Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery tender help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Battery tender help Reply with quote

I'm having issues trying to hook up a battery tender for my sister in law. I purchased a Deltran Battery Tender Plus 1.25A. I have one that I use at my house that I've never had any issues with.

The problem I'm having is that the amber charging light never turns green to indicate a full charge. I thought the battery might be bad, but I've tried the tender on 3 vehicles, one of which is my F150 with a new battery. All of the batteries I've tried it on show a full charge 12.5+ volts with a VOM. I thought the charger might be bad, so I took it back and got a new one. Same results.

I will say that the wiring in her garage is older and looks sketchy to me. Lots of additional outlets added over the years and I'm pretty sure it was all DIY. Kind of like some of our ACVW's with PO wiring hack jobs. The tender is obviously getting power, but is it possible that the wiring is causing it to not perform as designed? Any other thoughts? Thanks.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

Not an electrician and this might be garbage advice but the first thing I thought of because I used to live in an older house with some garbage PO hack wiring is if the outlet is grounded.

I don't mean that it has a ground plug in the outlet, is it actually grounded through the outlet too. My old house had a few 3-prong outlets installed in the garage but the ground connection was not hooked up to anything.

Would that make a difference? I don't know.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem I'm having is that the amber charging light never turns green to indicate a full charge. I thought the battery might be bad, but I've tried the tender on 3 vehicles, one of which is my F150 with a new battery. All of the batteries I've tried it on show a full charge 12.5+ volts with a VOM. I thought the charger might be bad, so I took it back and got a new one. Same results.

Your test would not reveal a bad battery. Any battery might have a weak enough cell to create a differential thst the tender will detect as requiring a charge.

Probably overthinking it this. install tender and relax !
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Not an electrician and this might be garbage advice but the first thing I thought of because I used to live in an older house with some garbage PO hack wiring is if the outlet is grounded.

I don't mean that it has a ground plug in the outlet, is it actually grounded through the outlet too. My old house had a few 3-prong outlets installed in the garage but the ground connection was not hooked up to anything.

Would that make a difference? I don't know.

Interesting thought about the ground. Good chance the outlet is not grounded. But, the tender plug is only two prong, so I wonder if a grounded outlet is needed. I have no idea!
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

I went through the same thing. Today's cars are loaded with computers and electronics that need to stay awake. I chalked it up to the constant trickle drain from the electronics, the charger "sees" this, and is constantly trying to keep the battery topped off. Not sure if I am correct, but it kinda makes some sense.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
I went through the same thing. Today's cars are loaded with computers and electronics that need to stay awake. I chalked it up to the constant trickle drain from the electronics, the charger "sees" this, and is constantly trying to keep the battery topped off. Not sure if I am correct, but it kinda makes some sense.

Very possible, but I kind of ruled that out for a couple of reasons. The car in question is a 1995 Mercedes, so not loaded with extras. And, I've hooked my wife's 2006 Mercedes to the same model tender at our house (with modern wiring!) and it works as designed.

Thanks for the reply.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

Take a voltmeter reading straight from the charger itself while plugged into her garage wall outlet, see what it says.

Then take the charger to your house and do the same thing, or try hooking it up to your wife's Mercedes (since you know the one you have works there) see if it ever reads fully charged there.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

what kind of car are we talking about? i can try and find the OEM suggested mA draw.

a couple points to consider...

is there anything in the car aftermarket? cameras, cell phone charger, XM radio etc? even "off" these can suck power

and (depending on the car) where are her keys?

years ago in an alternate universe when i was trained by the fine folks at GM we had a new corvette killing the battery in a couple days/week.

after jumping thru all the normal hoops we found zero issues and the car went to sleep.

we kept the car for 2 weeks and it never killed the battery. returned the car to the customer and sure as shit....battery went dead.

after much time and effort spent i found that if you move the keys within about 15-20' of the car, it "woke up" systems came online in anticipation of being started.

turns out the guy had a key rack on the door to his garage which they had use as the main entry to the house. every time the door got opened the fob shot a wake up signal due to movement in the fob.

anyway....every car is different so post what kind of car it is and i'll see if i can't dig up rest voltage for you

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
what kind of car are we talking about? i can try and find the OEM suggested mA draw.

a couple points to consider...

is there anything in the car aftermarket? cameras, cell phone charger, XM radio etc? even "off" these can suck power

and (depending on the car) where are her keys?

years ago in an alternate universe when i was trained by the fine folks at GM we had a new corvette killing the battery in a couple days/week.

after jumping thru all the normal hoops we found zero issues and the car went to sleep.

we kept the car for 2 weeks and it never killed the battery. returned the car to the customer and sure as shit....battery went dead.

after much time and effort spent i found that if you move the keys within about 15-20' of the car, it "woke up" systems came online in anticipation of being started.

turns out the guy had a key rack on the door to his garage which they had use as the main entry to the house. every time the door got opened the fob shot a wake up signal due to movement in the fob.

anyway....every car is different so post what kind of car it is and i'll see if i can't dig up rest voltage for you

It's a 1995 Mercedes C280. The only aftermarket electronics is a cassette changer mounted in the trunk. The key is an old school key, no fob. Thanks for the reply and offer to research.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

Just for the heck of it, try disconnecting the battery from the car and put the tender on it.
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

Probably a dumb question, but is this a sealed battery? If not sealed, did you check the cells to see if the plates are completely covered? A low cell might throw off the overall max voltage and never allow the charger circuit to turn off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Just for the heck of it, try disconnecting the battery from the car and put the tender on it.

Tried that....same results. I really don't think the battery is the issue because I've tried the tender on two other cars....a 2016 F150 with brand new battery and a 2017 Jeep. The results are the same for both cars.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

Raymond73 wrote:
Probably a dumb question, but is this a sealed battery? If not sealed, did you check the cells to see if the plates are completely covered? A low cell might throw off the overall max voltage and never allow the charger circuit to turn off.

It's a Mercedes AGM battery, so it's sealed.
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:

Well, crap. Strike one. Cracked post because a 400 lb gorilla tightened the cable with an impact gun?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

Have you tried it at your house to rule out sketchy wiring? you know your old one works there right? If the new one acts up the same chalk it up to top notch quality control in China and return it (again) until you find a winner.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:

are you sure it's compatible with the AGM battery? they require a different charging strategy compared to a flooded battery

that said, let me see if i can dig up some specs

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Have you tried it at your house to rule out sketchy wiring? you know your old one works there right? If the new one acts up the same chalk it up to top notch quality control in China and return it (again) until you find a winner.

I'm going to swap it with mine next time I come down. My money is still on the sketchy wiring. I think I'm going to see if I can find an outlet in the main part of the house that is close enough that I can reach the car.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
rcroane wrote:

are you sure it's compatible with the AGM battery? they require a different charging strategy compared to a flooded battery

that said, let me see if i can dig up some specs

Yep, it works with AGM batteries....says right on the box and the one I use at home is hooked up to an AGM battery.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
raydog wrote:

Tried that....same results. I really don't think the battery is the issue because I've tried the tender on two other cars....a 2016 F150 with brand new battery and a 2017 Jeep. The results are the same for both cars.

You are moving the battery to the other cars for this test, right?
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery tender help Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
rcroane wrote:
raydog wrote:

You are moving the battery to the other cars for this test, right?

No. The point I was trying to make was that I've put the tender on 3 batteries (including the Merc) that all show a full charge with my VOM. The tender will not show a full charge on any of those batteries. The battery in my F150 is less than 6 months old and measured 12.78V when I put the tender on it. Left it for several hours....amber light still glowing solid. In that circumstance, I would expect the tender to show steady green light in a matter of minutes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: