Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door speakers turned to noise...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

The cone on one of my 3" speakers is warped, crack, or otherwise messed up. Rather than wade through Crutchfield, or ask the kid at Auto Parts Iz Us, What's decent and wallet friendly? The odds of getting high end (i.e., tweeter)sound is laughable. Adding tweeters on the dash is, unfortunately, a non-starter. :(

And then there's the problem of almost zero clearance between the door and end of the instrument panel (AKA dashboard).

We have AC (yea!), with 5 1/2" speakers in the box. That fixes the worst of getting bottom end out of the radio/MP3/XM thingies.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

not sure if I'm answering your question - but the speakers on my front doors and rear overhead were all blown.

I put these in the front door - JBL GTO429 Premium 4-Inch Co-Axial Speaker - I think they were $100/pair. They fit fine. My window crank has the spacer on it, but I don't think it is actually needed.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

I've had good luck with a few pairs of the Rockford-Fosgate R14X2 4” 2-way full-range speakers. They're affordable, sound decent, and fit nicely, even with the optional protective foam baffles:

https://campwestfalia.com/product-review-pioneer-mvh-x580bs-digital-media-receiver/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

This was my solution to front door speakers. I used a thin piece of wood to mount some tweeters where the stock speakers went with crossovers behind the glove box and some 5 1/2" speakers lower down on the door.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When you pull the door cards you will find a space in the sheet metal big enough for speakers with decent sized magnets. You can also use a spacer made from wood to back up speakers with even larger driver's. This is what I did (not a very good photo but you can kinda see the spacer at the bottom of the picture).

Or like this; my old MV with two sets of speakers.

Separate tweeters with crossovers sound much better though.
Definitely use the foam speaker covers to protect the back of the speaker against water dripping down from windows.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

Bit the bullet, and went to Crutchfield, anyway. The rep owned an '82 Vanagon, and knew all about fitment issues. Expecting 4" Focals, next week.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

I've got those 2 way 4" speakers in mine, as mentioned above.

i've thought about upgrading - as the sound is ok - but not great. I've been working on reducing road noise, but also would like nicer speakers.

I am open to installing some 6 or 6.5" speakers at the bottom of the door, and then something at the top. Aside from putting little tweeters up top - would it make sense at all to keep the 4" speakers at the top - then adding a 6" speaker at the bottom?

I'm trying to get better volume, and more clarity - for I like to listen to podcasts a lot and audiobooks... I imagine I need some sort of crossover for this- but I'm not sure where to start.

RBEmerson do you the name/contact info for the rep at crutchfield? Always helpful to have a decent rep that knows what I'm working with.

thanks,

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

Ask for Taylor - the guy who had an '82 Vanagon. Tell him the guy with the '90 Westy sent you. :)

HTH
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:

I am open to installing some 6 or 6.5" speakers at the bottom of the door, and then something at the top. Aside from putting little tweeters up top - would it make sense at all to keep the 4" speakers at the top - then adding a 6" speaker at the bottom?

Having 4" in stock location and larger speaker at bottom of door is what I had in my MV (see pic above) works ok, but a pair of matched dedicated speakers (tweeters and mid-range/bass) with crossovers sounds better.

The crossovers separate the signal to the correct speaker giving a clearer sound with more punch. Tweeters up high and bass down low. You can build your own setup but it's easier to just buy a matched set of speakers and crossovers.
You can also get a three way split with tweeters, mid, and powered sub-woofers for even more separation and punch, however for audio books and voice programs just a two way split is enough.

A set with 5 1/4" speakers will fit the opening at the bottom of the door if you go with lower wattage. More powerful bass speakers have a larger driver (magnet) that may not fit without a spacer. The better component speaker sets will have external crossovers that are adjustable so you can tune the setup to the car and your ear.
Be real careful to measure the opening before you cut the hole!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

I seem to recall a rule from way back nearly forty years ago when I briefly worked at a stereo install shop that the tweeters should be installed no more than six inches from the mid-ranges. Is or was that a valid rule?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

In a Vanagon at 50-60 MPH, does it really matter? :)
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

Dave Bird from Vogel Werks Design in Eugene, OR upgraded our 4 speakers with these Kickers. I also have an Alpine Sub woofer I have yet to install.

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Door speakers turned to noise... Reply with quote

To make my speakers flush, I cut an mdf panel to fit the depression in the door sheet metal and screwed it in, then mounted the speaker behind that. It's a much more solid mounting this way, also made simple fabric grill that isn't eye catching so not attractive to thievery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: