Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennismcd707 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

Hey guys, I feel pretty stupid, but also really frustrated. I can't seem to figure out the exhaust routing for my Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler.

I placed the pipes where they look like they belong, and when I'm done, all of the pipes don't line up, and I don't know how the muffler ties in.

I'm hoping that somebody might have a clear photo that shows the set up, or maybe a diagram for each piece showing how it fits together.

I'm also curious, when I fit two pipes together, there are no clamps or anything. Won't the exhaust leak at these spots?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments or tips. (or close up photos)

Here are a few shots of where I'm at. Help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

It looks like you need to swap the pipes going to the collector from the #1 and #3 cylinders, at least - they should go "up" to the collector, and your pic has them upside down / going "down" to the collector. That adjustment should get you headed in the right direction.

Pic from the gallery:

Use a little Permatex Ultra copper where the pipes fit together - be sure to let it dry for 24 hours before firing it up.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

True Tri-Mill's don't have a flange... RB
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

Dont bolt anything down until everything is assembled.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

Its in a Rail it looks like.. Try-Mill to bend to Extractor...

Ran one with my Street Rail and in the end had a 2110 that
could do 0-60 mph in under 4 seconds... RB
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

Keep all mounting bolts screwed in but LOOSE as you get the slip in fittings lined up. Then once everything is installed and in place you tighten down the flanges fully.

Sometimes header get built and pass thru QC with slight flaws in the bends or more often the flanges are welded on slightly crooked... it really shouldn't be, but it does happen. Sometimes flange holes may need to be ovalled out slightly or even pipe bent a little... but I don't think it's that serious here.

Who made this thing? What brand?

My $250 AA header fit like a glove...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

Who made this thing? What brand?

On the box it says "AC INDUSTRIES" and "TRI MILL COMPETITION", and I bought it from Aircooled.Net.

Thanks "steve mariott" of Humble Pie for getting me to switch the #1 and #3 pipes. That was the problem. Now if I could just get my heat riser tube to line up with the exhaust port!

1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

You can put the red permetex high temp rtv in the slip joints
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

Trim the heat riser pipe to get it to fit, it should pull out of the casting to allow adjusting it.

You may have to straighten the bend in the riser pipe at the casting end and re-bend it in order to cut enough off.

Dont try too hard, theres maybe a carburettor change coming in the near future when your progressive sucks.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

I have to get a new torch to heat this sucker up, mine stopped working. I've already trimmed it, now the bend has to be moved.

So, the progressive will suck, eh? I hope not.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

John@aircooled seems to have a handle on making them run correctly. Some people seem to like them.

If I had one I would give it an honest try. Sounds like they can be a challenge.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

Quote:
I've already trimmed it, now the bend has to be moved.
Fill the pipe with sand so that when you heat it and start to bend it, the pipe won't collapse/kink on the inside curve. A trick my dad taught me as a boy. Make a simple angle "template" with a piece of wire such as coat hanger, so that you can adjust your new bend to match it while the metal is still red hot.

Only one "L" in the brand, as seen here-
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

Haha, you're welcome! Tri-Mil is good stuff. Good luck with the progressive.

dennismcd707 wrote:

On the box it says "AC INDUSTRIES" and "TRI MILL COMPETITION", and I bought it from Aircooled.Net.

Thanks "steve mariott" of Humble Pie for getting me to switch the #1 and #3 pipes. That was the problem. Now if I could just get my heat riser tube to line up with the exhaust port!

Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
True Tri-Mill's don't have a flange... RB

I thought the Tri mill racing extractor came with merged pipes and this being the Tri mill Bobtail was supposed to have the flange.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: I need help with Tri Mil Bobtail Header with Quiet Pack muffler! Reply with quote

dennismcd707 wrote:

IMO the engine should be supported by more than the 'air deflectors'. I use some plywood with a hole to fit the sump plate on a moving 'roller' to support the load but it's your engine do it they way you want. Wink
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: