Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grille mounting tabs question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
renorick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Grille mounting tabs question Reply with quote

Yesterday I started a project to backdate my 1987 Vanagon syncro square lights to round the 1986 round lights. I will be installing DOT approved 7 inch led headlights as I need get better lighting for my 70 year old eyeballs. I installed new light relays, used touch up paint on scratches to prevent rust, painted my new round headlight grill flat black and started to install my new Gowesty headlight buckets. As I was going about my bucket install I noticed that my van was missing grill mounting tabs (on the van body) that sit between the center tab and end of headlight bucket. These tabs are part of the square headlight bucket but not on the new round buckets. As I don't believe 3 mounting points for the grill is a very secure solution I am reaching out for ideas. My first thought was to make some mounting tabs I can rivet to the body. Questions: Are these mounting tabs available any where? Any ideas on cutting square holes for the mounting tab clips? Anybody running only three mounting points on their grill and if so what has been your experience? Thanks for any help.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Grille mounting tabs question Reply with quote

i converted from square to round and decided it was good enough given the number of others out there running the round grills with just the top 3 tabs.

been in high winds and heavy rains, grill is still there.

BiWerks Design, LLC
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Grille mounting tabs question Reply with quote

I did the same conversion. Mine held fine for many, many years through heavy Vermont storms.
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Grille mounting tabs question Reply with quote

I did the same conversion but grille screws and receptacles are a little old and worn, so I do have a couple of strategically placed zip ties holding it on. It's not ideal aesthetically, but the grille is securely on there.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Grille mounting tabs question Reply with quote

My lower grill is held on with 4 zip ties. I didn't even trim them, the van has whiskers now.

Zip ties are a great way to hold an old vehicle together. Laughing
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Grille mounting tabs question Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Zip ties are a great way to hold an old vehicle together. Laughing

I caution anybody who wants to look closely at my van, "it's all zip ties and duct tape." Very Happy

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Grille mounting tabs question Reply with quote

I just made that change. You can easily make two more mounting tabs or if available to you, find an old van and get the tabs off it. (I just copied them from a friends van) Its very easy, but you will have to drill new holes to accept the tabs.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Grille mounting tabs question Reply with quote

Timely post
Im actually adding the lower grill to my 82 and cant figure out how they would have attached
The Rectangular mounting openings on the grill have me puzzled
Rear discs

Last edited by space on Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Grille mounting tabs question Reply with quote

space wrote:
Timely post
Im actually adding the lower grill to my 82 and figure out how the would have attached
The Rectangular mounting openings on the grill have me puzzled

You need a set of these:

https://www.vancafe.com/HWK80501-p/hwk80501.htm

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Grille mounting tabs question Reply with quote

Thank you Joe T!
Very Happy
Rear discs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: