Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Seat
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Rear Seat Reply with quote

I've seen some pics of nice rear seat cushions and backs for a Myers style buggy but when I got a quote from an upholstery shop they wanted $950 if I supplied the plywood forms. Another place thought maybe $600.

Are these available commercially? Ive looked but nothing so far. I want something with some pattern to it. Its just for show, no one would ride there.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Reply with quote

satterley_sr wrote:
I've seen some pics of nice rear seat cushions and backs for a Myers style buggy but when I got a quote from an upholstery shop they wanted $950 if I supplied the plywood forms. Another place thought maybe $600.

Are these available commercially? Ive looked but nothing so far. I want something with some pattern to it. Its just for show, no one would ride there.

Wow! I feel lucky, mine came with a rear seat and yes lots of people have ridden there and will continue to. Mostly in the back country where we live not so much in populated areas with heavy traffic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Reply with quote

I cut out my own plywood bottom and back. I put a couple blindnuts in each one and then varnished them with a few coats of clear.

If I remember correctly it cost me about $500.00 for both pieces to get covered and he just matched the pattern of my PRP front seats.
They have held up for probably 60,000 miles and 13 years. They are getting a little thin and weathered now but so are my PRP Roadsters.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
I cut out my own plywood bottom and back. I put a couple blindnuts in each one and then varnished them with a few coats of clear.

If I remember correctly it cost me about $500.00 for both pieces to get covered and he just matched the pattern of my PRP front seats.
They have held up for probably 60,000 miles and 13 years. They are getting a little thin and weathered now but so are my PRP Roadsters.

That looks good. My first buggy was a Manx clone type and I did something similar. My wife covered them for not much money. I think it was 1 inch thick firm foam, half inch thick soft foam, some black vinyl to match the front seats, and some spray contact adhesive.

We worked together to apply the vinyl. It starts by wrapping each corner over about half the angle between the sides (so on a square corner at a 45 degree angle.) That is glued and stapled and then the sides are wrapped over and stapled (no glue, you have to adjust for a smooth line before holding them in place.) It still looked a little bare so my wife got some black vinyl coated buttons with a nail on the back to tuft them.

Even doing it at home was about a $50 job 25 years ago. Foam and vinyl aren't cheap, but a lot less than an upholstery shop!

Last edited by EVfun on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Reply with quote

I'm sure prices have increased since mine were done in 2008. $600-900 would probably not be too far out of line in 2021 prices.

My PRP Roadsters were $520.00 shipped to my door with mounts and sliders in 2007. You can't touch them for almost twice that without shipping.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Reply with quote

I just used some material that was a very close match to my seats.

Some plywood, some foam, some material and a bunch of staples. I bet I could still make one for around $100.

Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Seat Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I just used some material that was a very close match to my seats.

Some plywood, some foam, some material and a bunch of staples. I bet I could still make one for around $100.

how about some pics of the seats?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: