Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

I doubt I'm going to find one of these babies anytime soon. I'd like to build something close to the same size. Can anyone point me to the dimensions?

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Looking for pics of anyone's wiring from bus to the trailer as far as connections are concerned.
I have an idea of what I want to do but am looking to see how everyone else did theirs.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Looking for pics of anyone's wiring from bus to the trailer as far as connections are concerned.
I have an idea of what I want to do but am looking to see how everyone else did theirs.

Pick the style plug you like at your local Trailer Supply Store!
I'm sure there is a variety on these trailers.
I have a horizontal 4 wire plugin with a rubber cap on my pickup for my tow dolly. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
crofty wrote:

Pick the style plug you like at your local Trailer Supply Store!
I'm sure there is a variety on these trailers.
I have a horizontal 4 wire plugin with a rubber cap on my pickup for my tow dolly. Idea

I'm using a 7 pin Hella set up.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

I am in the process of restoring me Essen. Is the wood marine grade plywood, birch or mahogany? What have others used to stain or seal the wood? It appears the lid and floor are thicker than the walls. What are the thicknesses?
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

vdubdan wrote:
I am in the process of restoring me Essen. Is the wood marine grade plywood, birch or mahogany? What have others used to stain or seal the wood? It appears the lid and floor are thicker than the walls. What are the thicknesses?

sides n top is 9mm birch wood, bottom is 12mm, orig paint is phenolic resin, I used insted of that a good transparent ship-paint, works fine
1948 Type1 #1-078021 sold
1951 Type1 Crotch Cooler Ragtop
1953 Type1 Standard sold
1955 Type1 DeLuxe sold
1957 Type1 Ragtop
1959 Type1 Ragtop sold
1960 Type1 Ragtop sold
1965 Type1 Sunroof sold
1969 Type1 Semi automatic sold
1972 1302LS sold
1973 1303LS sold
1973 1303GSR sold
1978 1200 sold
1978 1200German Post Bug sold
1980 Porsche 928S chrashed & sold😂
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Hello all,

My family and I just completed a week-long, 1,400 mile trip in our Westy + Essen trailer combo only to arrive home to find one of the trailer’s fenders missing (just riveting them on was a poor design decision). Anyone know where I can find a replacement?

Thanks in advance,
- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but has anyone found a close rattle-can equivalent for the beige color used for frames and fenders on Westy Essen trailers? I received some replacement fenders from Westys.nl and want to paint them to match the rest of my trailer.

Thanks in advance,
- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nott22861
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Just picked up a 1972 Essen trailer that is in great shape and appears to be complete. Missing a kick stand and has a cracked lens. The swing arm were rusted and not “swinging”. PB Blaster and a lot of muscle and was able to remove.
Looking to see if anyone has determined the paint code for the fenders and hitch. Also, the wood finish, anyone figure out the factory color for that?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

If I were to do mine, Id use Wimbledon White.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

My ‘71 frame is tan/beige, so when I had to paint the replacement fender I used a Rustoleum color with “almond” in the name. Pretty happy with the results, though this color is slightly warmer than the original paint.

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
skylerdidit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Just picked up this 1979 Essen. It's been modified in a few places. Looks like it never had a hard top so thinking it was a canvas top only?? Rear was modified for to come off hence the rear resting brackets cut and lights moved to the side. Missing spare tire rack mount. Has the long neck tongue. Came with the original German title and import papers from the Netherlands.

Any places that sell replacement parts??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1964 Notchback
1966 Bug
1969 Bay Window Bus
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

There used to be a website called WestyTrailers but that doesn’t seem to exist anymore. I recently bought parts for my ‘71 Essen from Westys.nl. Some others on the list have had good results with them. I communicated with the seller mostly via Facebook Messenger, so maybe look them up on FB and go from there.

Hope this helps!
- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

any stateside sources for the 0.4t stickers?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

If you can't find one I can probably cut one on my Cricut. It'd have to be 2 layers...one a solid white background, the other a top black layer with the "0,4t" window cut out. It would look the part, though. I cut stencils for WW2 German warbikes and license plates. Anyway, PM me if you're interested and I can work something up.

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Just FYI, I recreated the "0,4t" stickers. PM me if you're interested in a set. They're made of 2 layers of vinyl, the bottom is white and the top black with letter windows but in it. USD 20 (includes domestic US shipping). PM me for more information.

Thanks,
- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Finally got the Essen on the road after having it shipped over in 2014!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Good work! Very Happy
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Anyone have some good pics of the inside where the wheel mounts to the shock/bumper ?

What exactly is the suspension on these ?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Anyone have some good pics of the inside where the wheel mounts to the shock/bumper ?

What exactly is the suspension on these ?

Its just a rubber shock.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: