Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine decisions for 60 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I’m trying to figure out what to do (always ) .

The holes for the air tubes going into the heater boxes ,on the breast plate don’t line up on the drivers side. I’ve tried two different mufflers. Both are the same. Maybe I have the wrong heater boxes ? As you can see in the pictures it needs to move a lot. At first I thought it might be the breast plate but all seem the same.
On a side note . NOTHING FITS EASY on these bloody things. Aftermarket crap or mismatched parts or ?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

The first pic is the right side which lines up fine
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

The last pic is for an extre hole in the breast plate I need to cover
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I did manage to get tar paper installed in engine compartment.

Did I mention how I really dislike the tins ?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

As you've discovered to your frustration, the left heat "pod" lines up at the bottom where it points to the heater box, but the top inlet is way off. Suggestion: Position the pod slightly to the rear so that it lines up with the breast plate hole. Then use an approx. 4" long section of aluminum fresh air hose for the lower connection to the heater box. You'll need to remove the dang muffler -again- to slip that hose onto the heater box, then work the other end up to the bottom of the pod once the muffler is in place. The hose easily bends to accomodate the slight bend of the pod bottom.

For this large hole- I've made a good cover by cutting a piece of scrap sheetmetal (ca. 22 gauge) so that it overlaps the hole by about 1/4" to 1/2". Cut it so that you also have an extension to that one tin screw hole near the oil breather pipe, and drill a hole in the cover for that tin hole. Paint the cover with gloss black heat paint (it's right above the hot muffler) and fasten it with a tin screw and a larger washer.

Don't forget to trim the rear curve of the breast plate so that you can fit it onto the engine with your '60's H apron' per my last response.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I just ordered another tin with just the two holes. I figured I needed another anyway in case I messed up one when trimmining 😀

There sure doesn’t seem like much left on the edge to trim. I’ve searched high and low for a picture of a trimmed one to no avail . When I put it next to the rear apron the curvature is different also 🤷‍♂️
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thank you Rome for the suggestion of the tubing to connect the heater box.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Can the breast plate be installed after the body is on ?
H&HRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

This is the breastplate from a SP that I installed in my 60'. It was still a real pain in the ass to put in. On the DP I just put in with all new tins I trimmed the breastplate a bit more.
I would leave it off till you put the body on. When installing put some painters tape on the cylinder tins to protect them and I also taped the upper seal up to assist with getting the breastplate between the two seal lips.
For installing the 1600s with the body already mounted I found it a lot easier to install with the generator/ alternator, the pulley and the tin behind the pulley removed. Just gives you that little extra room in the small engine compartment.[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Took suggestions and put heater hose between heater box and connector box to compensate foe offset
Connector box ( not sure correct name ) will line up now for hose.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Where does this port ( nipple with tape ) connect to ?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
Took suggestions and put heater hose between heater box and connector box to compensate foe offset
Connector box ( not sure correct name ) will line up now for hose.

Glad the hose worked out!

Looking at this muffler "pod", the upper left section has a big open gap from the pod to the exhaust pipe. This can let the cool air being blown in by the fan shroud partially escape. Since you now have the exact position of the pod determined, you could tap down that edge of the pod with a blunt chisel or punch so that the gap is reduced.

Also appears as though you don't have the asbestos or woven metal seal ring between the muffler and the heater box at the clamp junction. This can lead to exhaust leaks- backfiring upon deceleration. Also recommend to apply anti-seize grease to the M6 bolt threads on the clamps, so that the nuts come off easily in the future.
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips

Today I went to check the timing and the starter decided it wouldn’t engage. It would just spin.
I ordered a new one from advance.

Then I decided to remove the old heater cables. What a nightmare. I wish I had done this pre engine installation. I broke the piece that holds the threaded rod. ( or it was already broke because I couldn’t find the piece that broke off )
Then I managed to get the driver side out but not the passenger side without breaking inside the tube. F&@$@#K.
Here’s the issue -
The cable with its larger end never would move either way. The cable snapped somewhere between 3 inches from the rear and 6 inches. There is a piece left in there that I wasould say is about 3 inches or less long. I’ve tried everything short of cutting open tube . It won’t budge.
I’m contemplating cutting the tube at the shift rod access or just saying the hell with the heat.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

SUCCESS !!!!
Heater cable tubes cleared !
It took me the better part of two days to clear the tubes with brute force. I used a combination of steel welding rod ( driven in with hammer ) and old emergency brake cable spun with a drill.
Now I need to find another one of theses pieces that hold the screw mechanism . ( or weld this one up )
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Well I spoke to soon on the heater cables. I can now get the new one to within 3 or 4 inches of the end but no further. I’ll try again tomorrow. I spent another half day to get it to this point.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I did manage to accomplish one thing on the bug today. I put a new starter on . It came from advance auto and is noticeably smaller than the original. I hope it works ok.

Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

No— it ain’t German !!! (Starter )
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

I finally got the new heater cable through.
Part of the problem on one side was a 2 foot long piece that had broken off in the tube.
Now I need another one of these.( aluminum piece that screw mechanism attaches to for cable adjustment ) I see a couple sellers overseas that have them but ?
Anyone have an extra they could spare ?

Also—— got all the body to pan seal glued in place

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Kthomas wrote:
Now I need another one of these.( aluminum piece that screw mechanism attaches to for cable adjustment ) I see a couple sellers overseas that have them but ?

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111711000

Little picture tip for you: when your subject is somewhat small and close to the camera, place something large close behind it so the camera will focus on the subject instead of the distant background. A sheet of paper, a wall, the side of your car, etc all work well for this, or you can place it on the ground and snap the picture. Wink
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine decisions for 60 beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the link

I guess you’d rather not see my grimy hand ? 🙈🤪
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: