Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DPD A/C unit, can't find comparison
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: DPD A/C unit, can't find comparison Reply with quote

There is a write-up "DPD air conditioning for the VW Bus" in the Bay window stickies that I found highly informative. The writer adapted a later Sanden Compressor and Honda pully with a thin serpentine belt and it all seems to work well. I have never seen that style of DPD underdash system, but I like the idea of accessing your fuses without dropping the unit. Or extending the wires and relocating the fuse box. One of the reasons I have never installed mine.
I wonder if yours is an early version? The chrome trim was more in style in the late 60's early 70's than it was a decade later, although the busses themselves never had any dashboard chrome embellishment throughout the run. Could be that DPD was responding to the prevailing American styling of the day?!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
vwmaniaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD A/C unit, can't find comparison Reply with quote

I have one of that same DPD units in my attic. It was intended for my 1975 Westy. I bought it as a spare for my 1968 bus when I lived in Arizona. It always worked very well and with the dual fans the passenger could stay a little warmer. Mine had the condenser coil below it under the front floor. It was a major current pull on my 30 amp generator on my 1600 motor.
86 Westy "Brown Betty"
87 Cabrio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD A/C unit, can't find comparison Reply with quote

vwmaniaman wrote:
I have one of that same DPD units in my attic. It was intended for my 1975 Westy. I bought it as a spare for my 1968 bus when I lived in Arizona. It always worked very well and with the dual fans the passenger could stay a little warmer. Mine had the condenser coil below it under the front floor. It was a major current pull on my 30 amp generator on my 1600 motor.

meaning you flew backwards Laughing
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD A/C unit, can't find comparison Reply with quote

hey @badstuw - any updates?
any one have any pics of this particular unit to share ?

i am also in san diego and recently acquired the same unit ... missing 1 of the vents though .. will probably have to design something to print on my 3d printer ..

i'm curious what this thing looks like installed, i've never seen one fitted ... and i'm not quite at the stage where im going to pull my parcel trays off for the test fit ..

it's interesting that it's one continuous evaporator core inside of the entire unit .. the other ones i've seen used 2 smaller cores, or 1 core on the passenger side vented over to the driver ..

i want to say that that the BTU capacity vs total size on this seems to be much higher than the other bus under-dash evaps i've seen (besides the Ice Auto Air one from San Diego...it seems to be ALL evap core in there.... but i've been trying to get Robert to sell me one of those for 2+ years....) ... it's also quite a bit narrower, overall.

i can't seem to figure out the details on this thing .. the guys at Gilmore told me that DPD made this because they wanted it for their own personal buses ... i believe it was offered pretty late in the game - 79 maybe?
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: DPD A/C unit, can't find comparison Reply with quote

Here's a pic of mine taken apart.... I have to say, this is a really interesting unit.

The small external appearance of the unit is misleading.
The evap core inside is massive.

When I asked the Gilmore guys about the capacity they said the single evap is similar to what the total system size would be in a front/rear evap setup.

My speculation is that this was the final DPD revision for 1979.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EDIT: fixed image link

Last edited by metahacker on Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: DPD A/C unit, can't find comparison Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
Here's a pic of mine taken apart.... I have to say, this is a really interesting unit.

When I asked the Gilmore guys about the capacity they said the single evap is similar to what the total system size would be in a front/rear evap setup.

Man, that has got to be some nervous work pulling all of that fragile plastic apart! I remember looking at a DPD over head unit about 20 years ago in a bone yard, putting my hand on it, and the corner splitting right off! I wandered off quickly.
badstuw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD A/C unit, can't find comparison Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice!. I did take the entire unit apart and cleaned it all out, much as you did. I actually paused on my a/c install since I undertook a bigger project last winter and did a full Subaru swap. Finished the swap in February and haven't revisited the a/c portion yet, having too much fun at highway speeds Laughing . I have two of these units since airschooled hooked it up.

If you need the additional vent, I could probably help you out, since I really don't need two units. Was just holding on to it for spare parts in case of failure. I also have the underbelly condenser with fans and shroud that go with this. PM if interested.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: DPD A/C unit, can't find comparison Reply with quote

The Evaporator core in the overhead DPD system measures to 464 cubic inches. It’s big, and yours appears to be similar in size. I have no idea what the refrigerant mass flow rates through the old York compressors was, and considering the fact this evaporator is a single path tube and fin design, And you will probably be running 134A instead of R12 refrigerant (as it was designed for), there’s no way to know what the BTU capacity actually is, so just measuring volume is really the best comparison you can make. I can cool my whole bus to low 70’sF in 100+F heat in direct sunlight. It takes about 30,000 BTU to do that, so my best guess is that’s the capacity of that big evaporator. Put the biggest one you can fit in yours that will match up to the compressor you choose. If your evaporator is too big for your compressor, it may not stay fully flooded with liquid refrigerant, and won’t be as efficient as a smaller one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: