Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lower left side Torsion Arm installation
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmas2144
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Lower left side Torsion Arm installation Reply with quote

Hello!

I recently removed the front torsion arms on both sides of my 1969 Westfalia in order to replace the ball joints. I was able to get the right side torsion arms back in no problem, and reattach the spindle and brake assembly.

However, on the driver's side, I cannot seem to get the lower torsion arm back in (have not tried inserting the upper torsion arm yet).
It goes in about 3/4 of the way and then refuses to go any further. It seems like it doesn't want to line up with the leaf springs.

I've read through a lot of other posts, and have tried zip tying the leaf springs to hold them tight, and have made sure I have the the grub screws out on the other side to make sure they are not putting any pressure on the leaf springs.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower left side Torsion Arm installation Reply with quote

I put the zip tie right near the end, cinch it tight so that the leaves get oriented in the same shape as the recess of the arm. Then, make sure the arm is clocked exactly right and rap on it with a mallet as you push it on.
72 Baja
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower left side Torsion Arm installation Reply with quote

Pull the other side back off just enough to clear the stub arm and let it down to relax the leaves. The length of the leaves is just barely enough so that you can slide both arms on just enough to engage the leaves in the end of the torsion arms (in the shaped end) and still be clear of the stub arm. That way when you raise one side and get it over the stub arm, the other side is still captured in the arm, and can be raised next.

Not sure if I’m explaining that clearly or not but that’s how I got mine back together. By putting one side on and leaving the other hanging, you put enough tension on the leaves that they spread as they twist. That will never slide into the end unless they are stacked up evenly. Some have welded the ends, but I got it easily doing it that way.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmas2144
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower left side Torsion Arm installation Reply with quote

Quote:
By putting one side on and leaving the other hanging, you put enough tension on the leaves that they spread as they twist.

Bummer. So it sounds like I'm going to have to disassemble the right side again in order to get the left side on?

Also, exactly how should the leaf springs be oriented? It's sort of tough for me to see inside the torsion arm. I know on the beetle they should be square...
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower left side Torsion Arm installation Reply with quote

Yes, square. You can knock the cap out from the end of the arm with a punch or a socket extension dropped through from the inside, this will give a better view of what's going on.
Seal the cap back on later with RTV. I wouldn't disassemble the other side.
72 Baja
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Lower left side Torsion Arm installation Reply with quote

I have always used a couple of wraps of mechanics wire around the leaves and cinched it down tight.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Lower left side Torsion Arm installation Reply with quote

Also, if it's not already, loosen the grub screw on the other side.

And just a side note, those rubber torsion arm bushings look pretty tired. They are pretty cheap, it would be best to replace them while you have the arms loose/out.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lower left side Torsion Arm installation Reply with quote

Buses don’t use a square leaf pack; we’re thicc.
Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lower left side Torsion Arm installation Reply with quote

I recall having a similar issue (though I hadn't put the spindles on yet.)

Zip ties and such weren't doing it for me.

I filed a slight chamfer on the corners of the leaves and sort of pushed in on the arm as I twisted it such that the twisting motion and the chamfer finally allowed the springs to line up in the slots and push the arm on.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower left side Torsion Arm installation Reply with quote

Good points. The new bars from Brazil are much sharper on the corners than the originals I took out.

Robbie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmas2144
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower left side Torsion Arm installation Reply with quote

Success! I can't thank you guys enough. There is a lot of wisdom on this forum. Robbie's picture really helped, since I finally knew what the springs were supposed to look like! Really wish I had one of those orange aligners, is that a custom 3D print?

I ended up using mechanics wire like Wildthings recommended. Much more robust than zip ties. I used the vice grips to maneuver the leaves into position and then tightened down the wire.

Through some careful pushing and wiggling I was able to slide on the arm, and didn't have to disassemble the other side thankfully! Laughing

(btw I did replace the seals! Thanks for the heads up!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: