Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

There was a guy selling a CHT gauge on the classified the add was up for months if not years but seems to have recently been deleted. Heres that ad: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2449957
Heres the website that is still up, I think it was linked to in his ad:
https://discountegauges.com/deg-cylinder-head-temperature-kit-part-310-901-12-12ft/ (if you buy from the website it costs $38 bucks extra for the thermocouple, but the samba kit was a flat $169 without tax or shipping, everything included)

It was $169 with the thermocouple included. From all the pictures and info it seems like it's one of those Micro 1000 CHT gauges that aircraft spruce sells, except it turns out to be about 40 or so bucks cheaper for this kit... so I bought it a month or so ago. He shipped it very promptly.

I think it might literally be made by the same factory in the US that makes the Micro1000 ones but just with a different face and brand. Like someone hired them to make a relabeled one specifically for the air-cooled VW community (rather than avaiaton.)

Anyways, it has no reviews or feedback anywhere. I can find no mention of it here on the samba except for a thread from 2017 where that samba seller above "surfman" simply says he found a company online selling them? Kinda odd... seems like maybe he was trying to advertise in a round-a-bout way... idk. His ad which you can't see anymore claimed he's sold thousands... kinda hard to believe but whatever, maybe he was just trying to make it seem more popular than it is... as weird as all that is I think it still might be a good product, just odd salesman antics or something.

I find it hard to believe no one else here bought one of these.

What's the deal, who did, and what do you think?

I haven't installed it yet but will soon, am just curious if anyone else is currently running it. It's supposedly temp compensated but idk how I'd verify that. It does show a temp reading on the gauge of about ambient temps while it's just sitting in the box, not connected to anything.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
There was a guy selling a CHT gauge on the classified the add was up for months if not years but seems to have recently been deleted. Heres that ad: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2449957
Heres the website that is still up, I think it was linked to in his ad:
https://discountegauges.com/deg-cylinder-head-temperature-kit-part-310-901-12-12ft/ (if you buy from the website it costs $38 bucks extra for the thermocouple, but the samba kit was a flat $169 without tax or shipping, everything included)

It was $169 with the thermocouple included. From all the pictures and info it seems like it's one of those Micro 1000 CHT gauges that aircraft spruce sells, except it turns out to be about 40 or so bucks cheaper for this kit... so I bought it a month or so ago. He shipped it very promptly.

I think it might literally be made by the same factory in the US that makes the Micro1000 ones but just with a different face and brand. Like someone hired them to make a relabeled one specifically for the air-cooled VW community (rather than avaiaton.)

Anyways, it has no reviews or feedback anywhere. I can find no mention of it here on the samba except for a thread from 2017 where that samba seller above "surfman" simply says he found a company online selling them? Kinda odd... seems like maybe he was trying to advertise in a round-a-bout way... idk. His ad which you can't see anymore claimed he's sold thousands... kinda hard to believe but whatever, maybe he was just trying to make it seem more popular than it is... as weird as all that is I think it still might be a good product, just odd salesman antics or something.

I find it hard to believe no one else here bought one of these.

What's the deal, who did, and what do you think?

I haven't installed it yet but will soon, am just curious if anyone else is currently running it. It's supposedly temp compensated but idk how I'd verify that. It does show a temp reading on the gauge of about ambient temps while it's just sitting in the box, not connected to anything.

man....I dont know. When you posted this link I pulled up a range of Google pics...and must have scanned a thousand pics.....and nothing is exactly like this one even the Micro 1000.

I say that...because of this unique pair of curves down here near the bottom of the gauge bezel. Not saying its special...just different than anything I can easily find.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes.....could be same manufacturer but if so they popped for their own bezel mold.

I could not find anywhere on their ad at that link where it noted it was compensated.

Interesting....
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

That's interesting. He definitely made a big point to explain it was temperature compensated in his Samba ad. I remeber he compared it to the defunct VDO saying his was more accurate due to the TC feature. It was part of the reason I choose this one.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

A while back in another CHT thread.....I posted link to a site that published plans nd parta lists on how to solder/build a thermocouple CHT, cild joint compensation circuit.

They also make and sell kits for $100-ish. Of course you can source the parts list through digi-key for $50-ish.....its a postage stamp sized circuit. For the life of me I cant find that link or document. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

Is there any way I can test this unit for temp compensation? Would I be able to detect it just by driving around for a while on cold vs hot days.

I have really no reason to suspect it is not temp compensated as the samba ad stated so, it looks like a quality piece and it also looks very similar, almost identical to the Micro1000 unit even on the back side with the same style mounting design and white plastic housing. The face is similar and geometrically the layout of the numbers (sweep) is identical. Also if you look again and compare the bezel to the micro1000 I think you will see it is exactly the same where you have that smaller red circle.

I'll post some more pics of the unit in hand when I get a chance. I already have it. It's been sitting in the box for about a month.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Is there any way I can test this unit for temp compensation? Would I be able to detect it just by driving around for a while on cold vs hot days.

I have really no reason to suspect it is not temp compensated as the samba ad stated so, it looks like a quality piece and it also looks very similar, almost identical to the Micro1000 unit even on the back side with the same style mounting design and white plastic housing. The face is similar and geometrically the layout of the numbers (sweep) is identical. Also if you look again and compare the bezel to the micro1000 I think you will see it is exactly the same where you have that smaller red circle.

I'll post some more pics of the unit in hand when I get a chance. I already have it. It's been sitting in the box for about a month.

For some reason I kept thinking that Micro also made a fully round instrument. I think I was getting hung up on a Swift or Falcon.

But.....yes...it could very well be made by the same company....but from the front...they are only "similar"

The left is the DeG. The right is the Micro 1000. Some similarities in the corners of the bezel and the range layout....but dang......the printing on the Micro 1000 sucks compared to the DeG. Its good enough....but not great as instrument printing goes.

The Samba classified link of course simply says it was sold and nothing about it. Sure...its easy to test for compensation.

Take the gauge and put in in the freezer or even the fridge. Put the wire and sensor end in boiling or very hot water. Take your volt meter with a K type TC and dip it in the hot water and read the temp.

Then open the fridge or freezer....and if the gauge is compensated it will read to within 2% (that is the micro 1000 warranty) of what the TC that is hooked to your volt meter will read.

Ray
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

http://thesensorconnection.com/cht-sensors/all-cht...sor-kit-fs

This is a good kit, H.D. thermocouple
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

http://thesensorconnection.com/cht-sensors/all-cht...sor-kit-fs

This is a good kit, H.D. thermocouple
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

Interesting that the seller that listed that particular ad only has one (1) post, and it simply links to the discountegauges website you linked Confused

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8559522&highlight=#8559522

Not a bad price. Might be worth a shot? I have a triple gauge pod and currently have oil temp/pressure, with a VDO clock as a placeholder in the third spot. Car is still down and engine still needs to come out for a new oil cooler seal, it would be a good time to add the wiring and pull a sparkplug Think

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

Yep I thought that was odd too. I already bought it about a month or so ago. I'm not sure why he took his Samba ad down.

I have found some pictures online on a 914 forum of the Micro1000 round face gauge and thermocouple and I can say for sure after seeing them this is just a Micro1000 with a different style/font face. There are identical in all respects. When I find them time I'll post pictures to show what I mean.

I will let everyone know how it works when I get it hooked up.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Yep I thought that was odd too. I already bought it about a month or so ago. I'm not sure why he took his Samba ad down.

I have found some pictures online on a 914 forum of the Micro1000 round face gauge and thermocouple and I can say for sure after seeing them this is just a Micro1000 with a different style/font face. There are identical in all respects. When I find them time I'll post pictures to show what I mean.

I will let everyone know how it works when I get it hooked up.

Cool...I thought I was going crazy that I could only find a picture of the square faced one. I KNEW they made round ones at one time.

Ray
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

Any follow-up to this yet? Might grab one with the most recent stimulus Very Happy

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

Here's one I just did for a bus, clock was out of it! Got the alarm option,(buzzer)
Sensor Connection brand.

Thermo couple

fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

I have a round analog movement gauge which I briefly used, but was at one time meaning to get a sensor connection gauge like the one RWK mentioned. I got busy and forgot, but just placed my order for one. That 14mm k-coupler should work fine on my big bore 40horse, and it looks stronger than the flimsy connector that came with my current gauge.
With my order to Sensor Connection I purchased the unit itself which comes with a default 6 foot k coupler, but I ordered a male-female adapter and 10 foot extension cable just in case. I plan to mount it just under the ashtray area in my '59 bug using a flex bracket, bolts nuts and washers. Thanks RWK for reminding me!

Ted
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Any follow-up to this yet? Might grab one with the most recent stimulus Very Happy

No not yet. There was a piece of loose dust of some sort of fleck of casting flash from the housing or something. Basically it got stuck to glass from the inside and I knew it would annoy me forever so I sent it back for a warranty replacement as I didn't want to diassemble myself and void the warranty before even installing it. The seller was very helpful along the way and made it very easy, sent me a return label, etc. It was a minor cosmetic issue I just got unlucky with.

I'm mailing it back today and should get the new one in the mail very soon. I'm also ready and eager to install it so I can say for sure I will have a running and installed update within the next couple weeks.

I have confirmed it is simply a Micro1000 CHT with a different face design/font. I still need to upload the comparison pics... but they are exactly the same so just keep that in mind.

RWK wrote:
Here's one I just did for a bus, clock was out of it! Got the alarm option,(buzzer)
Sensor Connection brand.

I'm going for a certain look so any digital gauge is completely out the question for me but thanks anyway.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

following this to see what you think of the DEG. Bought a VDO last week without really thinking about the lack of temperature compensation.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

It works well as far as I can tell accuracy wise. Overall I'm very happy with it, only gripe is the lighting is not that good and doesn't match my other gauges. It's almost funny how bad the lighting is... I think I can fix that tho.

More updates and pics soon to come...
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/CHT_gauges.php?clickkey=224768

Yes, Micro1000 makes a cht gauge with a round bezel. I have one in my buggy now. They are available from Aircraft Spruce. In the link above it doesn’t show a pic of the round one but it’s part #10-01425
Online their description isn’t too good. In their regular catalog it has a better description.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

saw2 wrote:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/CHT_gauges.php?clickkey=224768

Yes, Micro1000 makes a cht gauge with a round bezel. I have one in my buggy now. They are available from Aircraft Spruce. In the link above it doesn’t show a pic of the round one but it’s part #10-01425
Online their description isn’t too good. In their regular catalog it has a better description.

Where did you get the thermocouple for your gauge?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: "DeG" brand cylinder head temperature gauge? Reply with quote

They are listed in the related products on the listing.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: