Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

54 type 1. Questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

Went to estate sale today and found this 54 sedan being sold with a truck load of spare parts. It was a black car till they used 29 cans of krylon. Few alterations some very obvious but also he saved everything so putting it back won't be too hard. Anything you might be able to tell me would be appreciated, especially that ID plate. Thanks again. Oh and it is a running driving car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

Congrats on the find, but not sure where to begin and what you already know.

The rear deck lid is not stock, wrong spring plate. Hopefully the fenders are stock, just late model lights/turn signals added.

Original front seat frames is a bonus, back seat bottom is correct

The ID plate is correct, I have no idea what the French one is for

The VIN stamp in the chassis looks odd, that's not the correct font and the numbers do not appear to match the ID plate in the trunk. Maybe this ties into the French tag?

I can believe they cut the rear apron to fit the exhaust tip, but at least the original is there.

Glass logo is correct
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54ovsemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

Ribbed doors correct...how are the heater channels? Floorpans? Rear apron appears to have been cut to accept muffler. 55 down parts come at a premium hopefully those parts are included in sale.
1955 Semaphore Oval
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

I'd venture to say that because of the rear overrider tube holes that those fenders are incorrect.

Incorrect engine. That's not even a 36hp engine, let alone an early 36hp that belongs in the car.

Incorrect rear deck lid.

Rear apron has been modified to accommodate incorrect exhaust.

Incorrect front fenders, unless those signal markers were just added on... Which it looks like was likely the case as they're in a weird spot.

Hard to tell from photos if pan is correct; the heater channel grills and location of the heater controls knob will tell all.

My guess is that so much has been done to the car that is not correct that you will not likely have all the original parts.

That rear seat with the tabs on the bottom is correct for the car and worth a lot of money.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
I'd venture to say that because of the rear overrider tube holes that those fenders are incorrect.

Incorrect engine. That's not even a 36hp engine, let alone an early 36hp that belongs in the car.

Incorrect rear deck lid.

Rear apron has been modified to accommodate incorrect exhaust.

Incorrect front fenders, unless those signal markers were just added on... Which it looks like was likely the case as they're in a weird spot.

Hard to tell from photos if pan is correct; the heater channel grills and location of the heater controls knob will tell all.

My guess is that so much has been done to the car that is not correct that you will not likely have all the original parts.

That rear seat with the tabs on the bottom is correct for the car and worth a lot of money.

Thanks yes I noticed the dual port engine. Through the years the old man changed a few items but he saved most of the parts, those brown boxes are mostly full he even saved fan belts. Yes he cut the rear apron too. I do have a couple of 36 hp engines in storage. I went ahead and bought the car, it will make a nice winter project for me. That French tag up front is from the first repair shop established and there are pics here, its been discussed in at least two other topics. I appreciate eagle eyes noticing the small details I may have missed. I'll have better pics when I get the car Tuesday. His son told me they added the larger lights front and back for better visibility, of course the originals are in the box Very Happy I've been saving this for years it's all rebuilt and ready to go. I'm stoked.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

I think it's great that the owner had the foresight to keep all the original parts he removed during the years of his ownership! I think what people need to remember is that as these cars got older, a lot of modifications were made to keep them on the road. Almost all the 54/55 fenders I've found over the years have turn signal holes cut in the front and rear fenders to accommodate lights. Have you ever taken a road trip in a 6 volt car with dim headlights and "barely there" tail lights? I have, and it sucks! Most states mandated the use of turn signals, and removal of the semaphores.
This looks like a really solid foundation to build on! With the parts you get with the car, and the stuff you have in storage...I have no doubt this car will be great! I look forward to seeing what you do with it this winter!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

Unpacked the boxes here's some of what we found.

As I was saying the guy saved everything I found at least 50 sets of points and condensers a lot of 40 hp stuff for engine because when he bought the car in 1967 it had already been updated to 40 hp. Found an NOS Holley bug spray with chrome manifold, this stuff is all going to swap meet. The revolution will not be televised Very Happy
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

Nice parts haul!! Those look to be original front fenders. ..from the one side picture you put up. I would look on the inside of the rear fenders, maybe you'll get lucky and find the heart tail light holes welded (or body filler). So is this a Euro delivered 54?
Your other oval has some nice fade going on.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

Using search found that this tag also affixed to my car would lead me to believe it is was a non export model spent some time in and around France. This was the first big repair shop outside of Paris.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

Voltage regulator

farnhamassoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

are you still working on this Looks like most of the correct parts were in the parts haul. Heart tail lights regulator, car did not have bullets, big spring on decklid I did not see, If you are not going original on the engine I could use that regulator.
06 Jetta TDI 45mpg
Restored several 11 window kombi and standard
Current inventory 66 delux hard top, so23
60 ragtop and 61 hard top bugs 54 hardtop bug
67 tin top so42 62 SO10 ruthmann bucket truck
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

Hows it coming along?

Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

I believe at this time there was this company importing Volkswagen for the french market. Like Hoffmann for USA. Later came Volkswagen France. Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Hows it coming along?

Tomas

Yes and just like that 5 years went by. I’ve not touched it, the good news?
It’s been inside a dry garage. Poor project management on my part. John was right “ Life happens while you are busy making other plans” Very Happy
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 54 type 1. Questions Reply with quote

… we have a buncha' old VWs - we hardly use 'um anymore - for us, they are monuments-of-the-past - like trophies - just fun to own and look at - 'traded our '54 for a run-down 1950 split - not many of them in Oklahoma - having fun is what it is all about anyway - would love to find another Messerschmitt - glad you still have your trophy - isn't it a blast, just lookin' at it? z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: