Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to replace before (or have spares of on) my trip
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: What to replace before (or have spares of on) my trip Reply with quote

Hi, friends.

I'm hoping to take a trip from the home office in East Tenn. out to northern NM and Denver in a couple weeks in Stella, a 1976 Transporter, 2L FI, pretty much stock. Many of you have helped me get her back in shape, and I (we) REALLY appreciate that.

I took a trip in the bus to Wilmington, NC last month, and came back through the mountains of western NC. The bus ran just great all the way. I had to go 75 mph around Charlotte and had no problem. Kind of a bitch in the wind sometimes, but the Konis are in the mail. I also commute with my bus, 2x/week 40 minutes of mixed but mostly highway driving each way. Rarely exceed 65. It's not a show bus by any means, but I feel that mechanically it is really solid and in a way, coming into its prime.

That said, There's always that possibility, that "what if" lurking somewhere in the machinery, of a random part about to very suddenly lay down. Asbestos I can tell, here are the things I am the most nervous about giving up on me in Boise City, OK. (Call me weird, but this trip will have me travelling the length of US 412, from just west of Nashville to Springer, NM).

-Alternator (currently [NPI] running a 55 amp that was installed new in early '90s. new harness as of 2018 and I have all the tin, cooling elbow is probably original)
-Fuel pump (Bosch, 7 years old)
-Fuel pressure regulator (how often do these go bad? They're stupid expensive).
-Voltage regulator (ditto)
-ECU (ditto)
Pretty much everything else I have spares of.

Can alternators be rebuilt like starters? Like I say, mine is 30 years old, having replaced a failed one far from home. The alternator went out on my Vibe a couple years ago in Port Jervis, NY, lengthening my trip. I'm very wary of alternators. Otherwise am I completely paranoid to think I shouldn't leave without a spare? Btw I know about the cautions with the aftermarket alternators, you don't have to post that.

Just looking to see what kind of emergency parts actually work and FIT and maybe even last a while that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks, sorry for the rambling post.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What to replace before (or have spares of on) my trip Reply with quote

Lost the generator on my T-181 Thing 600 miles from home and couldn't get one locally all that quick so I bought a second battery and hooked it up in parallel and drove that way for the rests of my trip, but avoided night driving. On another trip, I lost the alternator bearings on my Vanagon in the middle of nowhere in Nevada late on a Saturday night and by midday Sunday I was back on the road with a Delco spinning sweetly in place of the dead Bosch.

Moral of the story is there is very often a way to keep going if you give it some thought.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: What to replace before (or have spares of on) my trip Reply with quote

For a DD, go the preventative route on alternators

A Get aOG from the classifieds Ora junkyard.

2. Have it rebuilt ( about$100)

iii Swap in

Sqrt(16) repeat (2) on your old one, stow it onboard
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: What to replace before (or have spares of on) my trip Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
For a DD, go the preventative route on alternators

A Get aOG from the classifieds Ora junkyard.

2. Have it rebuilt ( about$100)

iii Swap in

Sqrt(16) repeat (2) on your old one, stow it onboard

I have a Bus Depot alternator in my bus but kept the old one. I also have a Napa starter in my bus but saved the old one too. I plan to have the old units rebuilt and keep them as spares. The starter worked fine but could use a cleaning up. The pinion is pretty beat up.

I often wonder if I could do a top end rebuild on a picnic table in a campground. The only thing that has ever ended a trip was burned valves. I have even considered bringing along a spare longblock on something like a coast to coast trip. It’s like 250 lbs of extra weight.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What to replace before (or have spares of on) my trip Reply with quote

My rebuilder. xcel electric in Schenectady, has told me the copper in the newer stuff is shinola, loaded with pot metal.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: What to replace before (or have spares of on) my trip Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Lost the generator on my T-181 Thing 600 miles from home and couldn't get one locally all that quick so I bought a second battery and hooked it up in parallel and drove that way for the rests of my trip, but avoided night driving. On another trip, I lost the alternator bearings on my Vanagon in the middle of nowhere in Nevada late on a Saturday night and by midday Sunday I was back on the road with a Delco spinning sweetly in place of the dead Bosch.

Moral of the story is there is very often a way to keep going if you give it some thought.

Did this in my VW Corrado one time. Lost the serp belt at night in the middle of nowehere in Eastern Colorado, after a long weekend full of frustration already.

We elected to keep driving, hoping to get within an AAA tow of Hayes, KS. We made that goal and because I couldn't get ahold of my friend that lived there, I had them drop me at Wal-Mart. Bought a marine deep cycle battery and was able to rig it up to where I could feed power into the cigarette lighter with the battery sitting on the passenger side floor. At that point, I also pulled a headlight fuse and we took off.

With that, we were able to make it the 2.5 hours to get home.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What to replace before (or have spares of on) my trip Reply with quote

Hwy 412.....I have not been full length on it....but every segment I have been on is very nice scenery!.

The fuel pressure regulator.....how often do they go out? All the damn time. Especially.....most often while they do not just stop dead.....they just operate poorly and in fact most leak down and are inaccurate. This causes poor or rough starting and variable fuel mixture.

This is a little worse that it was....in the ethanol era.

So.....how old is your regulator and when was the last time you replaced it? Have you done a recent pressure AND volume test.....and then checked the next morning before starting to see what your internal leakage rate is?

Right now...Bosch branded fuel pressure regilators are high.....but not quite that expensive. However, the Standard Motor Products regulators are priced quite reasonably.....and SMP quality.....I have yet to find any issues with. Its been pretty damn good for everything from injectors to points (especially points).

Right now, Rockauto has 1 Bosch FPR left in stock at $113. They have the SMP regulator for about $45 and the Beck Arnley unit for about $45.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,197...lator,6124

The deal with fuel pressure regulators and fuel pump are really this.....how old are they and have you checked them lately? How were they performing? These two problems rarely ever "sneak" up on you.

The fuel pump....not a big deal. If it craps out on the road.....you can likely buy any of hundreds of two port pumps and roll on. The FPR....needs to be a bit more specific.....it will be far harder to find....or find one that can work in a pinch.

This particular part number....for instance if you Google the Beck Arnley part, you get returns crom Amazon, Summit, O'Reilly and Autozone to start with. The problem with looking at all three of those close to me.....none of the stores have them in stock. All can get it because it fit a lot of cars. But....you could easily be looking at 3 days average.

In my opinion....these days.....I would keep a spare in a baggy for long trips even if its used.

Ray
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: What to replace before (or have spares of on) my trip Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I just found the receipt for the alternator, It was a used unit installed 3/27/90 at Bill Sparks Garage in Lexington, KY. 67,000 miles, but 31 years ago. There are a couple local yards that have alternators, I still have some time.

I'll replace the FPR as a matter of course, and have the old one tag along. I don't know how they work, I'm just trusting that it won't make things worse because the bus runs fine, like better than ever in 33 years, "Wanna race?" fine. There is a light for when the alternator is failing, but not for when the FPR is failing.

I know as a DD I should be replacing parts on it left and right, These were my biggest concerns. Thanks again.

A
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: What to replace before (or have spares of on) my trip Reply with quote

The usual thing like with alternators is to imagine things you cannot just pick up along the way, and which stop you dead if they break. But which you could fit yourself at a campsite or parked somewhere.

So a spare clutch cable and throttle cable should be in the spares kit.

If you have a Pertronix equipped distributor, another one with points and condensor pre-timed with a clamp ready to drop in..

Along with enough tools to fit the parts you bring along and a volt meter.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What to replace before (or have spares of on) my trip Reply with quote

I've ordered a FPR and a Voltage regulator, they'll probably arrive right as I'm leaving. But at least I'll have spares. It occurs to me that along my route there are vendors that may have spares, one in Arkansas and a few in CO. They might have some really important parts, like the glove box strap, and the ashtray, and maybe a left heater box that actually fits, and front door cards, and.. and...

I did replace a heater box in a wilderness area. I brought it along because it had just come in the mail, but I actually got "low-centered" in back and destroyed the old one, good call on packing for that trip.

I am running Echlin points already, so I'm thinking that if they haven't failed yet that they won't soon. New Bosch points failed in about 100 miles and I can tell that the Echlins are built of stiffer stuff. It was funny when I bought them, the salesman said that if it still didn't run, I should swallow the capsule of grease to put me out of my misery. But they work great. Bosch blue coil is 2 years old. Throw out bearing is 3 years old. Fuel pump is 7 years old, but really only has about 10,000 miles on it.

CV joints are all 2 years old, EMPI boots are still intact.

New Konis: I had a monroe left rear, a KYB right rear, and I guess Bilsteins in front (they were black and they actually matched); all about 30 years old. I'm still waiting for the big Konigasm that everybody talks about. Maybe the front sway bar needs replacing too, I suppose they wear out.

Tires are Primewell PS 850, stock size. I think they are aggressive enough for bad dirt roads (but maybe not awful ones) while still being quiet at highway speeds. Big nice thing about them is that they are older but no dry rot.

I'm driving the bus because it runs better than my 2009 vibe, which has AC AND heat, a cd player, and goes 100 in a pinch. That's yourall's doing. Thanks again.

Andy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: