Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

There are a lot of reasons for a rebuilt title. Having no access to those photos, I can't form an opinion on your particular car. However, I literally just finished the paperwork and picked up car from the PA Enhanced Inspection Station today having to do the dance for a reconstructed title. Why? Because it's a 2010 HHR panel with 50K miles on it. Yes, to most people it's a disposable vehicle - cheap and easy on gas, which is why I bought it to keep my 3/4 ton truck for days that I really need it. Anyway, back in March the HHR was hit in a parking lot by a driver not paying attention - whacked the passenger rear quarter, crumpling the tail light area. Their insurance refused to pay for used parts (i.e. a donor vehicle) since the cost to replace the quarter exceeded the book value and new parts were no longer available. So.. instant total. Since it was worth it to me to have it fixed, I took the insurance company's check that we agreed a value on, retained the car, and had a buddy of mine work his magic to straighten everything out. So, yeah, there are definitely levels of "rebuilt title" and what it represents. Try to do a PPI with a reputable shop that can recognize poor repairs. And not all states will allow a salvage title on the road - PA is one of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

I don't think ANY state allows a salvage title on the road- however rebuilt titles are fine as long as they have been inspected, just different states have different rules regarding what you must do to get it registered.
Anyway found out this evening the car is already sold to some other schmuck so I won't be worrying about it, there will be others, with a clean title and maybe the 3.6R! (And Everett yes I must have that color! Smile Only available on limited production runs of the 2013 and 2017 models.)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
the car is already sold to some other schmuck so I won't be worrying about it, there will be others, with a clean title and maybe the 3.6R! (And Everett yes I must have that color! Smile Only available on limited production runs of the 2013 and 2017 models.)

Yeah, if it's one thing I learned is another one always pops up, usually right after you bought this one. Wink

I understand on the color, there are a couple "modern" cars that I totally would go for a specific color, limited edition or not
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

would be interesting to see what is being discussed.... Confused

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
That's not totaled... this is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It’s the “LIE stop short while texting” Special
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
Car with a rebuilt title is only as good as the person's skills that rebuilt it.
You show me a car with a rebuilt title with minimal damage, and It's got a rebuilt title.
My guess is it already has been rebuilt once.
Also at auction, some dicks buy damaged cars, clean them up a bit, hide critical damage, and then flip it a a rebuilder.
Watch a bunch of this guys video's and you get the idea. Vehcor knows what he is doing.

Link

All that work for a car that should have been turned into 100 toasters
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
That's not totaled... this is.

I thought I saw that car on I-94 Friday in Detroit. If not it sure looked like it, as it passed us by in the left lane. Think
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I don't think ANY state allows a salvage title on the road- however rebuilt titles are fine as long as they have been inspected, just different states have different rules regarding what you must do to get it registered.

California allows salvage titles on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
sb001 wrote:

California allows salvage titles on the road.

I'm pretty sure Oregon does too, my bus has a branded title and they re-up the tabs every 2 years (her damage was cosmetic but expensive). I laid the bus on her passenger side in a ditch at 55mph (long story) and pretty much destroyed the body from headlight to tail light from the beltline down...

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Geeks. It is much easier to fix Emily than Margaret. Glad you are still with us.

Any pics you can share ? ( Emily, of course Laughing )
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

I think people are misunderstanding what I meant-
no state allows a currently salvage titled car to be driven on the road. Only after it has been repaired, and given a "rebuilt" or "reconstructed" or "revived" or whatever title. Then yes, no problem.

EDIT: The guidelines for Oregon actually say that a salvage titled car "may not be operated on the highways of the state." I suppose that may be a loophole if you want to drive around city streets or back roads.

1600 SP engine
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I think people are misunderstanding what I meant-
no state allows a currently salvage titled car to be driven on the road. Only after it has been repaired, and given a "rebuilt" or "reconstructed" or "revived" or whatever title. Then yes, no problem.

EDIT: The guidelines for Oregon actually say that a salvage titled car "may not be operated on the highways of the state." I suppose that may be a loophole if you want to drive around city streets or back roads.

and again, any bit of research at all would tell you that is not true. It's a matter of wording. California absolutely allows salvage title cars on the road. there isn't a "rebuilt" status in California. It's Clean, Salvage, or Junk
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

and again, any bit of research at all would tell you that is not true. It's a matter of wording. California absolutely allows salvage title cars on the road. there isn't a "rebuilt" status in California. It's Clean, Salvage, or Junk

I did my research before I posted that. Thus, the reason I used the term "revived" in my post, which I had never heard of until I researched salvage title laws in California.

Read up:

https://www.carinsurance.com/salvage-title-california.aspx

So, in California while salvaged vehicles may be deemed not road-worthy, a revived salvage vehicle may be registered and be driven on the roadways. It is likely when you hear about "salvage" vehicles being bought and driven by people that it is really a "revived salvage" auto. As you know laws in California require the registered owner to have insurance on their motor vehicle.

Now, far be it from me to get into a huge debate about this-- I'm just going by what is stated here. However don't accuse me of not doing "any bit of research at all." If what is linked above is wrong (and you sure seem to be saying it is,) then your complaint is with the writers of that article, not me.

1600 SP engine
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

when a salvage CERTIFICATE car is fixed, and inspected, CA DMV will issue a salvage TITLE. there is a differance. The title will not say revived, it will say salvaged (upper right hand corner). Yes you do have to do this in order to put the car on the road. doesnt mean the car was fixed corretly, etc. It's just a piece of paper

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

About 25 years ago I was looking at cars in a salvage yard here and expressed interest in a 57 oval. When I inquired about the title the man told me he could get any kind of title from Louisiana, including clean and green problem free for a small fee.

Things have probably tightened up since then but there are still too many crooks out there. The car fax everyone loves can also be manipulated, I’ve seen it done. I’m just skeptical to a fault.

People are incentivized to not report an accident because it devalues the car and raises premiums. Then there are the guys that buy two cars and make one or weld a roof section with bondo. What can we do? I try to look for 1 owner local stuff that has all the records. 😀 Look for the unicorns if you have time. Honestly this is a terrible time to be a buyer, prices too high. I’m going to sell a 2006 Tacoma that retails between 14 to 18k now.

I paid 9k for it 2 years ago😀
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
About 25 years ago I was looking at cars in a salvage yard here and expressed interest in a 57 oval. When I inquired about the title the man told me he could get any kind of title from Louisiana, including clean and green problem free for a small fee.

Things have probably tightened up since then but there are still too many crooks out there. The car fax everyone loves can also be manipulated, I’ve seen it done. I’m just skeptical to a fault.

People are incentivized to not report an accident because it devalues the car and raises premiums. Then there are the guys that buy two cars and make one or weld a roof section with bondo. What can we do? I try to look for 1 owner local stuff that has all the records. 😀 Look for the unicorns if you have time. Honestly this is a terrible time to be a buyer, prices too high. I’m going to sell a 2006 Tacoma that retails between 14 to 18k now.

I paid 9k for it 2 years ago😀

This is why I consider my bug a "unicorn" of sorts, because my folks bought it new and dad was a receipt hoarder. Cool
Funny how though, when you are trying to negotiate a price on something like that and bring up the fact that you have service and repair records dating back 50 years, it suddenly doesn't seem that important to most folks Wink

1600 SP engine
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Geeks. It is much easier to fix Emily than Margaret. Glad you are still with us.

Any pics you can share ? ( Emily, of course Laughing )

I didn't take any accident pic's (it was pretty awful), and all I banged up was my left knee pretty hard against the steering column, and was pretty sore from being sideways for a bit. Bless her, Emily went rocketing along sideways, hit the end of the ditch, bounced back onto all 4 tires, and came to a rest in the wide grassy median of a subdivision entrance... no one saw it happen Shocked . So once I stopped crying, I drove her home.

My mechanic, Harold Dick, wasn't surprised that it was only cosmetic, he said buses are pretty tough Wink The insurance company was a bit pissy when I made them fix her.

Just looked at my title - it says "Totaled - Reconstructed" so I must be okay.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back up, to say that I did indeed find another brilliant brown pearl 2013 Outback (sorry, no pics Very Happy ), this one with the 3.6 engine and the regular 5 speed automatic (the 6 cylinders had not gone the way of the CVT yet in 2013.)

Which leads me to another issue: I bought the car with one almost new tire (on drivers front) and 3 very worn ones. Now I know the rule regarding even tread wear on all 4 tires on an AWD car, and I had planned on getting the other tires replaced yesterday evening. But, I had a family emergency literally right after I bought the car, that forced me to drive about 200 miles away (mostly interstate) without having time to change the other tires. I'm getting them replaced tomorrow before driving back home- have I done any damage to the drive train? Not hearing any weird noises or anything, but are there any other telltale signs that I might need to look for?

1600 SP engine
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

Quote:
Just looked at my title - it says "Totaled - Reconstructed" so I must be okay.

My favourite car penter has that same notation on his birth certificate.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: opinions on cars w/ rebuilt titles? Reply with quote

florida side thier totaled titles can never be retitied....well unless you retitle it. Shocked there are ways around everything. the guy who bought my bug tried to give me back the title Shocked Alabama dont use them. I still need to track down the tittle for one of my vw's pans, somewhere up in indaina or wisconsin or mitchagian...I think....the last owner was little help,he could not find it,and could not remember the shop that makes the shortened pans...or much of any thing. his kids were to help build the car...after the divorce...and..one picked up a gitar and the other turned out to be gay and didnt want nothing to do with cars...so i have a car with no tittle...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: