Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Oil Cooling System
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madman4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Transmission Oil Cooling System Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm Looking for some ideas for pickup and feed, for a cooling system on a type 1 transmission for hard offroad use.

Thanks
Pat

[color=6633FF]MON BLOG !!![/color]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Oil Cooling System Reply with quote

From the performance forum. This guy is trying to get better trans cooling for a T1.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730276&highlight=transmission+cooling

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Oil Cooling System Reply with quote

You may want to look into cooling for Webster and Hewland transmissions.

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Oil Cooling System Reply with quote

I spent a little time working on that idea a while back. You'd have to have an external sump tank to keep from sucking air into the pump. Air in the pump means froth and that's no good for lubing or cooling.

Plus, you're going to have to calculate how much extra lube to add to make sure you're not starving something down below. You could build the sump so that it has an internal baffle tank to hold the extra lube when not running. That way, it won't back flood into your transaxle. You could put a fill cap in the tank.
It was a can of worms and not needed for anything that I might get involved in.

I did however, come up with a different way of doing things. I had the idea but have not researched it at all. I have no idea how feasible it is or if it's even doable. So!

What about extending the area under the transaxle? Cutting it out and welding a box thing over it. Put the drain plug in it. It would increase the lube supply by a lot which would help it run cooler. You could even weld in tubes from one side to the other to add air flow cooling. This was one of the hot items back in the 70's car world in the South. Cut the bucket off of the oil pan and weld in a one inch extension. Then weld the bucket back on. Then drill in and weld in tubes from front to rear to add in air cooling. Two extra quarts of oil and air cooling.

Big question is: How often are VW Type Ones damaged by overheating lube?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Oil Cooling System Reply with quote

Used offroad, I would (based on DECADES of personal experience) expect you to break LOTS of gears LONG before you EVER encounter overheating troubles in a gearbox.

Overheating gears is usually an issue for race cars that do sustained high speed operation, Like NASCAR, Indy, Endurance road racing. NEVER seen it as an issue for offroaders, including those racing the Baja 1000. Not even for 1,000hp Trophy Truck racers. At least not for the rear axle gears. Their automatic transmissions are a different game.

If you have experience with fried bearings in your T1 trans, then it was due to lack of lube.

If you are having transmission failure, then upgrade your transaxle. T2, or Weddle or Mendeola trans. Or Porsche G50.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: