Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Technical tab at the top-right of the page, next to the search bar, select wiring from the drop-down menu. Once on the wiring page, select 'Type 1' from the options in the top-middle of the page and scroll down to the 74+ entries in the listing.
I think these should be the right ones, provided your wiring is mostly stock:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

TechionDigit wrote:
After a bit of looking around my dash & trunk I found out if I give my fusebox and steering column (the plastic bit that houses the turn signal & wiper assembly) a 'slight' bit of motivation (aka beating it with my palm, it'll turn back on before it'll go out again.

When the low beam goes off, if I just go to high beam then back to low beam it comes back on.. before going out again.

Long story short, there's a loose connection somewhere and I was wondering if someone has a link to the wiring & locations or pictures of what pins & plugs I need to start poking at!

I would clean up ALL the terminals and fuse ends at the fuse box. Disconnect the battery negative terminal first, do one at a time.

A small wire brush (Dremel) in a Dremel or drill worked good for me.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

bergfan wrote:
Aren't they horizontal normally?

LOL...Well I was asking the stupid question it appears.

I don't have a stock car. It did not occur to me when I looked at the stabilizer that (not only is my suspension topped out) my steering gear is relocated sideways and rotated 9 deg down.

That rotation lowers the inner tie rod ends and the stabilizer bushing.

When I look at a stock car with people in it, the stabilizer lies flat.
GutshotGriz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Dropped the engine in my 72 bug and found this plug hanging on the right side of the firewall. Nothing was connected to it. Can anyone tell me what it might be for?

finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Reverse light connection I believe.
Jessa Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello guys, I bought a 1977 volkswagen superbeetle. I am hearing some squeaking/grinding noises in my brakes and it bothers me a lot. Does it sound good to replace the brake pads only? or I should also replace the rotors?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I've never worked on a VW that new.

Jessa Dee wrote:
Hello guys, I bought a 1977 volkswagen superbeetle. I am hearing some squeaking/grinding noises in my brakes and it bothers me a lot. Does it sound good to replace the brake pads only? or I should also replace the rotors?

On my trucks with front disc brakes or on my VWs with all-drum brakes, I say one cannot make decision on whether to replace or even regrind rotors or drums until I get things apart and inspect. Many disc pads have squealer tabs to indicate to the driver that it's time to check the pad thickness before causing more expensive damage.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TechionDigit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Looking in the Official Volkswagen Service Manual for 70-79 Beetles, S Beetles & Ghias the brakes never altered over the years so your knowledge is valid.

But yes, it's better to disassemble and inspect your brakes before you start shaving it out and just slapping new parts onto it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jessa Dee wrote:

TechionDigit wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Looking in the Official Volkswagen Service Manual for 70-79 Beetles, S Beetles & Ghias the brakes never altered over the years so your knowledge is valid.

But yes, it's better to disassemble and inspect your brakes before you start shaving it out and just slapping new parts onto it.

OK, 1977 Super Beetle has drum brakes in both front and rear. Someone is going to have to remove the drums to take a look; if the drums need "turning", likely will need to find a VW machine shop or so, most auto parts stores cannot turn/re-grind drums that size.

"Special" tools needed for front will be a 6mm allen socket; for the rear drums, a 36mm socket and big breaker bar (or Torque Tool) is needed for the big axle nut (230 ft lbs). Plus 2 new big cotter pins to retain those will be needed; and if replacing rear brake shoes, then retainers will be needed to swap over the parking brake actuating levers.

You may find broken spring(s), may need a new hardware kit. Only removal of drums will tell what is needed to fix properly and safely.

So USA Beetles only have drums and brake shoes; only later Karmann Ghias in USA had rotors and brake pads in the front.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

In the classified section Parts - Type 1/Bug - 1968-up,
I see listings for "early" and "late" parts.
What year model is which?

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:

I'm not certain myself, but I believe that's to differentiate between super-Beetles (71/72-on?) and standard Beetles (68-70?).
I'm sure somebody else can define it more precisely.
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

For The Samba, early is up through 1967 and late model is 1968 and newer.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:

Since you are in the later model Bug parts section, that reference is most likely about Super Beetle specific parts. The earlier SB's used the same windshield and dash as the regular Bug and had a somewhat different front suspension. Later SB's had the curved windshield large dash, and a number of changes up front. I'm not very knowledgeable on the later Bugs but believe early refers to '71-'72 Super Beetles and late refers to the '73-'79 models.
bergfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
BCE56 wrote:

Since you are in the later model Bug parts section, that reference is most likely about Super Beetle specific parts. The earlier SB's used the same windshield and dash as the regular Bug and had a somewhat different front suspension. Later SB's had the curved windshield large dash, and a number of changes up front. I'm not very knowledgeable on the later Bugs but believe early refers to '71-'72 Super Beetles and late refers to the '73-'79 models.

Here in NZ the early SB was a 1302s and latter was a 1303s with a curved windscreen, all ours had disc brakes on the front
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Any decebt spark plugs for a 1600dp that i can get from Amazon (in the us)? Got a bunch of Amazon money i want to use tbh.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
For The Samba, early is up through 1967 and late model is 1968 and newer.

Thanks.
Looks like '67 and '68 were transitional models with certain year-specific parts. (There appears to be some overlap into 1969 as well.)

My Bug is a '69 with a 1973 (AK) 1600 DP motor. '67 front fenders and front & rear bumpers, 1970 engine cover, installed by P.O. You might call it a Frankenbug.
There is no provision for a fuel door cable. Odd.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

STUPID Question: Cap and Rotor.

I've got an O9 dist.
The rotor inside seems "loose" and is See the alignment tab is a little chewed up.
Maybe the mechanic (Or me) was too forceful trying to get it in place...

Regardless, Will the Cap and Rotor from Orilies fit?
I just need to test a theory.... and want to replace the Cap and rotor real quick.

Or do I need to hunt down a cap and rotor online? Because I've looked a bit and cand find any real distinction.

Thanks!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

J-Gaz. wrote:

I've got an O9 dist.
The rotor inside seems "loose" and is See the alignment tab is a little chewed up.

I just need to test a theory.... and want to replace the Cap and rotor real quick.

Or do I need to hunt down a cap and rotor online? Because I've looked a bit and cand find any real distinction.

Thanks!

I've run vintage German 009 distributors in both my VWs for over 4 decades each.

There are numerous Bosch distributors used on VWs that use the same rotor and cap. So would one from O'Reilly Auto fit??? Quite possibly, take yours in and match up.

My information shows rotor 04033 and cap 03010; does O'Reilly show matches to those?
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Always appreciate it Cusser.

Not sure, but I'll find out!

Cusser wrote:
J-Gaz. wrote:

I've got an O9 dist.

Thanks!

I've run vintage German 009 distributors in both my VWs for over 4 decades each.

There are numerous Bosch distributors used on VWs that use the same rotor and cap. So would one from O'Reilly Auto fit??? Quite possibly, take yours in and match up.

My information shows rotor 04033 and cap 03010; does O'Reilly show matches to those?

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
J-Gaz. wrote:

I've got an O9 dist.

Thanks!

Cusser pretty well covered it. I would add just one thing. The cap and rotor is the same one used on all Bugs sold in the USA from 1969-1979.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Jump to:
Page 96 of 128

Jump to: