Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restrictive Syncro intake debris separator
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Restrictive Syncro intake debris separator Reply with quote

Syncros come with an interesting inline intake debris separator (part 025 128 695) that I always thought was a nifty piece of kit.
When I was building up my 2wd, I installed the debris separator from my Syncro wreck in place of the normal straight 2wd intake tube upstream of the AMM.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The upstream end of the separator has four fins that impart a rotation on the inflow that presumably throws any solids in the intake flow to the outside wall.

Inside the downstream end is an inverted cone, with a 40mm diameter opening in the middle, which forces solid debris to the outside, where it falls down into the clear collector underneath, while allowing clean air flow through the center to the AMM.

And it does work, there was sand and a bit of Husky glitter in the bottom of the clear collector when I opened it up.

I was looking closely at it and wondered much flow area do you give up with that 40mm inverted cone opening vs the ~60mm diameter of the other end.

A quick measurement and calculation showed that the cone restricts more than half of the area vs the upstream end! (20**2/30**2 = 0.4444)

Maybe there are more restrictive areas downstream... Sure enough, the diameter of the throttle body and plenum are smaller at ~48mm. But the open end of the cone is still 30% smaller than those passages (1- 20**2/24**2= 30.05 ). Maybe there are other restrictions, but those are the two I could easily find.

The Syncro debris separator is cool, but I don't want to give away 30% of my intake flow to use it, so I ran a long thin screwdriver between the upstream end fins, though the body of the debris separator, and detached the restrictive inverted code from the separator body (below).

I plan to run it this way for awhile and see if it still collects debris.

If it doesn't, I'll put the cone back in, but bore out the opening to 48mm to match the throttle body and see if this works.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Restrictive Syncro intake debris separator Reply with quote

I wonder if there are any EJ25s running that separator.
If an EJ25 with 20% bigger lungs and 25% more RPMS (1.2 x 1.25 = 1.50) can breathe thru that you will at leadt know if a 2.1L might be able to.

What is the direction of flow through the cone?
Does the cone draw from the cleaner air at the center? ( of the centrifuge ?)
Thus rejecting the particle laden air at the outside?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Restrictive Syncro intake debris separator Reply with quote

Flow is from right to left in the top and bottom pics.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Restrictive Syncro intake debris separator Reply with quote

<—— FLOW

The cone accepts clean air from the inside to pass thru and the heavier dirt-laden air on the outside of the centrifugal whirl is rejected.
Solids thrown outward then fall down into the clear dirt sump.

These are also used in agricultural eqpt that are engulfed in heavy 3mph dust clouds all day long.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Restrictive Syncro intake debris separator Reply with quote

the separator needs the restriction to increase air velocity whilst giving it a spin in order to induce debris separation. otherwise, there is no cause to have the debris separate other than gravity and catching in the eddys of the intake tract.

i'll suspect you'll notice zero power effect with the restriction in or out but give us the seat-of-the-pants dyno report when complete! cool little device.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: