Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bench starting and high oil pressure
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Bench starting and high oil pressure Reply with quote

I have a 1776 engine that I built close to 20 years ago and I'm trying to start it back up. It used to run fine for the little bit it was used back in the day that I recall. However, I was trying to start it outside of the car and my oil pressure gauge (VDO electric) went full scale when cranking it over to circulate oil. It has a Gene Berg 26mm oil pump full flow with an external filter (K&N for now). Oil is getting through the filter and to the oil cooler (verified by checking filter and removing pressure sender on cooler). However after a few minutes of cranking, my oil pressure gauge just pegs at the high side of the scale (what would be well over 100 psi). So I'm thinking maybe a blockage somewhere? I do recall cleaning out the oil cooler to ensure it wasn't blocked, however it was never pressure tested. And I'm pretty sure the oil cooler seals shouldn't be blocking things. Before I start taking things back apart, is there anything else I should check? I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything to check. The long block hasn't been apart since it was originally built. And this is running SAE 30 weight oil and outside temp is upper 80's.[/s]
2018 VW Atlas SE VR6 4Motion
2019 VW Beetle S Final Edition Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bench starting and high oil pressure Reply with quote

oil relief piston might be stuck, too tight etc. Think the long one is at the flywheel side, that would cause the pressure too high.

But good catch before starting.... that would blow out the oil cooler.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bench starting and high oil pressure Reply with quote

Totally forgot about the rear pressure relief piston. Will give that a check before diving into cooler removal. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bench starting and high oil pressure Reply with quote

Welcome,
2 pressure pistons on a dual relief case, I would check both since its been sitting so long.
Also make Sure the sender is compatible with the gauge.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bench starting and high oil pressure Reply with quote

So just an update. My problem ended up being self-inflicted. Lol. My pressure sender had two outputs, and I just had selected the wrong one. The side I was using was apparently for a pressure light. Neither side appeared to be labeled though. After that, it turned out my electronic points must have gotten fried at some point. So I had to switch back to regular points to even get spark. Now my issue is the fuel pump. Doesn't appear to be pushing gas, so maybe it needs a rebuild (it is 20+ yrs old) or a different rod. Always something with this cars. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: