Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 TDI in a 72 Super
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ILoveTruggys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: 1.9 TDI in a 72 Super Reply with quote

Does anyone know of the problems that come with swapping a 1.9 Tdi into an older bug? Such as fitment of the engine within the firewall and the axles fitting into place. And the problems with linking the transmission to the gear linkage. I want it to be mid engine and use the tranny from the Tdi(Don't want to buy an aftermarket transmission because I don't have all the money in the world). I dont really know if the transmission from the tdi will fit in the space between the brakes. And i dont really want to do an adapter plate on the original transaxle because im going to be pushing her hard. Im not afraid to cut into her but I still want to leave some room for the rear seats. Im just wondering if the dimensions of the tdi with the headers. turbo, and tranny will still fit into the rear. Don't be saying Dictionary words please, I'm still in highschool😅 Just wondering if anyone has done this yet because I haven't seen anyone do it and I would like to see if its possible.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI in a 72 Super Reply with quote

There won’t be much bug left.

For a longitudinally mounted mid engine configuration, the torsion housing is in the way of the oil pan so it all gets hacked out for a subframe & custom rear suspension.

For a transverse mid engine configuration, the trailing arms are in the way of the engine & transmission, it all needs to be hacked out for a subframe & custom rear suspension.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ILoveTruggys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI in a 72 Super Reply with quote

Is there a safe way to fab up a wider pair of trailing arms to fit the TDI? Would I have to put extra support bars around them to add more rigidity or would they be fine to handle it?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI in a 72 Super Reply with quote

It’s not so much about the width but about the fact that they are where you are wanting the engine to be.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 TDI in a 72 Super Reply with quote

don't have all the money in the world.

wants a full on radical custom

might want to adjust your expectations.

a Bus transaxle with a Kennedy adapter plate will work just fine.
fit in with little modification
and hundreds of others have already done it.

you will need to adjust the rear firewall for the water neck coming off the back of the cylinder head.

I know your ambition.. I built this just after highschool..
with a very limited budget and learning parts & skills as I went..
my aim was to build it as VW could (should) have.. with minimal DIY/custom parts.. as much off the VAG shelf as possible. that was back in 1991-1993 and I still own it Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: