Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'75 UK 1303 Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Time for another update.

Now the final major welding is complete, the project has moved into the cleaning / prepping phase.
As much as I hate all the unnecessary work making crappy pattern panels fit properly, I hate this part more!
But it is a marker that progress is being made on this project I guess Very Happy

Starting with the underside of the floorpan, which is conveniently inverted.
Horrible filthy job, cleaning all the old mud / dust / paint off
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The floorpan is in remarkably good condition, except the crossmember and a couple of local spots. I painted some cheap underbody coating on 30 years ago, and it has held up remarkably well. Was a pain to remove even after so long.

Finally all the paint and rust was removed, pan was treated with acid rust converter to get any final spots. Looking better already!

A couple of coats of chassis black and this part is done!

The Porsche rear arms have been cleaned up too and refitted, looking good! Cool

H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Oooo, Dodgy, tell me about your rear sway bar and mounts. 944?

H20SB
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Oooo, Dodgy, tell me about your rear sway bar and mounts. 944?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665668&start=57 Wink Laughing
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Heh, ok. My only defense is it's been a while 😏

H20SB
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:

H20SB

Haha! Slow progress is still progress remember! Wink
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
H2OSB wrote:

H20SB

Haha! Slow progress is still progress remember! Wink

100% agree. That said, my wife does not agree.

H20SB
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Yes, progress! Can't wait to get my rear sway bar installed, I stole some ideas from you, I have to fabricate the brackets (removable!) and I need to make it clear the tow hook support. Pics will follow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark 75 Super Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Amazing!! Very impressive. Your build gives me inspiration to continue.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Dodgy, how much rear wing width do you need to add for those Porsche trailing arms? I have the same set(I THINK. I'm pretty sure mine are the narrowest iteration of those alloy arms) and have considered using them for increased handling stability...theoretically. I have no idea if they'd make any improvement. Also, I'm hesitant because I have nice, OG wings, and I think the rear wheels would stick out pretty far. What rear wings win you use?

H20SB
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

I don't have the rear wings yet but I think +40mm each side will be enough. Anyway I hope so, because then the rears will match the fronts!

I believe all the trailing arm types are the same width, but the difference in overall rear track comes from either flat (early) or dished (late) 944 hubs. I'm using the flat type.

I have early alu trailing arms that have the bump stop feature, this was deleted on later arms.

Wheels are 6.5J x 17 ET 55.

The alu arms give no decrease in overall unsprung mass but make fitment of 944 brakes easier, plus have better adjustment for ride height / corner weight balance / toe & caster. The ARB could be made to fit the steel arms fairly easily I think.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

You have to switch to the vw pivot bushing, correct?

It's been a while since I looked at my arms, but I think i have the the first alu arms put on a 944, but not turbo...i think. I'll have to dig them out and check the p/n

H20SB
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Yes. Swapping the diagonal arm bush is easy. The outer steel shell can stay in place (seems identical between Porsche and VW) and the rubber inner part pushes in and out no problem. Later-style VW bushes need to be installed with the 'ears' aligned horizontally.

The trailing arm bushes need to be swapped too. These just push on and off. Lubricate with talc on reassembly.
bilbo939
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Hello,

Just wanted to say thank you!

A UK based 1302 owner here, dreading splitting my beetle to deal with many of the same issues and stuck with klokker-s%@# panels. Hopefully they've improved slightly since you did yours but I'm not holding out hope and keeping copious amounts of 1.2mm stock/wire/gas ready.

Mines got bad heater channels, every area of the front inner wing thats known to rust- has done so, the frame head rather crusty internally and completely screwed where it and nap hat ends meet. The cross panel is just starting to lose its lower corners. Oh and to top it all of, a PO had a brake fluid leak from the master, and just left it on the paint, so the black hole at the back of the boot is all coated in surface rust.

Just wanted to thank you for your detailed documentation of your process, makes me feel I won't be in uncharted territory completely alone.

Bill
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Hi Bill, glad this forum is useful!
We all learn from watching people that have gone before us.
For me, this build thread is partly about charting progress, partly about keeping motivated and partly about giving & receiving advice when needed.
Maybe you can start a thread of your own project? Always good to see another UK build here!
Good luck!
bilbo939
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:

Maybe you can start a thread of your own project? Always good to see another UK build here!

I will be sure too. Just got to prepare/clean the garage before I begin. Don't want the mess to be in the background of pictures. Wink have a feeling it'll begin spring next year.
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Long time since last post here, but slow progress continues to be made...

As posted on my other thread Porsche 944 Brake conversion on 1303 the floorpan is now finished top & bottom with pedal assembly, cables, rear suspension and spaghetti of brakes pipes initially fitted

So time to start the horrible job I have not been looking forward to, body cleaning and prep for paint.
The welding is all done, but there are a few areas that have minor surface rust, old paint & underseal and 40 years of muck that still need to be cleaned up.

My plan is to prep the underside of the body and inner wings, then I can remount onto the floorpan and do the rest of the work with everyhing back on ground level. If for no other reason than the car will be mobile again and there will be a bit more space in the garage!

So I started on the area above the gearbox and the perimeter of the engine bay. The areas under the engine bay side trays are really hard to access! But a little at a time it has all been cleaned and any remaining rust treated.

Here with initial primer coat and seam sealing (yes I did clean up the last area on the RH side of the crossmember!)

Here with a coat of underbody protection, not factory but better - I'm not building a show car here after all... This stuff is a barrel of fun to spray, like painting with porridge!

These repaired areas are always transformed as soon as they are one colour!
I'm really happy how it turned out, there is no sign of all the repair work that has been done.

Now for same all over again at the front end, funfunfun!
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

I can't believe it has been a year since my last post. Progress has been slow and there have been long periods of inactivity, but that is not the same as the project stalling entirely. At least that is what I tell myself...

Anyway, back in October I finished cleaning, prepping and undercoating the area under the front of the car:

I rebuilt the steering rack (see this thread Detailed rebuild guide for 1303 steering rack )

I made some new tie rods because the factory ones are about 40mm too short for the 944 front hubs. These are available to purchase but are basically 3/4" x 10SWG tubes with threaded ends, so the cheaper option is just to make some.

These are all preparations for getting the car back onto four wheels again.

So over the Easter weekend I had free time so I hit this project quite hard. I bought some colour so I can paint the undersides and areas behind the suspension that are not accessible with the body back on the chassis.
TAADAA - big reveal:

Colour is Audi Cumulus Blue, which I think is still a current colour. It's quite sublte and even though not metallic it shifts from blue to grey to white depending on lighting.
The original colour (Miami blue L51C) seems to be quite rare, I wanted to change it but at least keep the car blue to maintain some continuity, and have something a bit more contemporary.

I kind of enjoy painting, and much easier more satisfying with modern paints and a proper gun rather than rattle cans. But painting these awkward areas upside-down is not the best. At least it is done now, and the finish has come out really great.

So next step is to fit some shiny clean parts that are not accessible with the body on the floorpan. This is always a satisfying moment Smile

Definitely important to not forget the heater pipes at this stage! These have new foam gaskets, I couldn't find a torque figure for these so a tense moment judging how tight they need to be and hoping not to hear a crack!

The rack is accessible to fit with the body on, but much easier beforehand:

I went for the foam pan gasket, rather than the rubber type. This is correct for later models anyway, but is so much easier to fit. I had to do some fettling around the front crossmember / napolean hat, maybe because the kit is designed for a Standard model, not a Super? Anyway, in the end was all done.

After all that, well it would have been rude to not do the next step and drop the body back onto the pan!

Oh, and yes, this does fit: Cool

I have some tidying of the front struts to do before they can be reassembled back onto the car, then at least it is taking up a bit less room in the garage and can be moved around as I carry on with the next steps.

Perhaps painting the car in stages is a little unconventional, but I have done it before and it is a lot more manageable for a DIY project.

Hopefully this sudden surge will spur more progress to follow soon!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

It looks really good.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

So, I guess restoration projects are always one-step-forwards and one-step back.

I found a couple of issues when fitting the body-to-pan bolts, that caused real headaches. The body had to come off again...

First, I managed to get the accelerator pedal roller wedged between the body and pan. On RHD the accelerator pedal shaft is so long it is almost impossible to remove or fit with the body on, as it passes through the tunnel. So I had assembled the pedal cluster on the pan, but the roller had flopped forwards and I hadn't seen it. Only damage done was minor bruising to the body at the foam seal area, and the pedal roller was flattened and had to be replaced.

Second, one of the body bolts threads jammed and the rivnut started to turn in the heater channel. These channels are from different manufacturers due to time delays between fitting them. One side has welded-in captive nuts and the other has crimped-in rivnuts. MORAL - do not buy heater channels with crimped-in rivnuts! In the end I had to cut the bolt - luckily the bolt head passed through the hole in the floorpan perimeter OK so the body could be lifted for this. Then grind out the rivnut so a new one could be fitted. For additional security I added JB weld to the new rivnut. The hardes part was fishing out the old rivnut with end of the bolt from the heater channel, so it would not be constantly rattling around when the car is moving. Assuming the car does ever move, and this is not an endless project...

Body back on, all fixings (SS) tightened down. This is a satisfying sight...

Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 UK 1303 Build Thread Reply with quote

Just to show that previous recent progress was not just flash-in-the pan...

I've removed the fuel filler recess that was getting a bit frilly around the edges, which is hard to repair, and fitted a new panel. The holes in the pattern part are not quite the same as the original, but easy to modify before fitting.

I also removed the old rusty clamping strip for the bonnet(?) seal across the scuttle and fitted a new part. This was supplied straight, and took an age to gently curve to fit the panel, without affecting the profile shape.

Both these parts did not really provide enough edge material to weld, and the clamp strip is a bad rust spot anyway, last thing I want to do is allow a gap underneath and burn the paint away. So both parts were fitted with panel bond adhesive.

I found a rust hole in the airbox in a really awkward spot, the metal had perforated slightly. Access here is really awkward. I managed to remove a section of metal around the corrosion using dremel, mostly. Then made up a repair patch. There was no way I could get a welding torch in there, let alone see what I was doing, so this was fitted with panel bond adhesive too. Gotta use it up before the tube goes off!

All this is part of the effort to prep & paint the front luggage area, so I can fit the final brake lines and front struts and get the car standing on 4 wheels again, at long last!

Here is how things are right now. It was all going well until I ran out of paint, so another colour coat and clear to go still...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: