage corrosion, but as you say, "to each their own". Confused

Nigel A. Skeet

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

I am familiar with the verb "dismantling", being a synonym for disassembling, but have never encountered "mantling" used as a verb or any other part of speech!?!Confused

Right? I noticed that on too. Laughing

Was it a spell check error for "mounting? Think Ive never seen that. Is it a thing?

I thought it funny. Laughing

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Clearly neither of you has read Muir, "remantling" is often used to describe the opposite of dismantling. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Hi all,

Far be it for me to tell you how to use the English language.

That said, in support of my use of it, here's what I found when conducting a tertiary search on the word "mantle" via https://www.google.com/search?q=etimological+root+...p;ie=UTF-8

The Roman etymological root means "cloak".

The French word mantle leads to "manteau" or "coat".

eg: https://www.linternaute.fr/dictionnaire/fr/definition/mantel/

In either case, to coat, cover, cloak, these are words which relay the spirit of my intended use of the word "mantle"; to put together or assemble.

I understand, so as to forward technical ideation across groups, cliques, cults and organizations, the gate-keepers prefer the adherence to convention(s).

I can appreciate that.

However, in this thread, I choose to expand on the convention; or better said, I choose to exercise and grow the breadth of my linguistic capacity, to reanimate elements of language that could benefit from parlance, or another lap around the block, per se.

And yes, Muir rings as a great influence re my early tutelage on the subject of Archemedian nut leveraging... and likely lies at the heart of my usage of the term. Thanks BD for that insight and neurological spark to some great early memories with my now late mentor Ernie Able in Wiarton.

Today's wrenching:

I reoriented the fan front cover plate so the snout faced downward

I used permatex blue (loctite) on 6mm studs and nut. Re-inserted the spring washer…

…and torqued to 60 inch-pounds

I inserted the fan into the housing

Oriented the fan onto the hub/reciever

Assembled the stack of spacers, shims, and spring and load bearing washers

And finally, threaded on the "Special" nut

as per

What is the torque value for this nut?

I considered Nigel's comment re the use of hex head hardware on specific sites on the shroud. I saw it good to replace the fastener that mantles the shroud at the Hoover Bit location...

...with a wire wheeled and lubricated 10mm hex head bolt flat and spring washer.

Also, mocked up the assembly of the generator/fan to the shroud using similarly clean hex hardware.

Now, this assembly is great, if I wish to continue with the mantling of dual carbs... but not if I wish to continue in a stock application...

I forgot to include something Rolling Eyes ... what is it? It wont be too much work, but it will be some back-stepping.

That's why the cleaned and thread-chased generator strap...

...is left unfastened for now.

Enjoy your evening.

--
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy

Last edited by klcarrie on Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

40-47 foot lbs for the fan nut. You also want a 2mm gap between the backing plate and the back of the fan. Hex head bolts are very useful on the lower two fan backing plate fasteners where it bolts to the shroud, once the manifold is in the way it's the only way you can change a generator without removing the engine.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Nigel

The butchery of the English language over here is relentless; lack of semi-colons , Oxford commas, misuse of colourful adjectives - it’s enough to make you want to prise the aluminium from the boot. Mind the tyres!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Nigel

The butchery of the English language over here is relentless; lack of semi-colons , Oxford commas, misuse of colourful adjectives - it’s enough to make you want to prise the aluminium from the boot. Mind the tyres!

Wink Yep. Derp, derp. Razz

And klcarrie, we all just funnin. As Xevin says - having a goof. Proceed sir. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TikiBarn: 1971 Westfalia Reply with quote

Thanks,

Sensu Wilde:

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Have a good night.

K

--
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: