Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustydents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

With the body off, I decided to pressure wash the front and rear suspensions. They were covered in gunk and lots of asphalt, as if someone drove through wet asphalt years ago. Anyway, after getting some gunk off I noticed the driver side front beam Shock Tower, at the bottom, has a rusty hole eaten into it on either side of the shock tower seam. One side of the seam has a hole about 1 1/4" vertical by 3/8" wide. I sprayed inside the hole with WD-40 and rusty debris just kept coming out.

The passenger side has the beginning of metal flakes, so chances are it has a small issue.

I do not know much about the front beam, since with my previous VW it had a solid beam and did not appear to need work.

Do the rusty holes in the front beam shock towers warrant a new beam (or refurbished)?? Or can this be repaired?
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

Just my opinion but when any thing like that happens its best to replace.

It can be fixed and some might recommend that, but for me and piece of mind its a replace. The three things you never take chances with are tyres, brakes and suspension they have to be 100% no exceptions. None of it is expensive on a VW really either.

Good luck
1969 T2 Deluxe
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

I would try to get a better beam. Is it link pin or ball joint?
new ball joint beams are available, not sure about link pin.
patch panels could be make and welded in but only if you really have to
good luck
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

Had the same issue with my beam. Rusted out and not solid.

Since I didn't need any special beam (lowered or narrowed) I got one from Rockauto 3 yrs ago. Think delivered it was around $260
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustydents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I have a ball joint front beam. Guess I will start looking for the replacement beam.

Is it advisable to reuse my current torsion leaves?

Wondering if I need to replace everything on the front suspension now.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

The Bentley book says the beam is replaced and never repaired. As someone suggests above, you don't mess with the brakes or the suspension.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

If the leaves aren't broken, reuse them, same with all the screws and fittings.
keep the Zerks, (grease nipples)
the new beam should come with new roller bearings on the outside and bushings on the inner. If not get new rollers.
You should replace the ball joints in the arms, but test fit the arms first to make sure they are not worn. if they are good, get the new ball joints pressed in.
There is another thread on ball joint brands, some people have had trouble with Meyle recently (to stiff), I've used some Febi/Bilstein which were good. (in Australia) hopefully someone might have some recent US experience on the ball joints.
I would add a new steering damper to the shopping list.
Do a search on steering box..... if possible get your old VW one rebuilt as it will be much better than the TRW replacement ones
I think this is it Question
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it advisable to reuse my current torsion leaves?
Sure. When you pull out the leaves, there will be 2 different sizes- wide and narrow. Make sure that none of them have the ends broken off. I "think" you can simplify the removal of the leaves by keeping one end of the leaf pack fastened to the trailing arm. After removing the center lock nut in the center of the beam tube, and removing the trailing arm from the other side of the beam, the side still attached to the arm should pull out all together. Very messy work because the leaves are covered with grease inside the tube for rust protection.

The front sway bar is attached to the lower trailing arms with 2 metal clamps on each arm. You can buy new, replacement clamps and rubber bushings in a kit. The clamps can be quite a challenge to undo.

The shock absorbers' bottom attachment nut should come off easily, but the bottom of the shock has a metal sleeve in the center of the rubber bushing that often rusts to the trailing arm. You can twist off the shock, and the sleeve remains on the arm. Get that sleeve off by applying heat from a hand-held propane or MAPP gas torch, gripping it with a vice grip, and rotating the bushing to loosen the rust from the arm. The new shock, or a good used one will still have the metal sleeve in the bushing.

The new beam "should" have a small tab on the lower tube just inboard of the shock tower. This tab is for positioning the steering box attachment clamp. Beams for Ghia and Beetle are the same, but the clamp has 2 notches at different positions so that the steering box on the Ghia is pointed down lower than on a Beetle because the steering column, seat and the body are lower.
rustydents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, folks. Much appreciated. That's good advice on the front beam. Just waiting on the front beam to arrive.

On to the next problem....discovered that the previous owners ran the fuel line around the bottom lip of the pan (passenger side) all the way to the back. And the tunnel is full of acorns and seat stuffing and a mouse or two.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

Quote:
And the tunnel is full of acorns and seat stuffing and a mouse or two.

Ugh. When you start to clear out the tunnel, wear a face mask, filter, and gloves. You can best blow out the residue with compressed air. There's a plate at the front of the tunnel which you can see in between the front axle tubes, and remove with 2 bolts. Then go under the rear seat, remove the football-shaped metal plate to the rear of the VIN stamping, and insert your air hose there so that you blow forwards. Tape a garbage bag to that front access hole so that the crap flies right into the bag, and keep the shifter and e-brake in place so that the filth does not blow out of those holes in case you have them off.

Next, jack up the car so that the rear is slightly higher than the front. Use a garden sprayer with its long spray wand to spray a mix of bleach and water into the tunnel to disinfect the remnants. Having the car jacked up allows the fluid to run along the tunnel floor and out the front access hole. For this you can remove the shifter and spray into the tunnel frontwards and rearwards. Or first keep the pan level so that the bleach can sit flat and work in, and then raise up the pan so the fluid drains out the front. You can also pressure-wash the inside of the tunnel after the bleaching.

The blowing out, then the bleaching and water will expose tunnel metal that has rusted due to the acidic pest residue. You can pour or spray some rust converter such as Rust-Mort, Evapo-Rust, etc to stop further decay.

Last edited by Rome on Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

Quote:
the previous owners ran the fuel line around the bottom lip of the pan (passenger side) all the way to the back

Is that fuel line metal-based or a hose? Is it firmly fastened to the pan channel using some type of clips that are held in place by the body fastening bolts? If so, and it does not hang down anywhere where it could be snagged by a road obstacle, it could be left in place. Just replace the flexible hoses at the front and rear with new ones that are ethanol rated.

There's also a VW workshop repair to route the fuel line through the "Napoleon's hat" on the right side of the tunnel hump, inside the passenger compartment. That repair was from one of the 1950's shop manuals but can also work for your car if you are concerned with the accessability or vulnerability of that outside frame routing. I know the repair is found somewhere in theSamba archives/tech articles. I've done that myself on a '69 Beetle with good results.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
There's also a VW workshop repair to route the fuel line through the "Napoleon's hat" on the right side of the tunnel hump, inside the passenger compartment. That repair was from one of the 1950's shop manuals but can also work for your car if you are concerned with the accessability or vulnerability of that outside frame routing. I know the repair is found somewhere in theSamba archives/tech articles. I've done that myself on a '69 Beetle with good results.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rustydents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

The external fuel line was attached near the body mount brackets using what appears to be cut up (shortened) rigid conduit clips. They were screwed thru the pan using sheet metal screws and it was concealed and held up rather well, but I don't like how they notched the pan by the front right tire.

I can use the Napoleon hat reroute, as I think it would be better than notching my new pans.

What are the chances of reusing the tunnel fuel line? Does that require opening the tunnel from the bottom? If so, that's way out of my comfort zone.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

the chances of the old fuel line being good are slim, they rust.
but you can run a new line through the tunnel without opening the pan, but is does take patience. you leave most of the old one there.
there is a thread on this somewhere on the Samba. Let me know if you can't find it. It is the same job as on a beetle.

the tunnel cleaning and derusting is important to do. Another way is to make a vacum cleaner extension and work from the front access plate. I hung a little light globe through the gear shift hole and the back cover so I could what I was doing Idea
rustydents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

I managed to tape 4 shop vac extensions together with a 3/4" PVC 90 at the end to clean out the tunnel. Worked pretty good.

Since I have to fix the "mouse" hole someone cut in the tunnel near the emergency brake, I went ahead and opened it up a little bit more so that it is more of an even rectangle. Was able to clean out from that location as well. I did read how the tunnel steel is structural, so I will make sure the new piece is butt welded thoroughly.

Inside that tunnel hole is where I noticed a bolt bent in the shape of a U, wrapped around the 2 big tunnel cables at the bottom. That bolt sticks out the bottom of the tunnel and has a nut on it. Will have to figure out how to fix that. I remember seeing a cross section of a tunnel here a few weeks ago. I think I remember seeing some home-made brackets.

Was going to cut out my old pans, but I am stumped at why/how close the passenger side and driver side inner seat rails are to the tunnel. Looking from the bottom side of the vehicle, if I cut the pans off right near the edge of the tunnel, both of the inner seat rails will be cut up significantly.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

to save the seat rails you need to drill out the welds and take them off first.
Then you then drill out the pan welds from the top as well.
Another approach is to get repro seat rails

a 'Blair' spot weld cutter is better than most others, I like the sort with the drill in the middle, it wanders around less.
I glad the vacuming went well
rustydents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

I cut out the drivers side pan. Cleaned up 90% of the lip where the pan will sit. However, the rear portion of the frame, near the jack mount is rusted bad. This is the back corner where the the new pan holes will line up with the part of the frame with holes. Any idea what this piece is called and if anyone sells these? I searched for rear cross-member, but did not find what I was looking for. This piece is rotted so bad, there isn't much left to save or repair.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

rustydents wrote:
I cut out the drivers side pan. Cleaned up 90% of the lip where the pan will sit. However, the rear portion of the frame, near the jack mount is rusted bad. This is the back corner where the the new pan holes will line up with the part of the frame with holes. Any idea what this piece is called and if anyone sells these? I searched for rear cross-member, but did not find what I was looking for. This piece is rotted so bad, there isn't much left to save or repair.

You can locate the repair parts in thesamba classifieds.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...jack+point
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...jack+point

Quote:
Since I have to fix the "mouse" hole someone cut in the tunnel near the emergency brake, I went ahead and opened it up a little bit more so that it is more of an even rectangle. Was able to clean out from that location as well. I did read how the tunnel steel is structural, so I will make sure the new piece is butt welded thoroughly.

Quite possibly a repair of the clutch tube and not mice. Just behind the E brake is a standard place for this repair. Here is mine.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rustydents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tunnel pics.

Its not the jack support I am looking for; thanks though.
It is the back lip that supports the pan. The corner portion with the holes in it for the body mount bolts.
rustydents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Front Beam Lost Cause? Reply with quote

Hopefully this image of the part in question is not too close up.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: