Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 5spd strength?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: 914 5spd strength? Reply with quote

how strong is a 914 5 spd compared to vw transaxles? bout equivalent to a type1 or better?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 5spd strength? Reply with quote

i think basically the same. i have no personalexperiance, but i did a little reading on pelican parts forum. i think 1st gear is weak on them? or is that the 912/911 relative?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 5spd strength? Reply with quote

I had 914's, miss mine !

I found the tranny to be a work in progress. If I remember correctly it had a Side Shifter and a tail shifter. The tranny case and gears were the same but the shifter was different.

The shifter mushy, not a good click in click out.

First gear was like a bug, 5 gear needed flat roads and high speeds to enjoy..

If I throw 5 th at 60 I felt a large power loss, like 5 th was made for higher speeds. Well the car could do 127 easy.

That said the tranny was strong

You think a Bug has an easy engine to remove, ha. Being mid engine the tranny comes out with the engine, no pulling, lift the car up and they drop together.

Easiest engine I ever removed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 5spd strength? Reply with quote

The 901 trans came stock in cars up to around 180hp.

First gear is cantilevered on the end of the shafts like a berg 5 fifth is.
This makes first brakeable. Not a good trans for drag racing.

Except for not being able to side step the clutch in first it is said it will handle around 350hp.
Of course it is torque that breaks things. So it is more common to use the 901 with a V6 instead of a V8.
I did have an friend with a 901 and a twin turbo LS V8.....but he did not use first .....and did not have enough traction to break things.

I am currently building a car with a 901 and a 2.5L V6. A low torque, high rpm engine around 200hp.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 914 5spd strength? Reply with quote

well my plan would be to use the 5spd wirh reduction boxes modified to be on irs arms. ( more for an offroad application ). so it would still be rear engine and with a 30% gear reduction 1st and 5th's usability would just depend on my tire size i recon...
im really just kicking the idea around anyhow. its eithe this or just go with a 5 rib that i have for simplicity sake
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 914 5spd strength? Reply with quote

Are the 914 trans easy to adapt to a rear vs mid engine rotation? Can you simply flip the meaty bits side to side like a swing trans?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 914 5spd strength? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Are the 914 trans easy to adapt to a rear vs mid engine rotation? Can you simply flip the meaty bits side to side like a swing trans?

Yes it can be "flipped" but not as easy.
Actually the 914 trans in flipped and you would have to un-flip it.
Then you would need the nose shift mech from an early,911/912 trans. Only the earlier ones had the 901 model trans.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 5spd strength? Reply with quote

In my replay I gave the quarks!! left out the Pros, extremely strong tranny.

Answer to your question I believe it is a better tranny but swaping it is not easy.

The 914 was always questioned as to being a real Porsche because of the VW connection in building the engine .
But that cannot be said about the 901 tranny it is pure Porsche.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 914 5spd strength? Reply with quote

I'm running this conversion kit in my 73' Road Race car.
https://www.bugat5speed.de/en/beetle-co/transmissions/conversion-parts-porsche-transmission-901-914

It's a very well made kit. The only problem I had is that the shifter snapped off during a race. We had to rig our own shifter back together at the track to get back into the race. I don't do Hole shots at all. Just Endurance racing with a lot of shifting. The 914 trans is pretty tough considering I have 3-5 different drivers in the car.
One downfall is that the parts are pricey$$ if you need to replace things.
If it says Porsche-You're going to pay$$.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: