Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot)
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

Have 03 weekender which I've owned since new. Never had any problems with the van.......till now

Problem is the van stalls. And it stalls only after being driven for awhile (like an hour or so). After it stalls and it sits for 2-3 minutes it will start up and drive but only for a few minutes before it stalls again.
No warning lights come on. Mechanic can't find anything wrong! Mad

BTW the fuel pump was replaced recently. Was making some noise so I had it replaced.

Any ideas? going on road trip soon and have to have this issue resolved
Wyotdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

I'd start at that fuel pump. Right?
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

Check the N80 Evap purge valve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

dborell wrote:
Have 03 weekender which I've owned since new. Never had any problems with the van.......till now

Problem is the van stalls. And it stalls only after being driven for awhile (like an hour or so). After it stalls and it sits for 2-3 minutes it will start up and drive but only for a few minutes before it stalls again.
No warning lights come on. Mechanic can't find anything wrong! Mad

BTW the fuel pump was replaced recently. Was making some noise so I had it replaced.

Any ideas? going on road trip soon and have to have this issue resolved

You will have to assess if your mechanic is a parts changer or a diagnostician. If they can’t tell you how they will proceed and give you an estimate of diagnostic costs…..parts changer you can’t afford

I would be charging one hour to install a fuel pressure gauge and then duplicate the fault and assess fuel delivery
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

If you let it cool down, does everything operate as normal? I had a similar issue when my crankcase breather hose developed a hairline crack. Part number 022103474A. NLA. And I've tried every way to source one, and had to repair the one on my 02 EV. I had no codes, etc. Still would start up when hot, run for a few seconds and stall. If I held my foot on the gas, it would stay running, but that wasn't a realistic solution.
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts....
Yep when cool operates as normal.

I'm not sure about the mechanic. Being out of town I wasn't familiar with the shop.

Anyways, took it to my local mechanic and he says the engine/crank speed sensor is faulty.... a relatively cheap fix Cool Will find out for sure Monday when I pick it up
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

Nope not fixed.....Drove down to San Diego (100 miles) to move my son and all his stuff back home. Was fine till about 2/3 the way home when it stalled....and like always it would restart after 5 minutes of sitting and then run for about 10 minutes before stalling again. Repeated this process till I made it home. Seems electrical to me since it doesn't sputter when stalls....just like turns off...Shop can't find anything wrong! Brick wall
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

Time to monitor fuel pressure during the event.
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Time to monitor fuel pressure during the event.

Problem is the van doesn't do it when the mechanic has it...and they let it idle in the shop all day
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

What brand fuel pump did you use on the last work? It’s easy to link a fuel or return line working in that tight space

You hook the fuel gauge up permanently and drive the Bus around until it recurs.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

Where are you 100 miles from San Diego? There is an outstanding Eurovan shop in Anaheim called Mike's Foreign. Call them to diagnose the situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
What brand fuel pump did you use on the last work? It’s easy to link a fuel or return line working in that tight space

You hook the fuel gauge up permanently and drive the Bus around until it recurs.

It was a Pierburg pump purchased off europarts-sd.com
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

Turned out the new Pierburg was faulty.
Replaced with a VDO fuel pump...problem solved Very Happy finally!
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Stalls for no apparent reason (when hot) Reply with quote

Yep. VDO is the best pump. Finally proved it was my pump failing by installing a fuel pressure gauge. First time it happened, no fuel pressure. Bad pump.

Glad you got it fixed proper!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: