Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some questions about a 1904 going into an early bay
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions about a 1904 going into an early bay Reply with quote

modok wrote:
the problem I had with the CB vents is the smallest point was far too high, so what I did was buy a size smaller and re-shape the top of the venturi so the smallest point was where it's supposed to be.

That is exactly what I´m after in the situations I refer to.
richparker wrote:

I like my real 009, but I do understand it is disliked around here.

Then you have A LOT to learn about ignition. And that is said with a friendly push to get you in the right direction. The 009/010/019 type distributors were mainly used on hooped up engines back then, because it was simple, almost any mechanic could service it and most garage mechanics too. If you take a sneak peak into ignition systems that are a little newer, we don´t have to go further than the late 80´s you will notice that these systems are significantly different from a 009 behaviure. Using a set up that is slightly more modern, and exploiting the benefits of that can bring you better power, better fuel efficiency and cooler running heads in just about every circumstance.
Just about the only positive thing with a proper 009 is that its simple.
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions about a 1904 going into an early bay Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
modok wrote:
the problem I had with the CB vents is the smallest point was far too high, so what I did was buy a size smaller and re-shape the top of the venturi so the smallest point was where it's supposed to be.

That is exactly what I´m after in the situations I refer to.

In my situation, the recommendation has been a 30-32mm venturi, so a 30 from CB--if indeed misshapen in the way described--wouldn't be ideal because 30 is at the low end of the recommendation, no?

I have OG Italian 32s but those are a little big, yeah?

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions about a 1904 going into an early bay Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:

In my situation, the recommendation has been a 30-32mm venturi, so a 30 from CB--if indeed misshapen in the way described--wouldn't be ideal because 30 is at the low end of the recommendation, no?

Basicly yes.
Since we do not know how your driving style is a venturi size can and will only be based on a generic evaluation. So whether the one or the other would suit you best there is only one way to find out Wink
without knowing anything else I would break it down as follows:
If you still use the factory 3 rib transmission I would go with a 32 mm. If you use a 6 rib I would stay with a 30 mm.
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions about a 1904 going into an early bay Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
D/A/N wrote:

Basicly yes.
Since we do not know how your driving style is a venturi size can and will only be based on a generic evaluation. So whether the one or the other would suit you best there is only one way to find out Wink
without knowing anything else I would break it down as follows:
If you still use the factory 3 rib transmission I would go with a 32 mm. If you use a 6 rib I would stay with a 30 mm.

Ha! My current driving style is shaped by the limited available power of a single port 1600.

That said, I'm using the factory 3 rib trans with this larger motor.....

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions about a 1904 going into an early bay Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:

Do you run an oil temp gauge? If so, where do you put the sender?

Yes. I have a CB White Rhino case, which is universal and my oil temp sender is machined into the T3 oil filler block off plate. I also have a Oil pressure gauge and a Dakota Digital head temp gauge. My heads seem to run pretty cool. I’m running CNC ported CB 044 Super Mags with all German tin, working flaps and a velocity ring.

I also run a external cooler with a fan, a 180* T-stat, a oil filter (Wix #51515) and Parker hoses and fittings. There is a 30* temperature difference in the oil leaving my case and the oil going back in. I also have a T4 cooler mounted to the case instead of a T1 cooler, the doghouse has to modified for this upgrade.

My build link is in my signature line, the engine stuff is posted on page 12 about half way down.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions about a 1904 going into an early bay Reply with quote

So the longblock has traveled 2/3 of the way across the country and is now hanging out in my storage unit for the next few weeks while I get things together. I went to the unit today to grab my tin for cleaning and potential repainting and I decided to see how it fit the heads and the answer is ………“not so good”. I only tried the 3/4 side, but wow, what a gap above the exhaust port.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It turns out that the tin is hitting these three fins around the upper head nut on both sides. I figured before I get the file out and go nuts on the high spots on this casting that I’d ask if this was common. Is it? These are Tims super stock heads built off AA 043 castings. You can see the offending high parts here….the worst is second to the right of the head nut

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions about a 1904 going into an early bay Reply with quote

I had problems with CB heads fitting stock tin on the intake manifold surface, its not machined off past the gasket seating area, just continues up, the V shaped air diverter inside the tin hits the head surface there.
Also tin fit below the cover tins, the exhaust manifold boss seemed to large, had to cut small tins down, .also had problems fitting bottom diveter tins that thermo rod goes thru, I think most heads will have some fit problems.
These are some repairs I'm doing to a 1776/71 Bay, stock uncut deck still.

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: