Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Period Rally Fastback
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

I have recently aquired a 1968 Type 3 Fastback that the previous owner built as a go-fast street car before parking it 15 years ago.

The car has been substantially modified, engine bay expanded to accommodate type 1 tins and dual carbs, the front clip is a one piece fiber glass and there are Gene Berg parts used throughout.

The point. I collect and restore old racing motorcycles and have decided that this car really wants to be a period rally car. I believe this is the folder to document the build.

Inspiration:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Car:

Lot's to do, best get after it.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

thats dope! ive been wanting to do something like that with a fasty or a notch so i will be following along 100%. maybe a 2in lift. a subaru ez30 and 6speed swap. tall tires. long travel irs.

oh wait... thats not period correct. not unless you talking about this period Wink

good luck! and welcome to the samba!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
thats dope! ive been wanting to do something like that with a fasty or a notch so i will be following along 100%. maybe a 2in lift. a subaru ez30 and 6speed swap. tall tires. long travel irs.

oh wait... thats not period correct. not unless you talking about this period Wink

good luck! and welcome to the samba!

I wont likely do any more suspension than what is on a baja bug, with the appropriate wheel/tire combo. I still want it to be streetable.

As far as the powertrain, it already has an overbuilt 1800 mill and a Close Ratio four speed w/ Gene Berg short throw shifter. The previous owner grew up in a drag-racing VW family, so it is really going to be about getting the chassis up to the level of the running gear.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

Dual Weber DCNF carbs would be a huge, period correct improvement. Get some big Marchal lights for the front… looks like fun
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Dual Weber DCNF carbs would be a huge, period correct improvement. Get some big Marchal lights for the front… looks like fun

You mean these?

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

Those are Dellorto DRLA, which IMO are actually a better carb than the Weber DCNF. But the DCNF was one of the carbs that Berg sold a ton of back in the day, and as they're a little shorter than the DRLA they fit a little better in a type 3. But with the right manifolds those DRLA could work too.
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Those are Dellorto DRLA, which IMO are actually a better carb than the Weber DCNF. But the DCNF was one of the carbs that Berg sold a ton of back in the day, and as they're a little shorter than the DRLA they fit a little better in a type 3. But with the right manifolds those DRLA could work too.

the Engine bay has been modified to allow for more room on top of the engine, it was intended to accommodate a type 1 fan shroud, dune buggy manifold with these carbs on top. In reality there is enough room for a supercharger, if I wanted to go that route. There is no room for cargo or groceries, and that is OK for this build.
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

Moved up to the shop to prep for winter building and repairs.

Starting from the inside and working outward.
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

Before and after. (1st cleaning pass)

BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

Here is a concept sketch of the direction I am going

mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

I like it.

One suggestion based on my experience...put the fuel filler in the center of the hood...not off to one side. Makes it so I dont have to worry about what side of the pump I have to go to.

Good luck on your build.

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

Did get all the old carpet out and the pan cleaned.

BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

I spent the day in the shop scrubbing parts.

I pulled my spare engine from out of the shed to begin tearing it down and cleaning it up. It had a set of single port heads on it, but I have a nicer pair of dual ports for it.

Engine # H017319R If I am decoding this correctly it is a 67-70 1500cc.

the R at the end meant it was re-manufacturered at some point after 1972, correct? Also, if my math is right, this is a good basis for a +53hp engine and certainly worth rebuilding.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

Ive never seen one with an "R". Usually, youll see a vw recycle symbol for factory rebuilt engines, or just a letter code for replacement cases. Although the factory, when rebuilding an engine for a costumer using a replacement case, was suppose to restamp the case to the original engine code that would of came with the car, so its possible the employee just wanted us to know its a replacement block as well.

either way, flip it over. If its a dual relief, keep it, if its a single, then it may be a factory replacement engine that was purchased for you car a long time ago.

Replacement cases, came with dual relief and larger oil passages. Recycled cases, were just original cases with whatever machine work they needed.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

It is a dual relief case.

I'll be keeping it and rebuilding as a spare at some point.

thanks
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

It has been a while since I have posted anything

I have been slowly getting the engine sorted out. I have since learned that is has a fairly well-put together 1776cc engine in it and the bores and heads are in decent shape. It is getting fresh gaskets and seals, an oil pump and a Gene Berg sump that I found in the boxes of spares.

The DRLAs have been rebuild and mounted on GB 580A intakes, with a set of CB sand rated intake filters.

Additionally, I had some wire mesh that I welded to a pair of headlight rings and mounted to the front clip.

Progress is progress.

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

Nice work so far! those air filters look mean!

Are you keeping the wheels? Honestly a set of late 70's stock sport wheels would look killer on it. Smile

As it is your concept drawing looks like a cool little class 11/overland kind of theme. Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

Good question with the wheels. these are a really nice set of Dan Gurneys, but I am finding they are too narrow for the tires I want to run. for now they are fine, but it is something to consider.

And yes, there is definitely some overlanding influence. I hang out with a bunch of Jeep overlanders, even though I am usually on a kitted out Husqvarna Dual-Sport Motorcycle. You do not see many over-road fastbacks, so why not.
BonesBIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Period Rally Fastback Reply with quote

Engine went back into the car today. I needed to ensure to air cleaners will fit (they don't but it is workable) and the car is going into storage while we relocate.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: