Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Got around to removing the steering knuckle today, which was pretty straight forward. Then I got frustrated when I tried to secure the thing in a vise.
I want to be able to beat the link pin bushings out, and then the king pins and bushings, but I'm wondering if I'm in over my head.
I guess I'm a bit intimidated by all the pounding and hammering I saw in the youtube videos on link/king pin jobs. Embarassed

I'm gonna go ahead and order my link pin and king pin repair kits, along with bearings and a few other items. Maybe I'll feel better about doing this tomorrow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

You'll need to press the king pins out, it'll take a lot more force since they've been in there 70 years or so. Mine were a bear to get out. If you don't have a press or don't know how to do it you might take the assemblies to a machine shop since the bushings will need to be reamed to size once installed prior to assembling the spindles. The link pins are pretty straight forward. I replaced all of the hardware when I did mine.
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Well, me and the money pit are back, and it's time to start wrenchin' again!

I put the front end back together again. I'll have to come back to it. I'm still on the fence about replacing the whole front beam. For now, I'm moving on to figuring out my full flow oil system.
I have to fasten my oil filter somewhere, then measure to find out how long the hoses have to be. I know nothing about AN fittings and hoses, so I'm going to have to learn. Anybody's input is welcomed.

I also have an extra long clutch cable. Rather than cut the cable, I read where it's smarter to just loop the extra cable and fasten with a couple of "u" clamps.
I'll try it and take a picture.

1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

I think this should work. What could go wrong?

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Working with high tension sectional door cables there is a old saying, never saddle a dead horse. The clamp on the left in your pic is backwards. The u bolt will crush the tension side of the cable, causing a shorter life span of the cable.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Cut your cable and solder it together in the correct length. Before you cut it determine the length, mark where it's to be cut and soak that area with soldering paste or flux. Leave an extra inch or so on both ends. Heat it and flow in some solder. This way you can cut it with an angle grinder and you'll have zero fraying and clean ends. Now, do the same thing about an inch up on both ends. Then flux up both ends, lay them side by side so there's about an inch of overlap and solder them together. This gives a neat and clean joint that will not fail if you solder it correctly. That's how I did mine several years ago and it's still fine but my joint is up by the pedal. People don't realize the strength of a good solder joint. When I was teaching electronics I showed the guys how strong a joint was by soldering two 10ga wires side by side and letting the guys pull a car with it. They were amazed.
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

So let me get this straight. You guys wouldn't jerry rig your clutch cable like I've done? Hmmmm, somehow that doesn't surprise me. By now, all you guys have seen how incapable I am at a lot of this stuff. I mean, I try with some of these things, but like the link pins, I realized I was way over my head with that job. I don't have the tools for that task. (I don't believe just a big hammer will work)

My point is, I hope you all can laugh, and then continue with the helpful advice......... Because I sure need it. And I surely appreciate it. And can you believe? I don't think I've ever soldered anything in my life.
I have a kit to shorten the clutch cable, but it doesn't involve soldering. Just cutting. And the proper way to do this is by cutting and soldering?
I gotta let that one sink in. I'm ready to start wiring the buggy for the engine break in, maybe that's something that I'll be able to find lots of help with. And the full flow system. Both of these tasks are next. I really want to start the engines.
Oh yea, and my heat riser tube. I'm trying to modify it's shape so it will line up with the exhaust system. Another 'task' I'm working on. (...and here I thought I was done with the clutch cable)
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

I'm not saying soldering is the proper way, it's just how I did mine. It works and it's nice and clean. Filling the strands with solder before you cut will leave a clean, non frayed end as well.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

It will work just like that... as long as it doesn't hang up on anything. Not ideal but it will work.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

That's how the clutch cable in my Hi Jumper has been for ... about 45 years (meaning the loop with 2 cable clamps). I won a racing championship and nearly repeated with it and never had a failure or even any problems with it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Any updates on this?
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Any updates on this?

I was able to sell it through Facebook Marketplace. I took a huge loss financially, but I had fun working on it, and it kept me occupied. I guess it served a purpose.

Now, as you know, my new toy is a 71 Super Beetle. I'm pretty happy with it, especially since I'm able to drive it. (unlike my old toy) Embarassed

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: