Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Redarc DC-DC charger + shore power
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Redarc DC-DC charger + shore power Reply with quote

I've got my system set up like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Am I completing a circuit between the two batteries through the Noco so that the loads intended for my auxiliary battery might be drawing from my start battery?

Assume everything is grounded correctly.

Thanks!
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Redarc DC-DC charger + shore power Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is how I install a dual output charger and REDARC WITH lithium

vehicle not running, relay at rest, both legs of AC charger are independent and the redarc can regulate the charge to the Lithium

vehicle running, relay energized, breaks connection from dual out put to redarc and connects to start battery.

If you have lead acid house battery, install the relay differently,
the relay switches the AC power to the start battery on/off and the start to redarc on off

LEG 1 fused directly to house batt

LEG 2 fused to 87 (at rest) connected to 30 battery
87A is powered to connect is wired to the Redarc.

so with engine off and AC plugged in each leg of charge is wired to each battery the redarc is only charging on solar now.

unplug AC, turn on vehicle , relay engaged, wiring to AC charger disconnects, start battery connects to redarc

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BHNYQYY
randalieren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Redarc DC-DC charger + shore power Reply with quote

Thanks, Puchfinnland.

I actually have that relay, but I was under the impression that I didn't need it because I had the Noco 'smart' charger (I am running a lithium house battery).

Two questions:

1) What does ICM stand for in your diagram?

2) Until I get a chance to wire in the relay, I'm thinking I can just unplug the line going into the Noco from the start battery unless I have a particular need to top that battery off. With that circuit broken, everything else should work fine, no?

Thanks again!
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Redarc DC-DC charger + shore power Reply with quote

It was to say IGN= ignition

yes, disconnect the feeder line to the start battery so not to freak out the redarc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: