Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel starvation ? 67 VW 1500
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel starvation ? 67 VW 1500 Reply with quote

thanks for the info!
It passed the test for pushrod stroke. I went ahead and replaced the old pump spacer. It was super crumbly, but I got the lower part out in one piece doing the trick of tapping it to 3/8 16 and pulling it with a bolt, a nut, and a washer. I was sure to run the tap as deep as possible and the whole thing came out as one piece. I'll go for a drive tomorrow and report back.
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel starvation ? 67 VW 1500 Reply with quote

Sorry for the late update. Work got in the way of tinkering. I replaced the spacer, which did not fix the issues. So to summarize, I have

Cleaned the heat riser
Swapped the distributor (and condenser)
Swapped the coil
Replaced the distributor spacer
Swapped the headlight switch
Swapped the carb
Swapped the fuel pump
Measured the pump rod stroke
Checked for good fuel flow from the tank
Replaced the gas cap
Checked if ignition wire is grounding out

And it still acts like it's starving for fuel when I drive it for a few minutes. Could it maybe be a wiring issue? Not sure why it would only happen upon warm up. Another odd thing that started happening shortly before I parked the bus for a couple years is it started blowing voltage regulators.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: fuel starvation ? 67 VW 1500 Reply with quote

langsmer wrote:
And it still acts like it's starving for fuel when I drive it for a few minutes. Not sure why it would only happen upon warm up.

Probably been said before: if mine I'd make sure (#1) that the choke was fully open after a few minutes and (#2) loosen the gas cap, in case there's a vacuum in the tank due to a clogged tank vent line.

#2 happened to me once, clog in the vent line
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: