Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

I know this has been covered on some of these 60-61 aftermarket switches, but I haven’t found the proper diagram for the switch I have. I have one with these colored wires:

Black w/red stripe
Red w/white stripe
Green w/white stripe
Solid black
Yellow w/red stripe
Solid yellow

Anyone know what color goes where on this particular switch?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

none I see have those colors so time to get out the DVM and check
two wires will go for left side turn
two will be for right side turn
one power wire in
one out for the brake lights
you can activate the switch to see which are the turn signal wires and pair them then you have 2 left , one is the goesinga and the other is the goesouta
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
none I see have those colors so time to get out the DVM and check
two wires will go for left side turn
two will be for right side turn
one power wire in
one out for the brake lights
you can activate the switch to see which are the turn signal wires and pair them then you have 2 left , one is the goesinga and the other is the goesouta

Awesome, thanks, Rick.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

The 54st actaully is "input" from the brake light switch. Originally it was a black wire with a violet stripe ( and confusingly, junctions into the car wiring at a black wire with a red stripe, but there is ANOTHER such wire in the car's loom for the right rear blinker/stop bulb.

The 54st wire connects to both rear bulbs when the switch is centered. When you make a turn, it is no longer connected, but rather that bulb is now connected to the front bulb and both to the flasher relay. And vice versa for the other side. It might take a bit of work with a multi-meter to figure out exactly which wire was which. Why they just could not make all the wires same as VW's contractors did in the early 60s, I have no idea.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The 54st actaully is "input" from the brake light switch. Originally it was a black wire with a violet stripe ( and confusingly, junction-ed into the car wiring at a black wire with a red stripe, but there is ANOTHER such wire in the car's loom for the right rear blinker/stop bulb.

The 54st wire connects to both rear bulbs when the switch is centered. When you make a turn, it is no longer connected, but rather that bulb is now connected to the front bulb and both to the flasher relay. And vice versa for the other side. It might take a bit of work with a multi-meter to figure out exactly which wire was which. Why they just could not make all the wires same as VW's contractors did in the early 60s, I have no idea.

I wish they would’ve, they didn’t even have to be 100% identical as far as spiraling the stripes, but at least make them the same colors. I’ll have to do even more digging because there’s some other wires in this new WW harness that don’t quite match the original diagram. They have the red/black and yellow/black wires tied together, and the diagram shows those ad being separated, and at both ends of the fuse panel.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

post a pic of the top side of the switch, are any connecting points visible, like this?

If so you can put the DVM on them and the end of each wire to see at least where the right and left turn signal wires are. And then the in and out.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
post a pic of the top side of the switch, are any connecting points visible, like this?

If so you can put the DVM on them and the end of each wire to see at least where the right and left turn signal wires are. And then the in and out.

I was given this diagram, I’m going to try it to see if it’s correct.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

Just remember, on 60-61 turn switches, there are no simple lefts and rights. On this you have 4 corner bulbs distinct from each other. So, Left Front, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Rear.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Just remember, on 60-61 turn switches, there are no simple lefts and rights. On this you have 4 corner bulbs distinct from each other. So, Left Front, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Rear.

Exactly, I’ll definitely have to play around with it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

Easy to tell if that is correct, activate the switch for the right side and check for continuity for that side wire colors.
Back when I was repairing them I had a test board set with lights to check the output of the switch.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

Ok, I figured I should report back that I got it all figured out. Hopefully this post will help someone else in the future. The wiring is as follows:

Black/red goes to the black/red coming from the master cylinder
Green/white is right front turn signal (factory black/green)
Solid black is left front turn signal (factory black/white)
Yellow/red goes to factory black/red that goes to the rear of the car (right rear)
Red/white goes to factory black/yellow that goes to the rear of the car (left rear)
Solid yellow goes to + on the flasher
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

thanks for the follow up Cool
Do you know where the switch came from?

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960-61 aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
thanks for the follow up Cool
Do you know where the switch came from?

I bought it from Bob Koch, he said he got a bunch of these out of Egypt or something like that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: