Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

paint process for Temple rattle can paint?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: paint process for Temple rattle can paint? Reply with quote

I'm about ready to put the color coat on the hood of my pastel green '50. I bought a few cans of single stage rattle can paint from Temple. I painted the inside of the hood and the color match looks very good. The finish is pretty good, but it needs to be shinier on the outside.

So what's the process?

Just keep adding coats until I run out, only waiting for flash times between coats and therefore no sanding between coats?

Wet sanding/buffing: What series of sandpaper grits before buffing?

It's surprising how hard it's been to find this advice anywhere online. You'd think Temple would offer an advice sheet with the paint.
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: paint process for Temple rattle can paint? Reply with quote

Spray clear rattle can on it.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: paint process for Temple rattle can paint? Reply with quote

2k Clear and wear a mask and gloves and rest of the protective gear to protect you from the chemicals. Eastwood sells a version in aerosol.
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: paint process for Temple rattle can paint? Reply with quote

I don't see how clear coat would be advisable, as the rest of the car has no clear coat. I'm just doing the hood. The paint job is 60 years old but looks good from 20 feet.
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: paint process for Temple rattle can paint? Reply with quote

Did the paint come with hardener?

If it did not then that is your problem. Not only does the hardener add strength, durability, hardness, but it also provides a nice glossy finish. That's why hardener/catalysts are often labeled as "wet look."

Or I'm not sure how experienced you are shooting paint, but you could be dealing with dry spray. Without a picture I can't say. You need to spray the final coat on heavy enough that it flows out fully. There is a fine line between thick enough and too thick. If you spray it on to "dry" it will have a very fine matte like texture to it (the surface won't be smooth like glass,) but if you spray too thick you risk "runs."

I've found that %95 of the time new single stage is actually too glossy compared to an old paintjob. For example, if I do one panel... let's say
a hood, door, fender etc. The newly painted part is TOO glossy so I need to actually polish the whole car to tie everything together.

So that leads me to think something is going wrong with paint application or you are not using hardener. I would suggest you post a picture tho, just to be sure.

As far as wet sanding and polishing, I start with 2500, then 3000, 4000, finish with 5000 (be prepared to spend all day sanding) then polish with a scratch removing polish compound and then if you wish final polish compound then wax. That's the basic idea.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: paint process for Temple rattle can paint? Reply with quote

I just looked up temple paints and found the samba add etc....

That is touch up paint! It's not catalyzed. It's meant to maybe fix the bottom edge of a fender or something, NOT for painting a whole hood.

I would strip all the paint back off... clearcoat will not fix it... at best it's a bandaid that won't look quite right

Take you ashtray out or find some kind of painted panel which can be removed fairly easily off the car. Find a local auto body supply place or paint store and call them to ask if they can mix you some single stage paint with hardener mixed in and put into an aerosol can (there is a place near me that does that, it cost $35 per can and has a shorter shelf life due to hardener being pre-mixed) You may have to call a few places.

Personally I would use a spray gun ( there are some ones that work well for very cheap under $50, not super high quality or durable... but they do the job well enough ) and get a pint or quart of single stage paint with hardener on the side from a local paint supply or auto body painting type place.

I could possibly help you if you need. PM if you want to send me your ashtray or something and the money for the paint/shipping etc, the guy at this shop I use is REALLY good at color matching.
johncocke356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: paint process for Temple rattle can paint? Reply with quote

Rattle can paint in general I have done as follows:
1. Prep ends with 1000 grit dry sand.
2. Several coats of rattle can paint, following can directions.
3. Let dry a long time (months if possible)
4. Wet sand from 1000 to 1500
5. Polish with TR-3, again following instructions, I use a foam pad and Griots Garage polisher.
6. Follow with your favorite wax.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I rattle canned some parts, left old coats on, polished the entire car.
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: paint process for Temple rattle can paint? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

That is touch up paint! It's not catalyzed. It's meant to maybe fix the bottom edge of a fender or something, NOT for painting a whole hood.

I would strip all the paint back off... clearcoat will not fix it... at best it's a bandaid that won't look quite right

Take you ashtray out or find some kind of painted panel which can be removed fairly easily off the car. Find a local auto body supply place or paint store and call them to ask if they can mix you some single stage paint with hardener mixed in and put into an aerosol can (there is a place near me that does that, it cost $35 per can and has a shorter shelf life due to hardener being pre-mixed) You may have to call a few places.

Personally I would use a spray gun ( there are some ones that work well for very cheap under $50, not super high quality or durable... but they do the job well enough ) and get a pint or quart of single stage paint with hardener on the side from a local paint supply or auto body painting type place.

I could possibly help you if you need. PM if you want to send me your ashtray or something and the money for the paint/shipping etc, the guy at this shop I use is REALLY good at color matching.

I haven't painted the hood yet. It's currently primered. I did have some paint color-matched but it didn't come out very well and the cans tended to clog pretty quickly. The rest of the car is a bit oxidized so I plan on polishing the whole car when I'm done. There are other areas of the car where there are some slight color match problems, so the long-term solution is a whole new proper paint job. For now, I think it I can get it to look ok with the Temple paint.
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: paint process for Temple rattle can paint? Reply with quote

ckissick wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:

I haven't painted the hood yet. It's currently primered. I did have some paint color-matched but it didn't come out very well and the cans tended to clog pretty quickly. The rest of the car is a bit oxidized so I plan on polishing the whole car when I'm done. There are other areas of the car where there are some slight color match problems, so the long-term solution is a whole new proper paint job. For now, I think it I can get it to look ok with the Temple paint.

Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure to get a good couple coats on the outside. A polish and wax can go a long way as well, if the match is good it should look very good. I wouldn't waste my time wet sanding on this one especially for what your doing.

BTW, My mostly OG paint Beetle has a similar color match situation going on with the fenders and such. I've even used straight lacquer color matched in places because of its blending properties. I'm actually planning to finally redo my hood soon and already bought a quart of single stage urethane for it, had it matched to my ashtray. I dont think I'll ever repaint the car fully because I like having the slightly aged original paint interior Twisted Evil I'm into the not-overdone, survivor weathered vibe... a car with some age related flaws can give it character... might I dare say "patina" Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: