Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fix that Poptop push bar!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Thank you
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

If this is as far as I can raise the roof since the end of the bar was cut completely through and is no longer sitting in through the "knee joint" would it be safe (cable tension-wise) to unbolt the whole assembly now while in this position? Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
...And is there a way to have something welded on to the end that sheared off to make the cross bar still functional?

Mine did not cut all the way through but even if it did I think the welded fix I used would still have worked - just a little more set-up:

The metal inserts are spacers sold at Ace Hardware.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:
...And is there a way to have something welded on to the end that sheared off to make the cross bar still functional?

Mine did not cut all the way through but even if it did I think the welded fix I used would still have worked - just a little more set-up:

The metal inserts are spacers sold at Ace Hardware.

So since mine sheared off completely at that point where yours is "grooved," do you think I can weld a spacer such as yours that protrudes out long enough to be as long as the bar's original length? Will I have to not weld it but use an adhesive like JB Weld? Do you think the difference in OD of the spacer being smaller than the bar's OD will be a problem? Thank you!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Yes I think reducing the diameter of the shaft would be a problem.

In addition, I doubt JBWeld (though I love the stuff) will be up to the task for this fix.

The fix I was suggesting was to weld in the spacer and then the tip of the shaft you have 'sawed' off. The remaining groove gets filled by weld.

The welding involved is pretty basic - any extra gets addressed on the grinder so you are left with a smooth surface of the original diameter.

Hopefully you can find someone with a welder who can help with this - if you take all the bits to them the actual welding can be done in minutes.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Oh, I see, welding the spacer in and then welding on the piece that broke off- good idea. I do have a neighbor that has helped me with welding in the past.
Do you think it's ok to remove the whole mechanism with it partially up as shown in the picture above? Do I want to unbolt the top bracket bolted to the top of the roof, or leave it bolted to the roof and just remove the pin/rivet holding the leg to the bracket?
Thank you
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Take the pin out - if you take the bracket where it is bolted to the roof - then you've compromised the seal, and will need to reseal. Extra unnecessary steps.

It is ok to remove with it partially up, just put something under it to support it (ie a 2x4 or something). Mine had some super duty pneumatic assist struts that were for having a heavy box on the roof. So, when I took the bar assembly off - the roof still stayed up. But most tops don't have those struts.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Thanks very much, Kevin. Sorry for all the questions and my befuddlement.
I do have the extra Jack Bombay assist struts on the back end of the roof. And I am pushing up on the roof itself, not the bar.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

don't worry - I was super worried when I took mine apart, I didn't quite understand how it all worked, until I had it apart.

My struts were so over powering as I don't have a pod on my roof, it was near impossible to shut. So I don't think I needed to support mine, but when I replace those struts - with lower strength ones, I saw/felt the difference.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
...Do you think it's ok to remove the whole mechanism with it partially up as shown in the picture above?...

There's some tension left in the assembly shown in the pic -- but not a lot.

Just be careful and it should be no problem taking it out from there (with the top supported).
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Thanks
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
Take the pin out - if you take the bracket where it is bolted to the roof - then you've compromised the seal, and will need to reseal. Extra unnecessary steps.

What's the best way to remove those "clips" holding those pins in? They're on the outer side so close to the tent fabric to fit any type of tool in there to get at it, I don't want to rip a hole in the tent.
thanks
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

I don't know the best way - I think I used some plastic pry bar things - the type that are used to pull door panels off. But I may have used a set of needle nose pliers or flat head screwdriver...sorry that was more than 20 minutes ago, I can't be expected to remember that far back....

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
kguarnotta wrote:

What's the best way to remove those "clips" holding those pins in?...

Y'all talkin' 'bout these?

Never occurred to me to mess with the pin, I just undid the nuts and never disturbed the screws.

kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

That looks like it won't disturb the seal, but knowing my luck - (and the fact I'm normally working on things like this by myself) I would probably knock the bracket into the bolt when trying to re-install - thereby breaking the seal.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

I did the same thing, I removed the bracket from the roof by undoing the nuts. Of course, the screws got off, but I don't think it's a big deal, I'll just screw them back using the nuts and use a sealant to ensure they're leak proof - windshield sealant (silicone based) is very good for that.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I need all the help I can get. I get so frustrated attempting things when I don't know what I'm doing. Something unexpected always seems to go wrong and require another "fix."
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Unbolting the nuts worked for one side, the other side's just spin, loose up on the top outside. Will have to remember to waterproof that when I put it all back together.
Getting those little "washer/clips" off the pins was much easier than I thought it would be. Took a thin small screw driver and hammered it to slip behind the clip and leverage it off.
That top IS heavier than it looks or feels when all put together....
Thanks for all the suggestions. No doubt I'll be back...
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

It was tougher to disassemble than it should have been because the cross bar sheared inside the mechanism unevenly and wouldn't slide out through the holes without bending/breaking off the jagged pieces - not easy. A bitch, actually.

The driver side bar with the small piece sheared off next to it.

The end of the driver side bar that sheared clear off.

The pass side cut through but not completely like the other side.

I'm planning on getting steel bushings to have my neighbor weld inside the bar ends, weld the sheared off end back on, and weld thick steel washers onto the receiving pieces to widen the "knife edge" contacting portion where the bar gets grooved.
Reading through this thread has given me what I need to finally fix this. Muchisimas gracias to all its contributors.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Ryan - looks like you are running into exactly what I ran into.

I only asked one guy - but he couldn't weld it. I ended up getting a friend who is an electrician to bend some conduit it up for me.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: