Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New throw out bearing....but
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwikley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: New throw out bearing....but Reply with quote

Clutch chatters in 1st, even with gradual release.
Rev up the engine speed and slowly release in 1st, little bearing squeal, a bit of chatter. slight jumpiness..... and then goes.

The clips on the sides are tight, the fork is new, the clutch is about 2 years old.

Puzzled.
Reason for replacement: the old fork grippers on the end both busted.
Not sure what I did wrong in the replacement.

Any ideas welcomed. Thanks in advance.

'70 bug convertible. Daily driver. Reliable as the day is long. Owned for 35yrs.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New throw out bearing....but Reply with quote

Your fork / throw out bearing is not centered to the clutch shaft or the arms are not level ( R vs L arm). Check my gallery pictures. I had to use / make a sleeve to center the fork arms. The clip to keep the shaft in position did not stay in place. I had NOS snap rings and they did not work on the NOS germany (aftermarket) throw out shaft. The new bushing kit had also to be modified to make it work. I think I used 1/2" EMT ( electrical metal conduit ) to make that short piece.

Last edited by Tvättbjörn on Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwikley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New throw out bearing....but Reply with quote

. Things seemed tight and aligned but I'll drop it and take your suggestions.
Thanks a lot.
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: New throw out bearing....but Reply with quote

Does the clutch cable seem to be adjusted properly? Wondering if the new throw out bearing is slightly different dimension, causing the clutch to not be fully engaged.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gwikley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: New throw out bearing....but Reply with quote

HI ,
Thanks.
Cable seems to be aligned correctly.

The new bearing LOOKED to be the same as the old.
When I pull it back out will have to borrow a caliper to measure and compare.

Thanks again.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: New throw out bearing....but Reply with quote

Once you drop the engine, post pics of your bell housing area and the pressure plate mounted to the flywheel. So much more info is available in a pic than text descriptions.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: New throw out bearing....but Reply with quote

I have seen this happen when a flywheel was overheated & warped or damaged from abuse.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New throw out bearing....but Reply with quote

I think incorrect amount of sag in the Bowden tube can also cause clutch chatter.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New throw out bearing....but Reply with quote

A number of things come to mind that can cause this problem. Some I will repeat.

User error, improper driving skills
No dip in the bowden tube.
Improper cable adjustment.
Broken weld clutch cable tube
Leaking crank seal, oil on disc
Burned or broken clutch disc
Pressure plate failure
Overheated pressure plate or flywheel, burn marks.
Torn nose cone mount.

Did you inspect the clutch when you had access to it?
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New throw out bearing....but Reply with quote

gwikley wrote:
... Reason for replacement: the old fork grippers on the end both busted.
Not sure what I did wrong in the replacement ...

It could be that you did nothing wrong in replacement, because there may be some underlying issue.

When did you first notice clutch chatter?

Was it before replacement? If so, there's something else going on and it's still causing chatter. In fact, it could be the reason for your broken fork "grippers" (clips holding throw-out bearing in fork?) and maybe even why you had to install a new fork (shaft and all?) The real culprit may well be one of the issues listed by raydog, or a combination of them. I've experienced symptoms similar to yours, replaced things, and still had chatter so bad it ultimately tore the front transmission mount bracket loose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New throw out bearing....but Reply with quote

what did you find??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: