Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off-year Parts' Effect on Price?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schoenbrau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Off-year Parts' Effect on Price? Reply with quote

Looked at a 71 standard beetle today and I'm unsure of how to price it, here's why.

- Convertible, some holes in the top, top won't reach the windshield and close. Likely need a new top in a year or two.

- Chassis numbers under back seat and trunk show a 71 Super Beetle but the trunk is a standard Beetle trunk (upright spare tire).

- Rear fenders and taillights are from a 73-74, elephant's feet lights.

- front and rear bumpers are from a 73-74.

- Heat channels are blocked off by metal plating, no hose connects the channels to the engine Bay.

- body appears in good condition, normal scratches considering paint was 9 years ago.

- engine rebuilt by MoFoCo, has 400 miles on it.

So what I see is a car that appears to be in good mechanical and structural shape but has dont very odd characteristics with the blocked heat and parts from different years and a super beetle VIN and a Standard Beetle trunk. I am unsure how the mishmash of parts affects the value long term and if the blocked heat could be because of problems in the heating channel. Any help and insight is much appreciated, thank you for reading.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Off-year Parts' Effect on Price? Reply with quote

A little confusing, are you looking to buy or sell or what samba thinks it is worth?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Off-year Parts' Effect on Price? Reply with quote

What are the first 4 digits of the chassis number?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Off-year Parts' Effect on Price? Reply with quote

Sounds like a frankenbug.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Schoenbrau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Off-year Parts' Effect on Price? Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
What are the first 4 digits of the chassis number?

Hi Jan, 1512
Schoenbrau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Off-year Parts' Effect on Price? Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:
A little confusing, are you looking to buy or sell or what samba thinks it is worth?

Looking to buy my first beetle and found this one locally. I'm not very familiar with how being a Frankenbeetle affects its value. Also, someone told me to run away because putting a Standard trunk on a Super body would require "cutting the whole dash in half and welding" which could be a safety and longevity concern.

I'm not sure if that's accurate or not so I'm having difficulty knowing what a good price should be or if I should avoid it at any price
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Off-year Parts' Effect on Price? Reply with quote

Have any pics?
Schoenbrau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Off-year Parts' Effect on Price? Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Have any pics?

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-NqrMFIJ2RxhWcXSGTTI6zx8XkeS7Kx8

Sure!

If it asks you, click "Request Access" and I'll approve it. Thank you.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Off-year Parts' Effect on Price? Reply with quote

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to back grade a Super Beetle into a Standard. That's a big step into the dark ages in terms of ride and road handling. I can't see how it could be done short of cutting two cars in half and welding them back together. Unless it is a Standard Beetle body with just the rear 1/2 of a Super floor pan and a set of Super rear fenders. That would put an IRS rear on a Standard swing axle car.

At any rate if the work is quality then is would make a driver but will never be worth what either of the 2 cars it came from would be.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-year Parts' Effect on Price? Reply with quote

The car has definitely been spliced just in back of the napoleon hat. The dash is also from a Standard beetle. I am guessing it was cut and welded at the door frame somewhere. The bows in the convertible frame look like they are broken which would explain why they top doesn't line up properly. There also appears to be rot and stress on the frame rails. Basically a cobbled mess.
Schoenbrau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Off-year Parts' Effect on Price? Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
The car has definitely been spliced just in back of the napoleon hat. The dash is also from a Standard beetle. I am guessing it was cut and welded at the door frame somewhere. The bows in the convertible frame look like they are broken which would explain why they top doesn't line up properly. There also appears to be rot and stress on the frame rails. Basically a cobbled mess.

Thanks very much, I'll definitely stay away from this one Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: