Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockmud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

I have an engine code of HO, which I found is a 1500cc 53hp gem. It has a H30/31 PICT carb and the dizzy is 111-905-205M. I saw an article that states this particular dizzy is meant to run on a 40 hp motor. My motor is not performing quite right. I wonder if you wise people might be able to suggest a good dizzy carb combo for this engine. I'm new to VW air cooled and have no idea where to start finding this information. Thank you in advance for your input.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

I believe the 205-k distributor paired with the solex 30 pict1 carb is what you want. Both are available rebuilt, and to purchase in the classifieds here.

Also, make sure all cooling tins and engine to body seals are in place along with a functioning thermostat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

111-M is OK for such an application if the advance works. It's not stock but it's in the same "family" of distributor types. If it works right that is and set the timing correctly. I'd still prefer a 113-K though.

(Also: with an H30/31PICT, I'd want a 113905205M or 113905205T)

Now, In my opinion, the factory installed 30PICT-1 used on the 1500 engine was the best carb that DVG ever made for VW. (There is a different 30PICT-1 that was used on the 1300 engine, and those should only be used for such in stock form)

The 30PICT-1 was the last carburetor that DVG made for VW that lacked any kind of emissions modifications. Just a simple Solex style carb whose 1500 version has an Enrichment circuit ("Power Fuel System" as VW also called it)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rockmud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

I have just acquired a 67 HO code beetle that is missing a distributor, though it seems the original carb is with it. Any reason I could not use my 80's vintage Brazilian 009 on it?

Thanks!

Chris
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

ccowx the 009 will work in your engine. My HO in my 67 is running a 009 but I want the 205K dist. for mine, I think the engine will run cooler and smother.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

Good to know that the 009 will fit. Am I correct in understanding that the 30-1 carb is compatible with the same svda dissys as the early 70's 34-3 dual ports? 113 905 205AJ for example? I may customize the advance curve anyway.

Thanks!

Chris
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
Good to know that the 009 will fit.

Chris

Fit and work well are 2 different things.

Years ago I was contacted by a guy with a 57 Porsche Speedster... a real one. It had a Bosch 009 in and wanted to get the correct distributor. A month after i sent it I got a email saying he though the car ran great before and just wanted the engine to be correct. He didn't expect how much better it ran and accelerated.

There are many VW owners that don't know what a a well tuned and running VW engine is like.

Quote:
Apparently what I thought was great wasn't even good. First of all my car runs 30 degrees cooler at high speeds. It revs faster, it runs faster. It runs significantly better in every way. And this is in a car that by consensus was considered a great running car. If I was told there would be this much difference I would not in any way believe it. Not considering how well the car ran before.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

Agreed and understood. I would prefer to have the vacuum advance and all that, so I am pleasantly surprised to know that the HO code engine uses similar dissys to the later DP/34-3. Seems the 34-3 and 30-1 both have similar ported vacuum hookups if I am understanding correctly.

Thanks!

Chris
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

No, the 30PICT-1 carbs that came on 1966-67 era engines doNOT have a ported vacuum fitting. You find that on the "lets throw every thing you can think of at a carb" the bastard-child H30/31PICT that never came stock on any VW.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

Ok, back to trying to find some sort of svda type option for this one. I don't want the vac only unity, other than for show, so whatever goes on won't be stock.

Chris
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
Ok, back to trying to find some sort of svda type option for this one. I don't want the vac only unity, other than for show, so whatever goes on won't be stock.

Any specific reason why you don't want to match your current carb to the proper distributor (or a compatible one) that it came from the factory with as a matched set?

Don't get me wrong, I love SVDA distributors... when they are matched to a carb that will provide the proper ported vacuum signal. But there is also nothing wrong with a venturi vacuum SVA distributor matched to the proper carb. These carbs are the 30Pict or H30/31 carbs which provide the proper vacuum signal.

The very worst thing you could do is mismatch the carb and distributor. The engine may start and run but you lose a lot of performance that is there when you have a matched carb+distributor.

If you insist on using an SVDA distributor with a SP engine you have two options:
    1) Replace the carb with a H30/31 and connect the SVDA distributor vacuum canister to the angled port on the rear face of the carb. Plug the left side vacuum port.
    2) Buy an aftermarket DP center section and SP end castings. This arrangement allows the DP center manifold to mate with SP heads. The DP center will mount the 34Pict carb which will work with an SVDA distributor. If you have 1500SP engine you may be a bit over carbureted as the 34Pict carb was designed for a 1600DP engine.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

I am not convinced that the sva is going to work well with today's gas and I am not sure I know how to tune one. I also do not know of a replacement diaphram for these carbs and they rarely work after 50 years. If I am wrong about the efficiency of this distributor or if anyone has a source of replacement diaghrams, please let me know.

I am familiar with the svda carbs for tuning. However, since the carb has no ported vacuum, that kind of makes it all a moot point. I need to change the carb if I want to use the svda. I do like the idea of using the center section and 34-3, so that is one way I may do this.

My other option is to use the 009. Not ideal for highway use but it will work. I recall the max advance is 32-35 for the sva and it is not far off the max for the 009. There may not be that much functional difference. It does not appear that there was much extra advance built into these sva distributors for steady cruising.

Thanks!

Chris
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

I hardly drive my Bugs any more, but back before I stopped driving my Baja, I had for many years been using a 30PICT-1 and matching vacuum-only 113905205K distributor... and this is on a 1600 dual port so I have to use a base adapter for the carburetor. This works, and it works well. Some people say I'm killing top end performance but I never noticed it. (I've alternated this with a matched VW_410/34PICT-3 carb and 043905205 distributor.)

I just like the simplicity of the 30PICT-1. It was, after all, the final carb made by the German Carburetor Company (DVG) for VW, prior to them reworking the carb design to make it more emissions friendly (and consumer unfriendly)

Oh, and this is with E10 fuel and at 4800 foot elevation. Ethanol laced fuel has a little bit less overall power density, but other than lower fuel economy, it runs fine.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

So after reading and following this thread I am morae confused than ever. I have an HO engine that is OG to my 67 bug, When I bought this car it came with a 009 dist. and ran well but the carb. leaked like a sieve, I bought a new carb. and the one the local Aircooled shop gave me is a Brosol/Solex carb. The box it came in states its a P/34PICT but also says 31 PICT on the tag. the carb. itself says H 30/31 PICT, the car runs well but I want to go back to the OG 205K dist. that came stock on these engines. would the 205K dist. work with this carb. and be a good match to this carb. Thanks for any info on this.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
So after reading and following this thread I am morae confused than ever. I have an HO engine that is OG to my 67 bug, When I bought this car it came with a 009 dist. and ran well but the carb. leaked like a sieve, I bought a new carb. and the one the local Aircooled shop gave me is a Brosol/Solex carb. The box it came in states its a P/34PICT but also says 31 PICT on the tag. the carb. itself says H 30/31 PICT, the car runs well but I want to go back to the OG 205K dist. that came stock on these engines. would the 205K dist. work with this carb. and be a good match to this carb. Thanks for any info on this.

Yes, the H30/31 and the 205K SVA distributor should be a good match.

The challenge is understanding if the left side vacuum port (port "A" shown below) on the Solex Pict carb is linked to low (venturi) vacuum signal (for SVA) or a high (ported) vacuum signal (for SVDA/DVDA).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This comes down to researching the original carb-to-distributor matching that VW shipped the cars with. Glutamodo has collected these matching combos for USA spec cars in the following tables. Note that within a single model# (eg. 30Pict-2) there are different base flange#s which ID whether that carb was designed to work with a specific model distributors. For the 30Pcit-2 carb you can see some where made to work with SVA distributor while other 30Pict-2 (autostick) carbs were made to work with SVDA distributors.

All of the manual transmission carb+distributor combos above are SVA distributors. So if your carb model# and base flange#s match up with a a car that came with a manual transmission, you can use pretty much any of the SVA distributors listed above.
All of the Autostick distributors above are SVDA distributors so the carbs model#s and base flange# they are matched to provide ported vacuum on the left side vacuum port.

Note the comment for the aftermarket H30/31 carb that it may not work well w/ Autostick distributors because it only provides low venturi vacuum on the left side port for SVA distributors. But, if your H30/31 has a port "D" pictured in the above carb... this port is connected to a ported vacuum opening in the carb. This port should work very well with SVDA distributors. Just be sure to route the hose up above the fuel bowl (run it thru the air cleaner clip) to prevent liquid fuel from draining down into the distributor diaphragm.

All of the 34Pict carbs listed above came with either SVDA or DVDA distributors. Again, the best combo is matching the carb model# and base flange# with the distributor it originally came with. There are some small incompatibilities between mixing DVDA carbs with SVDA distributors.

Glutamodo's full write up can be found here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095

As far as how the SVA and SVDA vacuum advance systems work at different engine modes... there is a pretty good description half way down this thread with pictures.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8881404
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

Thanks ashman40 for the info. Mine does have the D port and also the port just below the carb. flange. I read glutamotos write up on his tests but will have to re-read it a few times so the info will sink in. I wonder what that port below the flange was used for? Thanks again.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

We keep coming back to the SVA dissys. As I said, in my world they seem to be a non-starter for the simple reason that they are both unavailable and also not very tuneable. This was why they were all replaced at John Muir's urging in the early 70's. Am I correct in this viewpoint or is there a source of diaphrams etc that I am not aware of?

Thanks!

Chris
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I hardly drive my Bugs any more, but back before I stopped driving my Baja, I had for many years been using a 30PICT-1 and matching vacuum-only 113905205K distributor... and this is on a 1600 dual port so I have to use a base adapter for the carburetor. This works, and it works well.

Ever since I put the 30PICT-1 and the 205-k on my 1600 SP engine, it runs perfectly!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dizzy carb combo on 1500cc type 1 engine Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
We keep coming back to the SVA dissys. As I said, in my world they seem to be a non-starter for the simple reason that they are both unavailable and also not very tuneable. This was why they were all replaced at John Muir's urging in the early 70's. Am I correct in this viewpoint or is there a source of diaphrams etc that I am not aware of?

Thanks!

Chris

Single port engines are SO much more forgiving of a centrifugal-only distributor like 0231178009 and when Muir was still alive, it was still a high quality made in Germany part. Often cheaper than fixing a bad vacuum canister, so on 1960s manual shift Bugs, it was a functional, economical choice. Dual port engines, on the other hand, really do not like having a a mis-match between carb and distributor.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: