Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this Syncro Front Hub shot?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

I've had a growling noise which I eventually isolated to the front passenger side (old post was leaning towards the Diff but thankfully that wasn't the case).

I pulled the hub and this is what I found:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see the outer race is still on the hub.. and I think that's the circlip as well.
Shouldn't the circlip have prevented this from coming out?

So is this hub toast? And if so where do I find another? Of course its a Saturday and all the usual vendors are closed but I don't see any on their sites or anywhere really.
Any leads on where I can pick one up?

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

The outer race is a light press-fit onto the hub. If a new bearing race still press-fits onto the hub it’s probably OK.

You have to get the inner race off.
Its not easy. Some people cut them off with a Dremel etc.

If you pressed it off, that would tell you if theres still a press fit at the outer bearing location.

Here’s a “shot” hub.
I’m guessing yours is OK.
Can you measure any reduced diameter?
Those divots from the previous mechanic aren’t anything to worry about as long as they’re not high.

I don’t recall seeing shims behind my inner bearing race.
Are you sure that exploded diagram is T3 Syncro?

Vendors don’t have new hubs, they are NLA.
You have to locate a good used hub.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

there was a guy who had some brandy new ones made, but I don't see the ad on Samba anymore.

you can also posibly use some loctite sleeve retaining stuff if you're concerned

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/products/industrial-adhesives/retaining-compounds.html

Quote:
As a type of anaerobic adhesive, retaining compounds are essential for the precision assembly of press- and slip-fitted parts, as well as any component that is used within systems subject to high vibration in challenging environmental conditions. Capable of filling spaces between individual components, they cure to form a strong bond and allow for the transmission of high loads without the need for air. This means sealed components and machine designs can still achieve high strength and temperature resistance across a variety of substrates.

Used across a broad range of mechanical components, as well as for bearings, shafts, and cylinder liners, retaining compounds are most commonly found within the automotive and heavy machinery industries. However, they can also be used in any industry where metal-to-metal adhesion is required for moving parts. Additionally, retaining compounds help manufacturers to avoid unnecessary machining of a broad range of mechanical components during MRO.

There are a number of reasons electrically high strength retaining compounds might be chosen over other methods of bonding and adhesion, and the advantages are clear. In fact, any type of component that will be under stress, that has a small adhesion area, and that is found within moving machinery, can benefit from retaining compounds. Moreover, any component that is at risk of fretting leading to corrosion can benefit from these materials to reduce wear and potential failure during operation.

For more information on individual products or the retaining compound range, contact one of our advisors today to discuss you needs and specific application

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

Sodo,
Thanks for the optimism.
Yeah you"re right. "Discontinued" is all I'm finding with searches.

That exploded diagram is from GoWesty's website.
I'm confused what the "shims" are between my hub and the race as well.
And shouldn't the circlip have held this outer bearing race in place?

Dan,
That's a solid idea. And I did see those new hubs from that guy in Norway a while back but can't find them online anywhere either.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

I think the guy in Norway cast Stainless Steel rear wheel bearing housings.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

As a last resort if you cannot find one anywhere find a really good machine shop with welding capabilities.
They can weld multiple beads all around the bearing surface to build it up and then turn it down to correct size on a lathe.
I know of crankshafts being done this way where the could not find a replacement anywhere.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

Mathew Zelezen wrote:

Those 3 shims are ‘significant’.
I’d wanna know what thats all about before reassembly.
That shim between the two races doesn’t make sense,
Maybe that’s not a Syncro bearing?
Maybe that hub has already been “repaired”.

Here’s a rough sketch of the assembly.
I sketched this in 2016, and was positive that someone would post a “real” drawing shortly.
Could it be this is the only Syncro front wheel bearing diagram on the earth?
And in all of Germany?
It sure would be great if someone with skills and Van-time on their hands…..
would make a real drawing, or even a CAD drawing of thi Syncro front wheel bearing assembly with seals and everything.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

So long as the inner race fits tight and square on the hub the hub is likely okay and the nicks and gouges wouldn't hurt any thing, at least if they aren't where the lip of the seal runs.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

Not necessarily. You need to get the other inner race off to compare to. Just because it has gouges in it, doesn't mean it won't fit correctly. If it's worn down, that's when there is a problem.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

And for inner race removal, this is the way

Link

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

that rules!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Not necessarily. You need to get the other inner race off to compare to. Just because it has gouges in it, doesn't mean it won't fit correctly. If it's worn down, that's when there is a problem.

If you are referring to my post, that is pretty much what I said.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
nicks and gouges wouldn't hurt any thing, at least if they aren't where the lip of the seal runs.

I’d also file those off as a matter of principle.
The seal doesn’t run there but they could nick the seal during assembly.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
nicks and gouges wouldn't hurt any thing, at least if they aren't where the lip of the seal runs.

I’d also file those off as a matter of principle.
The seal doesn’t run there but they could nick the seal during assembly.

Agreed, it looks like some ape worked on this hub previously. Sad
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

That's a great video hans j! I wish I had a vise and a torch but I'm in a campground right now so that brings its own challenges.

Sodo, I don't think your picture needs any improvements.. and its in COLOR! And since the internet is forever that drawing will be around longer than we will be! Hahaha!
OK, I'll either score the race and hit it with a chisel or have it pulled and we'll see what the deal is with the mystery spacers.
And I'll do what I can to "de-ape" the rim of the hub to prevent any damage to seals.

I'll report back with some pics when I get this thing apart.
I'm an ER Nurse and I work the next two nights so hopefully by Tuesday I'll know more.

As always, thanks for the help!

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

BernZOmatic makes a small oxy/acy torch set up.

It works, I have one.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=747720&highlight=

Get this torch, whittle a sturdy stick to fit the hub and shove it in the ground, you don't need a vise.

To put on the new one?
Put the hub in ice, better frozen but ice will suffice. Just dry itvwell before the hot race goes on. Maybe a gallon size ZipLoc bag to keep it dry while freezing it?

Then
A pot of oil on the camp stove, throw in the race and heat.
The same principle only gentler.

Be aware of your oils flash point.
Have the pot lid handy just in case.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

Link

Awesome!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? {SOLVED} Reply with quote

Got a bit of sleep and then tore into the bearings and housing.
It looks like the noise was DEFINITELY coming from the passenger side bearing. Notice the pitting and galling.
And the "shims" I thought I was seeing turned out to be an optical delusion. Its just the edges of the race.
Its worrisome that I had these bearings installed less than 7 months ago when I was in Maine. I spoke with my mechanic here at Outwesty (Awesome shop and solid guy who installed my new bearings here in Lake Tahoe) and he said he's witnessing the same short life span with bearings on his and his customer's vans. Poor quality/cheap materials?
At any rate, these current bearings are the "Italian" ones I picked up from Burley. Here's hoping they last a bit longer!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? {SOLVED} Reply with quote

Mathew Zelezen wrote:

Since the inner race is spinning it is surprising that the damage doesn't show all the way around the race.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is this Syncro Front Hub shot? {SOLVED} Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Mathew Zelezen wrote:

Since the inner race is spinning it is surprising that the damage doesn't show all the way around the race.

That is intersting.
My question: is this damage on the top side, bottom road side, front or rear of the bearing?
Front or rear should not be a problem, but windering what your tire looks like as far as tread wear goes.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: