Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace Rear CV boot?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

I've got an '86 Syncro with Subaru motor.

The CV boots and rear axles were replaced last oct 2019 with the GoWesty Heavy Duty 930 axle kit. This was done by the PO.

The inner boot on the left side has torn open. I've ordered replacements - and am wondering - will I need to take the whole left axle off to replace, or can I just remove inner boot/axle. And replace the boot with it in place?

I don't know if this will save any time - or be so hard to manage, that I should just take the whole left axle off?

As you can probably tell - I've not done this job before, just been reading about it a lot. I just got the replacement boots - and am looking to start the job.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

it needs to come off completely ,you will have to remove the joint to replace the boot, look at the others they may have rips , have a Bentley or Haynes manual ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

ok - yeah I've got the Bentley manual - I've checked the others - they looks fine. (The other 3 rear ones).

The front ones look a little degraded, these were not replaced by the PO.

I'll plan on having to take the whole thing off - thanks.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

In a pinch I bet you could leave the axle in place, but will entirely depend on
how much persuasion the joint needs to come off & get back on the axle...

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

Pull the axle. It's not that hard. Remove one joint and replace both boots.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

I did that ( or rather had some help getting all that done).

Inner boot driver side already split - I need to get boots again - and GoWesty is out of stock.
I'm trying to figure out alternative options - when I search for 930 axle CV boots, the boots don't look right. IE they just look like a boot - but not the metal flange that actually bolts in. I'm guessing there are a few options for this, and I'm not searching correctly.

Any guidance on what part number I should be looking for?

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

I have to ask. Is your van lifted, how much? Guess why the factory engineers did not lift them any higher?

At Carat height, 35 years ~400000 miles boots replaced once just because.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

Yes, My van is lifted. I'm not sure exactly how much - done by a previous owner. I think it is 1.5 or 2".

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

Wish someone had told me this when I redid my 930 CV's...

If you do remove/inspect the wheel side CV...

I rebuilt my GW 930 axles that were already installed by a PO as well, although I made a mistake as per GW instructions. From GW on their website:

"Only three circlips per axle are used to
constrain the CV joints. The transmission side
CV joint needs both an inner and an outer
circlip. The wheel side CV joint only receives a
retaining clip on the wheel side of the CV."

I installed 4 circlips/axle, still running fine today after 30k miles after replacement, but wish I had read the instructions first. Not sure what GW's intentions of leaving the wheel-inner circlip missing is (there IS a groove for it), guessing it is for the CV joint to slide on the axle during wheel articulation, although not sure this is a good thing.

Anyway, GW's instructions are on their website for 930's.

Best of luck sourcing the boots. I know their are plenty of other reputable dealers out there. I've used "kartek off road" for sourcing 930 axle parts, but have not checked their inventory as of this post.

Cheers!
Benjamin
-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

thanks - the issue I find - when I look for 930 CV boots - I see this - https://tinyurl.com/zaxndnta
https://tinyurl.com/hw3ncdc

Can I just clamp this boot to the metal flange? Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm obviously confused about this.

Another example - I thought I might try FCP Euro parts, as they claim toi warranty forever - so I might save a couple bucks each time I have to do this.
I see this - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-axle-boot-gkn-90133229312

It says it is for a 930 - but it looks very different than the gowesty one.

GoWesty sells it attached to the metal flange - so I figured that is how it is supposed to be.

Last edit - I'll call KarTek -looks like they might have a clue what I'm talking about...

As far as them cracking due to it being lifted - I think there are lots of folks seeing theirs split without there bus being lifted - see here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=745007&highlight=

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
thanks - the issue I find - when I look for 930 CV boots - I see this - https://tinyurl.com/zaxndnta
https://tinyurl.com/hw3ncdc

Can I just clamp this boot to the metal flange? Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm obviously confused about this.

Another example - I thought I might try FCP Euro parts, as they claim toi warranty forever - so I might save a couple bucks each time I have to do this.
I see this - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-axle-boot-gkn-90133229312

It says it is for a 930 - but it looks very different than the gowesty one.

GoWesty sells it attached to the metal flange - so I figured that is how it is supposed to be.

Last edit - I'll call KarTek -looks like they might have a clue what I'm talking about...

As far as them cracking due to it being lifted - I think there are lots of folks seeing theirs split without there bus being lifted - see here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=745007&highlight=

I think that you might be thinking backwards.
You've made GoWesty the 930 boot expert.
In reality, they seem to be the odd man out. A unique product that others don't seem to have.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

Not sure I understand you Dave.

Are the 930 axles something that GoWesty made, or just adapted to fit our Vans? Or did they just realize they were compatible?

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
Yes, My van is lifted. I'm not sure exactly how much - done by a previous owner. I think it is 1.5 or 2".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Discussion of CV joint problems are stalled until this number is included.
Every owner of a lifted van should know this number.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
Not sure I understand you Dave.

Are the 930 axles something that GoWesty made, or just adapted to fit our Vans? Or did they just realize they were compatible?

GoWesty 930 boots have the metal flange.
It seems like everyone else just has boots and you reuse the metal flange.

Dave.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

thanks dave, I was wondering why they pics from any other vendor looked different.

Theoretically I could get any boot - and attach to the existing flange. I just need a clamp to hold it in place.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
thanks dave, I was wondering why they pics from any other vendor looked different.

Theoretically I could get any boot - and attach to the existing flange. I just need a clamp to hold it in place.

I've no clue if GoWesty's metal bit will fit on the readily available clamp on boots.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

just an update...

I've taken the rear axles out - and it looks like one of the CV joints was not greased properly by my mechanic - or is somehow lost all it's grease. It it not looking good - and I don't think I should reuse it. I've cleaned the other three and they look and feel ok.

So I've got to get one new CV joint and boot - then repack with grease, and reinstall.

I'm trying to figure out alternatives for boots and grease as gowesty is sold old out. I spoke with KArtek - they seemed pretty knowledgeable - so after taking it all apart on Friday - I'm going to call them on Monday and get my order in.

Go Westy - suggests 2 tubs of 14 oz each should be enough to pack all the joints, and have some leftover. But on another page - they say you should only need one 14 ounce container? Any ideas on quantity of lube needed? I figure I'll pack them - but would be helpful to have some guidance as to amount I should probably use.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
just an update...

I've taken the rear axles out - and it looks like one of the CV joints was not greased properly by my mechanic - or is somehow lost all it's grease. It it not looking good - and I don't think I should reuse it. I've cleaned the other three and they look and feel ok.

So I've got to get one new CV joint and boot - then repack with grease, and reinstall.

I'm trying to figure out alternatives for boots and grease as gowesty is sold old out. I spoke with KArtek - they seemed pretty knowledgeable - so after taking it all apart on Friday - I'm going to call them on Monday and get my order in.

Go Westy - suggests 2 tubs of 14 oz each should be enough to pack all the joints, and have some leftover. But on another page - they say you should only need one 14 ounce container? Any ideas on quantity of lube needed? I figure I'll pack them - but would be helpful to have some guidance as to amount I should probably use.

Most of the time you get two tubes of grease with the cv's when order new ones. I use it all.
Be sure that you torque the cv bolts properly and then recheck them in a hundred miles.

Check Burley Motor sports for the boots. He may have them. He does.
https://burleymotorsports.net/product/930-cv-boot-kit-flange-boot-and-clamp/

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

ok - I ended up getting a one new CV joint from KArtek - one original one was pretty bad. The other 3 seemed ok. I also got a new boot from Kartek. For future reference - this is what I got -

EMPI Porsche 930 Steel Single Axle Boot Flange For 86-9301 CV Axle Boots 3/8" Flange Lip
EMPI 86-9320 Porsche 930 Small Rubber CV Axle Boot For KTK8693020 Or KTK930SDBF Double Boot Flanges
Kartek Off-Road Polished Porsche 930 CV Joint For 28 Spline Axles With 300m Cage
Porsche 930 External Spirolox Retaining Ring For 28 Spline CV Joint Axles 1-1/8" Inside Diameter
Ideal 63mm To 85mm Diameter Narrow CV Joint Axle Boot Or Hose Clamps 5/16" Wide SAE Size 44

With these I was able to make up my own boot. The CV joint they sell is super smooth compared to the ones already on there. Supposedly Kartek polishes the CV joint. Is it worth the extra bucks? I'm not sure. I also don't know what these Gowesty CV joints felt like when new.

I see where Gowesty says to only use 3 of those spring clips, but that makes no sense to me - I used 4.

I reinstalled the driver side axle - no problems.
I got to passenger side, and I can bolt up at the wheel, but can't seem to get the axle around the flange it is to blot to at the transmission side. Somehow it came out - so it must be able to go back in...I think if I remove the rear locker, I may have enough clearance, but anyone have any suggestions, because it doesn't make sense that I should have to do that. I currently have passenger side up in the air, I wonder if that is shortening the distance to cause the interference? I'll try to lower it to the ground and see what happens...just thinking out loud here as I type...

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Rear CV boot? Reply with quote

oh yeah - I also meant to ask - why isn't there a split boot option for these CV joints? I know on my '65 they sell a split boot - I know that is a very different mechanical thing, but I don't understand why that idea could not transfer to these CV joints?

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: