Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Stereo Suggestions Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

For anyone looking at the VDO Continental radio linked above, ECS Tuning has it in stock for less than Amazon, free shipping too.

I'd much rather support ECS Tuning than Amazon.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vdo-parts/radio-orange-display-usb-mp3-wma-12v-vdo/tr7412ub-or~con/
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

69tr6r wrote:
For anyone looking at the VDO Continental radio linked above, ECS Tuning has it in stock for less than Amazon, free shipping too.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vdo-parts/radio-orange-display-usb-mp3-wma-12v-vdo/tr7412ub-or~con/

Great timing on this post as I am hunting for a new head unit and this one looks perfect.

Ordered.

Applause

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Saved a VDO radio in my ebay for a week or so, yesterday the seller gave me an offer of $160 so I took it. Blue light virsion.
Hope it's good. Looks like controls are simple enough not to require a lot of looking.
Good bye alpine 3 disc changer.
I know some folks collect older alpine so I guess I'll have a pile of that for ebay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

One positive review of the VDO head unit

Link
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
Saved a VDO radio in my ebay for a week or so, yesterday the seller gave me an offer of $160 so I took it. Blue light version.

My only issue with mine (in my Cabriolet), is that it doesn't remember the last track played in USB mode, so every time I start the car, the same sequence of song files plays in the exact same order off the USB stick, unless I hit the "random" button every time. Other than that, I like it; modern radio that has a more vintage, simplistic appearance.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Swapping my Blaupunkt head that I bought in July. The Bluetooth needed to reconnect after manually forgetting device…every time I wanted to connect. Much work went into trying to get it to function.
Unbeknownst to me, it was already discontinued when I bought it.

Moving on, the Pioneer avh 3500 that so many samba folks have recommended is back in stock at retailers. Mine is coming next week.

Going from retro to futuristic.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Crankey wrote:
Saved a VDO radio in my ebay for a week or so, yesterday the seller gave me an offer of $160 so I took it. Blue light version.

My only issue with mine (in my Cabriolet), is that it doesn't remember the last track played in USB mode, so every time I start the car, the same sequence of song files plays in the exact same order off the USB stick, unless I hit the "random" button every time. Other than that, I like it; modern radio that has a more vintage, simplistic appearance.

Can't that be overcome by using your phone screen and whatever app you play out of ?
I would expect to use this radio as a pass through for my phone.
I may stick a thumb drive in it though.
Unless I'm listening and glancing at the phone for directions i usually just listen to the engine.
BrownLoaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Installed the Continetal / VDO model number TR7412UB-OR and am quite pleased with how well the lighting matches the 87 syncro.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have not played around with it much yet. The van had no stereo from the PO and I wanted something simple that wouldn't look out of place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
Crankey wrote:

Can't that be overcome by using your phone screen and whatever app you play out of ?
I would expect to use this radio as a pass through for my phone.
I may stick a thumb drive in it though.
Unless I'm listening and glancing at the phone for directions i usually just listen to the engine.

Not using my phone, just a little USB thumb drive/stick/whateveryoucallit, which has no screen or app. Wink Using the AUX input with my iPod is issue-free (haven't used the USB input for the iPod yet).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Installed this over the weekend.

I could not justify spending a lot on a stereo, so I decided to try a cheaper knock-off digital media receiver and see if it would work. It's an ATOTO single DIN with floating 8" screen. The Amazon reviews are plentiful and mostly favorable.

https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-F7-Single-DIN-Double-...U&th=1

It has SiriusXM (with the added adaptor,) wired backup camera and ports for a front camera, Carplay and Android Auto, high power charging, and USB, Micro, and Aux ports.

The buttons feel kind of cheap, but the screen seems nice. It was a tight fit with my Vintage Air unit back behind the dash, but it fits.

I ran the wires for the backup camera but haven't quite finished that part. I'm also adding a USB link port to the dash so that big wire won't be dangling beneath the heater shroud.

All in all I'm impressed so far for $250 total.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

^^^That looks like an interesting option. Please follow up with your longer term impressions.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
moxbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

69tr6r wrote:

Hey when I follow that link, and plug in my Vanagon specs to the "will it fit?" tool, it shows that this Does NOT fit.

Has anyone here installed one of these in a T3 camper (mine is '87)?
BrownLoaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

moxbox wrote:
Hey when I follow that link, and plug in my Vanagon specs to the "will it fit?" tool, it shows that this Does NOT fit.

Has anyone here installed one of these in a T3 camper (mine is '87)?

I've installed the TR7412UB-OR stereo in an 83.5 and an 87, but purchased elsewhere. Since it's not a CD player, it is not as deep and frees up space for wiring between the back of the stereo and the ventilation box.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

We were looking for an inexpensive HU with Apple CarPlay and a few other features. I settled on a Boss BCPA9 double DIN screen mounted on a balljoint that can also be moved up and down for a large range of motion. I installed this in our Passat, but we've decided to move it to our EV because it's pre-wired for both front and rear cameras.

I test fit it, and it should fit rather nicely into a Vanagon. The chassis is shallow and single DIN. The screen is also removable. Ebay sells refurbished models for $230, directly from Boss. It also has a volume knob which is a big deal for me.

y u rune klassik?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Can you inform me why you like Apple CarPlay? I am new to the Apple ecosystem.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

My state has a strict hands free phone policy, so finding a way to minimize staring at my phone is a big deal. Apple CarPlay allows me to plug in and access navigation, iPod, phone calls, texts (audio only), Siri and other features. Double DIN is typically touchscreen, so there's less fiddling about with menus and whatnot.

y u rune klassik?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
My state has a strict hands free phone policy, so finding a way to minimize staring at my phone is a big deal. Apple CarPlay allows me to plug in and access navigation, iPod, phone calls, texts (audio only), Siri and other features. Double DIN is typically touchscreen, so there's less fiddling about with menus and whatnot.

I'd love to see a photo of this unit installed in your van.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

It's currently installed in our Passat, but I'll take a pic of it when it's briefly physically installed in my T3 prior to being fully swapped into the T4. I'm currently waiting for two cameras to arrive to facilitate all this swap activity.

y u rune klassik?
moxbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

loganthecyclist wrote:

I've installed the TR7412UB-OR stereo in an 83.5 and an 87, but purchased elsewhere. Since it's not a CD player, it is not as deep and frees up space for wiring between the back of the stereo and the ventilation box.

Thanks! That looks really nice. Simple and clean. How do you like the sound quality?

Also -- did you use the suggested wiring harness (sold separately)?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-continental-parts/vdo-headunit-wiring-harness/ac1111-slash-330~vdo/
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official Stereo Suggestions Thread Reply with quote

For those of you that like the Continental , VDO makes the same unit with blue light screen Wink TR711U-BUK
https://vdocockpit.com/products/453062943-tr711u-buk-vdo-am-fm-radio-usb-mp3-wma/#.YlU2ISjMLD4

Panasonic makes a decent one too, different style though. CRSM4208U
https://www.panapacific.com/product/panasonic-mech...-crsm4208u
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: