Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

With the engine is in as in the first pictures. Take a wrench and turn the crankshaft, then jiggle the engine, turn the wrench - jiggle, push in engine, turn the wrench - jiggle, push....on and on, till everything becomes aligned.

Be certain the engine is in line with the transmission input shaft, from front to rear. It needs to be in the same plane! Or you will be fighting the input shaft.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

As above. The engine is not in the same plane as the gearbox.

Loosen gearbox mounts and use a jack(s) to move box/engine so that motor starts to slide in at the exact plane that the transmission is.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

I haven't put and engine in a later trans with the throwout bearing sleeve in awhile, so I could be wrong but does something look funny there? That black collar? I want to say from memory that the sleeve the throwout bearing rode on was just a thin metal tube..
vs-works
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
While I agree you need to have the input shaft lined up, maybe check the length of stud protruding through the nuts on the rear mounts. I had a rhino mount tighten an abnormal amount of thread of the mount through the nut into the bell housing and the flywheel was actually hitting it. Maybe brush paint the forward face of the flywheel, and it will transfer the paint to the studs if they are hitting.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I cut down the screw that were long. I realigned the pressure plate and clutch. Both pictured below.

We tried to push the trans in...still get stuck. Put the top in the bottoms comes out, put the bottom in the top comes out. What could be holding it back?

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I haven't put and engine in a later trans with the throwout bearing sleeve in awhile, so I could be wrong but does something look funny there? That black collar? I want to say from memory that the sleeve the throwout bearing rode on was just a thin metal tube..

Go back to the simple stuff. Measure the OD of the collar then see what the ID of the pressure plate is. If it is too close, it might be your problem. Also if your engine has been hanging on the pressure plate you may have got one of the fingers out of shape.

It might be an optical illusion but the input shaft does not appear to be completely central in the collar. If there is too much deviation, the collar will catch on the pressure plate fingers. There is always a bit of play on the input shaft. See if you can turn the input shaft to a position where it is more central.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

I am not suggesting you do this....

I am questioning those in the know. While a youngster many years ago, under the influence of older more knowledgeable than I was told to "take the tip off the input shaft, its too long".

I know I did it at least once 30yrs ago, was that on a bus trans install, maybe?
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

vs-works wrote:
I am trying to install a standard 1600 engine into standard 1974 tranny. But it will not fully go into the bell housing of the tranny.

New trans mounts? Are the bolts too long? They sometimes extend a little farther than the nut but most are close to flush.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Maybe take another look at the gland nut. I once had one machined incorrectly that had the pilot bearing flush with the end of the nut face. This allowed the engine/clutch to go on the input shaft, but the spline portion of the input shaft would bottom out in the bearing before the engine would touch the trans.

You could also see if you can get an actual input shaft to use as an alignment tool. I used the plastic alignment tools for a long time until I started working on transaxles and got an input shaft damaged at the other end to use as an alignment tool. I was amazed how much easier the engine went in with the actual steel input shaft.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Have you put the transmission in gear? Any gear, to keep the input shaft from turning while trying to line up the splines.
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

I've had an issue with a friction disc, where the splines where badly machined and wouldn't go on the splines on the input shaft. Had to sand a small amount in every groove until it would fit.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

OP's probably out working on it, but...

While it is a PITA at this point, the gland nut and clutch disc can be fitted over the input shaft (as applicable) to test fit and test all these theories. The flywheel can be removed and hand-placed into the bell housing space (though unless done squarely and evenly, I'm not sure just how helpful this could be).
Jim Schield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Did you loosen the wing nut on the transmission clutch arm? I mean loosen it considerably. Otherwise you are fighting the spring and will never be able to push on the engine all the way to the transmission.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

anthax wrote:
I've had an issue with a friction disc, where the splines where badly machined and wouldn't go on the splines on the input shaft. Had to sand a small amount in every groove until it would fit.

^^^ this!

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Jim Schield wrote:
Did you loosen the wing nut on the transmission clutch arm? I mean loosen it considerably. Otherwise you are fighting the spring and will never be able to push on the engine all the way to the transmission.

Good suggestion, as was the suggestion that the mount bolts might be too long.

I ALWAYS loosen the clutch cable adjustment before installing ANY engine !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

Jim Schield wrote:
Did you loosen the wing nut on the transmission clutch arm? Otherwise you are fighting the spring...

No need for that if the motor was originally in this car. If not fitting a new clutch cable, there shouldn't be any contact between the throw-out bearing and the release fingers with the motor bolted in place. You shouldn't fighting the return spring unless the cable adjustment was altered before the engine install.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Marinablau703
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
While I agree you need to have the input shaft lined up, maybe check the length of stud protruding through the nuts on the rear mounts. I had a rhino mount tighten an abnormal amount of thread of the mount through the nut into the bell housing and the flywheel was actually hitting it. Maybe brush paint the forward face of the flywheel, and it will transfer the paint to the studs if they are hitting.

This is the EXACT reason I battled for a day to get my engine installed; the engine mount studs were too long. Quick work with a cut-off wheel solved that! The OP's studs do look to be sticking out a tad much.

I also had to back the wing nut all the way off (realizing the return spring was non-existent, which then led to a new cable). I installed a new clutch and PP, which was much thicker than the old potato-chip clutch friction disk.

I removed the PP and clutch from the engine to test fit over the trans shaft, just to be doubly sure that it mated correctly. I cleaned up the ends of the splines with a file.

With the engine in as far as it'll go, try rotating the engine back and forth a little to ensure the shaft and clutch align, and also to feel if the flywheel is contacting anything.
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

I had this same problem, the lower mount studs were too long and I ground them down, but also the longer studs that come out of the engine block on the bottom were ever so slightly bent upwards, possibly from shifting during shipment. I replaced those with true and straight studs and I got my engine in. It was still difficult but it went.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759868&highlight=
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 Engine will not fit in Standard Tranny Reply with quote

vs-works wrote:
We tried to push the trans in...still get stuck. Put the top in the bottoms comes out, put the bottom in the top comes out. What could be holding it back?

What exactly do you mean here?

When installing the engine onto the transmission, there are are only three things you are trying to line up....
    Transmission input shaft into the gland nut opening.
    Two lower engine studs into the lower holes in the bell housing.

Once the engine is lifted and parallel with the transmission these three things should be horizontal and with a little wiggling will allow the engine and transmission to mate flush.

The upper two engine/transmission bolts are installed AFTER you get the engine mated flush to the transmission. Your above descriptions and pics suggest you are trying to mount both the upper and lower transmission-to-engine attachment points at the same time. It is hard enough to get three things to line up at the same time, don't make it hard on yourself trying to get all 5 to line up.

Also, it looks like you accelerator cable sleeve is permanently epoxied to the top of the bell housing?? Is this a 6th thing you need to line up to bring the engine and transmission together??? Pull the accelerator tube out from the rear face of the fan shroud and only when the engine is fully mounted, slide it back so it mates with the opening in the mounted cable sleeve over the transmission. Normally, the stock sleeve is installed after the engine is mounted as it is not permanently afixed to the transmission.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: