Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grinding first gear
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hale6968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding first gear Reply with quote

I had the same thing. Tightening the clutch cable which is behind the left rear wheel fixed it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding first gear Reply with quote

hale6968 wrote:
I had the same thing. Tightening the clutch cable which is behind the left rear wheel fixed it.

Actually it is on the inward side of the left rear wheel, just forward of the front of the engine.

Checking clutch pedal for proper adjustment is a must before it goes so badly out of adjustment. Too loose and you are wearing the syncros much more by making them work harder, even if there is no audible grinding sound. Best to check clutch pedal for proper amount of play at each 3,000 mile engine tune up, and adjust as needed.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding first gear Reply with quote

#3 is the clutch cable...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

grosbeak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding first gear Reply with quote

Clutch cable was the fix. About four quarter turns and we're in the sweet spot. Thanks again!

grosbeak wrote:
Thanks for the helpful thread. We bought our '68 convertible in May and have started to experience the same first gear grinding issue. I got it up in the air last week and check the transaxle fluid level. It was almost two quarts down, which is pretty scary. Topping it up didn't solve the problem (though it does run smoother); I tried adjusting the shift lever (http://www.vw-resource.com/plateadj.html) - no joy.
Checking the clutch cable adjustment is next on the list.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding first gear Reply with quote

Good to hear it was an easy fix! Thanks for keeping us all updated.
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding first gear Reply with quote

Interesting my thread got resurrected!

This grinding issue still plagued me until now. I just go used to always shifting into 3rd then 1st at a light. I have been saving up for a rebuild.

But I watched a video or two on adjusting the clutch and I realized my criteria for correct pedal tension was not right...I didn't have it quite adjusted right.

So I tightened it a little more this weekend and double checked the fluid level. That seems to have resolved the problem...it hasn't done it since then. Hopefully that means I can skip a rebuild for now.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding first gear Reply with quote

lojoma wrote:

So I tightened it a little more this weekend and double checked the fluid level. That seems to have resolved the problem...it hasn't done it since then. Hopefully that means I can skip a rebuild for now.

Great to hear!! Thanks for the update!
Wily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding first gear Reply with quote

just puch the clutch 2 times Smile
so puch - release - puch and shift

i will bet it helps
lojoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding first gear Reply with quote

Wily wrote:
just puch the clutch 2 times Smile
so puch - release - puch and shift

i will bet it helps

I'll try that!
mnkytail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

TIP:... Placing the transmission in 2nd or 3rd BEFORE 1st or Reverse stops the input shaft and allows smooth 1st and/or reverse gear selection.

This right here is what I do on my 66. There are times when at a stand still it doesn't want to go into gear with out some pushing on the shifter. If I just shift it down into 2nd and right up into first it goes into gear with no problem. Also, for me if I clutch and shift to first too quickly it'll grind a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnkytail wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

TIP:... Placing the transmission in 2nd or 3rd BEFORE 1st or Reverse stops the input shaft and allows smooth 1st and/or reverse gear selection.

If I just shift it down into 2nd and right up into first it goes into gear with no problem.

You have a problem that your procedure is covering up. It means your input shaft is turning when it should not be. By pulling it into 2nd, its synchro stops the input shaft from turning. Then it will go into 1st without grinding.
Every Beetle made should shift effortlessly into 1st gear while stationary and the engine running. Even early cars that have no synchro on 1st gear!
Find out what is causing the input shaft to turn. Dragging clutch, pilot bearing needs lubing, etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: