Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwbug14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my fridge. Just bought it and trying to install.

Is this only DC power?

I installed a converter, 110v to 12v DV to the outlets behind passenger seat.

Don’t think it’s working.

Can I supply 110v to it?
What is the symbol to the far right of the wiring diagram?

Please help
Mike

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbug14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

So I learned something new. The fridge will work on 12v from the battery while in the 12v position. The heater core has 4 wires going into it, 2-12v wires from the switch and 2-110v wires from the switch. The converter is gone and the wires are spliced for the 110v wires. I installed a converter from a 78 westy so the outlet is is 12v.

Can one side of the coil be dead from PO plugging it directly into 110v?

Can I replace it? Or should I just splice the two heater core wires? Can they be wired backwards?

Thanks
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

The way I read that diagram the device on the right is a transformer, the square in the top middle is the selector switch, and the rectangle in the bottom middle is the thermostat. As I recall the 12v side had no thermostat action, temp was only regulated on 110v. Since the lable says it's only 12v the 110v was disabled by Dometic before shipment to Westfalia, likely to comply with the rules for camper equipment in a particular delivery location. I don't see a CSA symbol but I do see a UL one so USA market perhaps?

Test both heater elements with an Ohm meter, sometimes the way the selector switch was wired also disabled one of the voltage options.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vwbug14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

So at first I thought that was a transformer or converter symbol on the far right but no I wonder if that is the heater core element. Why would DC go though a converter?

Previous owner said he hooked it up to 110 in garage. I don’t want to kill it or start a fire Shocked

What would I expect forms ohms if I measure them?
Mike
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

Woops, yep, you are correct, supply comes from the left side of the picture.
The thermostat still only controls the 110v side.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
vwbug14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

If you look at the pic the heater core wires are different size?? Could this be a 110 or 12v fridge?

The label appears to have 60 hz too????

Will I damage the fridge if I try 110v

Mike
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

vwbug14 wrote:
Will I damage the fridge if I try 110v

Yes, if you do it wrong.
It likely has a 12v element and a 110v element, you may have to pull them out and read the numbers on them to figure out which one is which if the wiring has been Mickey moused in the past. Or try connecting 12v to the ends of the wires and seeing which one gets really hot, that would be the 12v one, the 110v one may get a little warm, bot not as much or as quickly as the 12v one.
The lable says 60 Hz because it is a two voltage fridge, but to make it legal in a Westfalia the AC side was never connected and the lable altered to comply with regulations. Some lables have the AC info rubbed off, yours looks like it was printed that way to begin with, but they missed the Hz part.

Camper wiring changed almost monthly in 74, some have an AC plug in the back of the RH front seat pedestal for the fridge, other run solely on DC power, and Canadian models are different still. Seems the rule makers couldn't quite all get on the same page.

Слава Україні!
vwbug14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

Okay, I removed the converter and went direct to 110v.

It’s heating up and cooling inside. Smile

No smoke or fire yet. Laughing

Looks like it can run on both 12v and 110v.

Time to do some rewiring, undo what I did and go direct to outlet behind pass seat.

Thanks.

Mike
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

Cool Cool! Cool see what I did there?

Слава Україні!
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

Thanks guys. My 76 only works on 110v & only when hooked to outside power.. now I know more. Bill hi
ol'westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

Hello VWBUG14,
I have a similar fridge in my 74 westy. Mine has the 110/12v converter, but it also has 2 of the 4 the white cloth wrapped wires from the DC/AC switch to the heater element cut and joined to the other two wires with tap splices. Does yours have the same "modification", i.e. 4 wires go to 2?

I'd like to get my 110 side working again. but am afraid I might burn out the element by trying. Shocked
schmidder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

Hey Guys, jumping in here on this topic, as I just got a 74 Campmobile Westy.

Looking behind the fridge, I see the plug behind the passenger seat. The only thing plugged into it is a power strip that is mounted on the outside of the fridge, over by the sliding door. I do not see a 110v cord to plug into the outlet?

I would assume the 12v is hard wired to the battery and the 110v power has to come from that plug when connected to shore power.

Any help would be appreciated. PO passed away, so i cannot ask any questions for troubleshooting.

Erik
916-802-4801
[email protected]
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1974/75 westfalia refrigerator question Reply with quote

Westfalia didn't put the power strip there so someone's been messing with it, any sign of a transformer in there? Some used 12V from 2 different sources (batt or trans), others used 2 heaters of different voltages (12/110). Sounds like you'll have to dig it out and see how it's wired.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: